Mountain Bikes

tdhanses

WKR
Decide to get into a new activity, picked up a bike yesterday. How many on here ride? Tips or pointers?

Post up a pic of your bikes.

C98DADE2-BB1C-4893-A3BE-B813981EE307.jpeg

Same bike as mine I think - Trek Marlin of some variety. Anyhow I recommend getting you a Bike Mechanics Work Stand - The other option is to go tubeless tires but with this bike it will be really expensive - Don't know what you paid for yours, but to go tubeless for mine would almost have double my cost (+$1300 vs. like $700).
I also recommend rope lights if you are riding at night. Doesn't add much weight but you are visible like no tomorrow. Weave the lights in the spokes and put the battery pack under the seat.

Bike Stand.jpg

Rig.jpg

Rig.2.jpg

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
I ride religiously, love it. Enjoy and get out as much as possible. The physical benefits are huge. Try to see if there are group rides as well, best way to push and learn is to ride with others. It can become expensive if you catch the bug. Nice bike!

Even in below zero I typically ride 10 miles a night. I have been putting together my SHTF bug out kit with this. Fun stuff. Combine riding, with bike paking, with hammock camping and there isn't anything stopping me ;)

schmalzy

WKR
Just picked up a used bike. Already seeing the $$$ that can get spent on it. Want to rig for public land hunting here in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Been mountain biking for years. Great exercise. Find some single track and you will get a good full body workout.

I’m still waiting for the trails to dry out up here

Is it still mountain biking when you live in Kansas?

Had a new tenant years ago that came here from somewhere Midwest, can't remember where now. Sold her bike shortly after moving.

I need to get back into it. Great workout.

scout76

FNG
They can be super handy for hunting.

Attachments

• 98696C95-6895-4562-B698-50C933B74D41.jpeg
    98696C95-6895-4562-B698-50C933B74D41.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 97

gburk

WKR
have never done the tubeless setup, is it as easy as get some wheel tape, sealant and a special stem, then throw out the tube? or should i be getting new tires too?
i'm mostly interested in avoiding flats, is it worth it?

SonnyDay

WKR
Nice ride! MTB is a great workout.

My $.02:

Lubricate your chain before every ride... and clean it afterwards. And replace the chain regularly as they stretch out over time (which will wear the sprockets/cassette and you'll need to spend more $$ to replace those)

Have fun!

Poser

WKR
have never done the tubeless setup, is it as easy as get some wheel tape, sealant and a special stem, then throw out the tube? or should i be getting new tires too?

Pretty much. Older wheels can be often be a headache, but, yeah, buy the kit and set it up. You’ll May need tubeless ready tires as well. Non specific tires can work, but often times worn tires won’t seal well. The initial inflation can be a bitch without compressed air. If you don’t have compressed air, taking the valve stem out for the initial pump and that will allow you to move more air and get the tire seated. Your first time through this whole process will involve some cussing, but you will get it figured out eventually.

gburk

WKR
thanks - think i'll give it a try since i seem to go through more than my share of tubes. I have air, but a flat in the field might be challenging. imagine you could slip a tube in there

curious why the tubeless upgrade mentioned above was some $600. I'd guess that's the difference between factory and aftermarket. Must include different rims

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Same bike as mine I think - Trek Marlin of some variety. Anyhow I recommend getting you a Bike Mechanics Work Stand - The other option is to go tubeless tires but with this bike it will be really expensive - Don't know what you paid for yours, but to go tubeless for mine would almost have double my cost (+$1300 vs. like $700).
I also recommend rope lights if you are riding at night. Doesn't add much weight but you are visible like no tomorrow. Weave the lights in the spokes and put the battery pack under the seat.

View attachment 174542

View attachment 174543

View attachment 174550

I almost went with a Marlin 7 but for $200 more I got into the Roscoe 6.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I ride religiously, love it. Enjoy and get out as much as possible. The physical benefits are huge. Try to see if there are group rides as well, best way to push and learn is to ride with others. It can become expensive if you catch the bug. Nice bike!

My buddy bought one last week and he’s what got me to jump into it, yeah I can see this being like anything, expensive if you let it.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Is it still mountain biking when you live in Kansas?

Had a new tenant years ago that came here from somewhere Midwest, can't remember where now. Sold her bike shortly after moving.

I need to get back into it. Great workout.

😂 we have some terrain but that’s hilarious!

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
For KS, I’d get a gravel bike.

We actually have about 25 trails specifically for mountain bikes within 30 mins of me, so plenty of places to get off the pavement or gravel.

So it's a lot more difficult than that if you're using the bike that you have pictured. I'm assuming that you stuck with the stock Bontrager Rims?

Anyhow here is a forum talking about it - results are hit or miss on the conversion (I actually don't think you will have luck converting) my advice would be to upgrade to tubeless rims but it's super costly

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: