Mountain Bikes

gburk

WKR
that's not my bike, i have a few 2000 era specialized's that are fully depreciated :)

What's special about that Marlin as far as tubeless setup?

Did you mean to include a link of some kind? or are you talking about us? :D
Anyhow here is a forum talking about it

brsnow

WKR
You need rims that are tubeless and tires as well , they don’t all work for a tubeless set up

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
NIce bike-I have a Trek similar to yours. When I first got it, after 20 years since riding my BMX bike, it was one heck of an eye opener climbing even small hills...

that's not my bike, i have a few 2000 era specialized's that are fully depreciated :)

What's special about that Marlin as far as tubeless setup?

Did you mean to include a link of some kind? or are you talking about us? :D
Sorry when I tried to post a link it didn't hit my edit should have fixed it so if you look above I should have the link on there now

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR
I upgraded to a 29 er two years ago. Nice break from hiking and great heart and lung workout. And a lot of fun on single track.

jmez

WKR
I ride but not near as much as I used to. I've been riding more lately and forgot how much fun it was! Black Hills has some great trails. My advice if you look at it and think no way, there is no shame in getting off and walking the bike!!

It didn't pay attention to your pedals. If you don't have clips, you need to get them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I ride a little. Living on the North Shore of Vancouver I grew up riding in one of the original mountain biking meccas. I was driving for more then 20 years before I owned a vehicle worth more then my bikes. :cool:

It's an awesome sport. Excellent full body workout, if the terrain is right.

Here's my bike, modified for use with the 2 year old. He's been on some pretty gnarly trails with me.

Attachments

• 20190921_090242.jpg
    20190921_090242.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
20200422_160219.jpg

Went on a ride this afternoon. Haven't used it to hunt but great way to get outside and try something new. Growing up my dad used his old road bike and a homemade paracordd sling to pedal his bow into the woods. Very versatile and fun contraptions

#1 Cut the dork disk off the cassette.

#2 Go tubeless- It will change everything about how you ride.

#3 I prefer riding clipless. It'll help with climbing a ton.

#4 Work on the fundamental controls of mountain biking, you'll have more fun in the long term if you can do a textbook log over or flat turn now.

#5 Have fun with the components on the bike. Don't get caught up trying to eek out every weight and performance game. I have spent so much money on bike parts and I don't have any more fun than I did when I started.

Kentucky

WKR
#1 Cut the dork disk off the cassette.

#2 Go tubeless- It will change everything about how you ride.

#3 I prefer riding clipless. It'll help with climbing a ton.

#4 Work on the fundamental controls of mountain biking, you'll have more fun in the long term if you can do a textbook log over or flat turn now.

#5 Have fun with the components on the bike. Don't get caught up trying to eek out every weight and performance game. I have spent so much money on bike parts and I don't have any more fun than I did when I started.

#1, #4/#5, you can do 4 and 5 at same time..
Clueless do help when your already good mountain biker, clueless will cause problems if not experienced rider, especially there terrain I ride in.

Great work out, opens lots of doors, bike packing trips and what not..

LandYacht

WKR
#1, #4/#5, you can do 4 and 5 at same time..
Clueless do help when your already good mountain biker, clueless will cause problems if not experienced rider, especially there terrain I ride in.

Great work out, opens lots of doors, bike packing trips and what not..

Clueless seems to cause lots of problems!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
have never done the tubeless setup, is it as easy as get some wheel tape, sealant and a special stem, then throw out the tube? or should i be getting new tires too?
i'm mostly interested in avoiding flats, is it worth it?

Get some Gorilla tape, sealant, and new stem and see if your tire’s bead will hook up on the rims you have. Worst case is they fold off the rim and don’t work, you’re out the cost of sealant and some tape.
Don’t bomb your first ride with them to make sure they will hold up. You’ll most likely need to air up if your bike sits any length of time in the garage as well.

You can spend as much money as your credit card will allow. However, the true satisfaction comes from riding. The bonus satisfaction comes from riding something you built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zpooch

Lil-Rokslider
I went back to tubes. Tubeless just isn't with the hassle. And what do you carry with you for when your magical tubeless doesn't work? Tubes. They take 3 minutes to put a new tube in, have good line choice and you won't be replacing them.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone give me a few recommendations for bikes around that $800 mark? I’ve been looking at the Scott ascent series.

twall13

WKR
Can anyone give me a few recommendations for bikes around that $800 mark? I’ve been looking at the Scott ascent series.
What type of riding are you planning on doing? Bike recommendations will vary greatly based on your intended use. In the $800 price range definitely don't look at anything but hardtail bikes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use a surly pugsley to commute to work, last year I commuted every day except when there was a ton of fresh snow.