Mountain Bikes

Can anyone give me a few recommendations for bikes around that $800 mark? I’ve been looking at the Scott ascent series.
you get what you pay for. An 800 bike will have crappy everything that needs replaced. a couple of grand will get you a great hardtail with components that work, ie brakes that stop and shifting that shifts. if getting a full suspension, you want to be in the 3500 range.

yes, i like bikes that work and don't brake down on me when i am in the bush.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
What type of riding are you planning on doing? Bike recommendations will vary greatly based on your intended use. In the $800 price range definitely don't look at anything but hardtail bikes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would use it on well used mountain bike trails around the valley. I wouldn’t say anything real technical and I don’t plan on being deep into the backcountry but certainly a bit of uphill. I’ve been borrowing a Scott hard tail and I think it’s a fantastic tool for fitness. I don’t plan on using it for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vandy321

WKR
This thread is the last thing I need...rokslide continues to prove to be a money pit.

Looks awesome ladies and gents!

I bought a fatbike 5-6 years ago to access a road closure area I had a grizz tag in. I rode in about 25km with a loaded backpack on. Had an absolute blast on that trip. I had some great pics but lost my camera while driving home! I still use that bike plenty. I try to hike or bike every day after work.

twall13

WKR
I would use it on well used mountain bike trails around the valley. I wouldn’t say anything real technical and I don’t plan on being deep into the backcountry but certainly a bit of uphill. I’ve been borrowing a Scott hard tail and I think it’s a fantastic tool for fitness. I don’t plan on using it for hunting.

With that in mind the Scott wouldn't be a bad one to look at in your price range. I don't know that model in particular but it looks like it's geared towards cross country, which sounds like it might work out for you wanting to hitnaome hills and use it for exercise. Scott is a good brand. I could point you to a few other brands as well but honestly, if you are comfortable with the Scott and can get it I'd go with it. Bikes are pretty hard to get right now so it may come down to what you can find in stock. You could probably get a bit more bike for your money if you buy a used one that's a couple years old. Go to your local bike shop and have them fit you so you know what size to ride, being tall they may even recommend a mens bike for you. After you know your size it's easier to start shopping.

I look at components for the price over brand most of the time but that's just me. You aren't going to get fantastic components at that price but they should still be functional. Just maintain it and it will work (lots of helpful YouTube videos for maintenance). I get it when guys say not to go cheap, once you ride a really nice bike for a while it's hard to go back, but just starting out I think it's more important to get something serviceable and start riding.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
It’s a great hobby that will help keep you in shape. If anyone wants to come and ride the new Palisade Plunge trail near Palisade give me a shout. 33 miles, 2000‘ up, 6000’ down.74E1300C-6F05-4A48-9D34-CC6F7A96C144.jpeg

Loco4dux

WKR
I rode bmx bikes when I was a kid, messed around with a hardtail on some trails in college, but just got a real bike last year. It’s pretty fun and good exercise which is really why I got it. Don’t crash! Idk if my hip and ribs will ever be the same.

Attachments

• 822D9AE8-6D1D-491D-918E-B2C724F5D479.jpeg
    822D9AE8-6D1D-491D-918E-B2C724F5D479.jpeg
    512.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 8EEE859D-C244-46F7-ABF8-100890841472.jpeg
    8EEE859D-C244-46F7-ABF8-100890841472.jpeg
    691.5 KB · Views: 45

Phaseolus

WKR
I rode bmx bikes when I was a kid, messed around with a hardtail on some trails in college, but just got a real bike last year. It’s pretty fun and good exercise which is really why I got it. Don’t crash! Idk if my hip and ribs will ever be the same.
Is that the new 5010?

grfox92

WKR
I used to race downhill 20 years ago in my mid to late teens I spent over 5k building that bike in 2001. I think downhill bikes have actually become less expensive over the years based on what I'm seeing available now.

You used to buy a frame and build a bike, not buy a complete bike.

I would like to dust off the old rig and have the suspension re sealed and get back on it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Sniff

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, its another money pit. But it can be so fun ripping down trails. Just got my Ripmo AF! It smashes almost anything I can throw at it.

Ibis Ripmo AF (2) wife has one as well
Surly Krampus 29+
Surly Cross Check (Gravel/Road)
Trek Farley (Fat Bike)

Shit ain't cheap, and new tires (decent ones) cost as much as a low end car tire. Like hunting gear, you pay for what you get.

Jimbuck

FNG
Great thread. It's awesome seeing what everyone is riding. I rode BMX for a long time and just recently picked up a Trek Farley 5 after being out of the market for the past 15 years. As others have already said - it's worth spending a little more on a bike with good components right out of the gate if you can.

Last fall I was trying to find one & someone here on RS recommended checking out Pinkbike.com
I found a used carbon full suspension bike for a really good price. Don't overlook sites like that as well as Craigslist.
Bikes are like anything else that requires effort, people lose interest really fast

Titan_Bow

WKR
I picked up a Salsa Timberjack a few years ago and I really love it. I use it for hunting when I can and just like to do rides to stay in shape. For me, it works great for spring bear hunting in NW Montana and for whitetail hunting in eastern Colorado and Nebraska

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04