Mountain biking pictures, post up.

a3dhunter

WKR
Plenty of people get stuck in a gym for 8 months out of a year, for those that don't and choose to spend some time riding bikes post up your pictures.

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
DSCN0469-1.jpg

DSCN0471-1.jpg

DSCN0473-1.jpg

DSCN0474.jpg

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
well, that bike above is gone, sold it and upgraded to a 2012 Kona Mahuna 29er with 100mm front fork and hydraulic disc brakes.
Went for another ride yesterday, 15 miles in town, and then about 10 miles on trails today in the middle of the afternoon. The last pic shows the temps in the shade.
Hit the trails again today with it, riding solo so no action pics.

2012-05-20_10-42-14_261.jpg

2012-06-03_15-37-27_890.jpg

2012-06-03_15-37-34_648.jpg

2012-06-03_15-38-39_860.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
Those look like some really fun, and fast trails! Around here its a little more bumpy, and a little less open. I cant wait to move west so i can mountain bike too. Im lucky enough to live within reasonable driving distance to some really fun single track trails around here.

Its a great way to get a workout thats forsure. But you would get an even better workout if you got rid of those gears and go single speed like i did :)

OP
a3dhunter

a3dhunter

WKR
A3d.... get rid of those pedal and get some clip ins!

I find it easier to bail when not clipped in!
Plenty of times where putting a foot down has saved a crash and allowed me to keep riding without stopping, whereas if I was clipped in I would have looked like an upside down turtle.
maybe some day......

Lawnboi

WKR
Plenty of times where putting a foot down has saved a crash and allowed me to keep riding without stopping, whereas if I was clipped in I would have looked like an upside down turtle.
maybe some day......

It takes some practice, but you will learn with clips how to pull them out fast if needed. I can do it just as fast as with pedals believe it or not. The ride is 100% better with clips, you will be faster, more efficient and not have to worry about losing your pedals. My suggestions if you like mountain biking, GET CLIPS and practice in your yard for a while, it really is alot easier then it seems and they will make your ride so much more enjoyable.

I know around here most of the trails are so bumpy, and the turns are so sharp that without clips its very hard to stay on your pedals.

Id rather fall with my whole bike still attached (hasnt happened to me in 6 years! The clips always breakway) Then have my foot slip on my pedal and take one in the nuts.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Lawnboi, clipping out of clipless pedals becomes second nature really quick, and in a real wipeout they let you go like ski bindings.

Lukem

WKR
I'm in the same boat as a3d, I've been using cages on my mountain bike and can't get the hang of my clips. I rode most of a season with CrankBro candy's and have never fallen so much, I got beat up. I have the eggbeaters on my roadbike and love them, but on the mountain, I'm not coordinated enough to do it. I'm athletic enough that I can keep up with everybody I ride with, so I don't fret it too much. I wish I could do it. I really don't have much trouble staying on the pedals and we have some the roughest trails you can ride here in the Black Hills. Might be time to try the clips again though.

Lawnboi

WKR
Lukem, eggbeaterrs are your problem. I prefer the shimano (cant remember the name. You can adjust the tension to your needs. And they are super easy to get off, a simple twist and they pop like nothing. Honestly they are just as easy for me now as with pedals. And yes i take my fair share of diggers, never had a problem.

Clips are necessary around here, its soo rooty, rocky and especially since i ride single speed. I NEED that traction and to be able to use force not only in the downward motion but also i am able to pull up. Cause i have no gears to shift down and make it easier, but i like it like that :)

I would atleast give them a try a3d. They really help alot. Dont be scared! Ill admit when i tried them 5 or so years ago i was a little worried, and i took my bike with me to the ground in the yard more than a few times. Buy you will learn fast! Your ride will be faster, and you will have more control of your bike

BigSurArcher

Banned
maybe some day......

Weak........

Gman

WKR
Don't fear the clips. Coming to a stop, wobbling as you try to unclip, and falling over attached to your bike in slow motion is a rite of passage. You'll most likely do it only once and never look back.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I hate to be a nitpicking gearhead ... :)

but clips are those goofy looking cages on bikes form the 90's that go well with a mullet.

clipLESS petals have a binding that hold the cleat in your shoe.

And I am not sure how you guys ride MTBs without clipless pedals. I think they do, for psych reasons, keep you in your bike when you would otherwise put your foot down, but that is a good thing, right?

And I am a big Crank Bros. fan. It is a preference thing, but I am not going back to SPD.