Mountain Biking

Lawnboi

WKR
Just picked up a new bike and am itching to get out and do some riding. Still a foot of snow on the ground around here, and its looking like the trails will be closed a little longer than normal. Hopefully some of them open for the normal may opener around here.

Looking for adivice on some trails to try. This summer id like to get out for an extended weekend and do some biking out west (maybe twice if I have a lot of fun).

I don't want to go too far, so because of that im mainly looking at SD black hills along with the east side of WY.

Any reccomendations would be appreciated

Any of you guys get out this year yet? Its tough just getting a new bike and having it sit in the living room with no trails open around here.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am in the process of building a mountain bike from scratch. Every part purchased and putting it together. I think by next saturday I will have most of it done.

6t4nova

WKR
I hear ya about getting out and riding. I just picked up a Yeti ASR-5 last week and have been trying to ride as much as I can. Worst case, just go ride on the roads to satisfy the itch :)

Curtis C

WKR
Heres a list you can look through. You might be able to find something open in your area. When our trails get covered up I start riding the city maintained bike paths. A lot of ours are "Rails to Trails" paths. Most are paved but dont allow motor vehicles. Look at your gity government page and they may have those mapped.

Wyoming
South Dakota

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Theres a few trails around here that are just gravel that are still pretty soft. It snowed today and is supposed to for the next couple days here I guess.

I never have seen that on mtbr so thanks for that.

Just picked up a trek fuel ex 5. Its the most I could afford, actually more than I can afford, but is my first full sus bike. I figure I can upgrade components as they wear out and make it into a pretty good bike.

Last edited:
I still have the same GT Avalanche I bought in Bozeman MT about 14 years ago. It spent a lot of time in exile in the garage while we owned horses, but it's getting much more work nowadays. Trails around here are clear of snow, but still pretty muddy in places. I've been running them but not biking yet.

jmez

WKR
A lot of trails here in the Hills to ride. I'm fortunate enough to live right next to the Forest Service in the Hills and ride right out of my driveway. Centenial trail is good, Little Elk Creek Canyon. Dalton lake loop. Those are all close to me and not that technically difficult.

Some of the trails here are pretty steep, rocky and nasty. Those MTBR reviews will generally have a difficulty level. Keep that in mind when choosing trails. There are roads and trails all over the Black Hills. You can pretty much take off and ride anywhere you want.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
^ that's what I like to hear. Looking a lot more at the centennial trail as it looks like a pretty good one.

Also looks like I have the oppritunity to do some bikepacking out there, ever do any of that?

I like the technical stuff, we have some very good trails around here in wi believe it or not, im no beginner and would be going out there for a challenge

It may be another month before I can get out on trails around here. Some are open year round, but theres still snow on the ground in most places. Winter is still here in WI. May is when most of the more popular trails open up around here.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
I am in the process of building a mountain bike from scratch. Every part purchased and putting it together. I think by next saturday I will have most of it done.

Im going to strip down my old bike and do some upgrading on it. Its already been converted to a rigid single speed so I think ill continue with that idea and upgrade some components. Maybe give the frame a matte tan finish

jmez

WKR
Storm Mountain would be good if you like technical. I've never been there but it is a popular spot amongst the better riders. Can be pretty tricky I guess. Kid recently was killed there. 21 years old, advanced rider. Lost control of his bike on a downhill came off the bike and hit a tree.

The spots I mentioned aren't real technical, I'm too old for that crap. Like I said, there are just tons of nice places to ride. None of the trails in the hills are closed to bikes so you can get off on any of them. The only bikepacking I do is when I get to a spot where I say, no way am I riding a bike down that. Pick my bike up and walk. Actually have never even heard of it?

After riding the Trek you will have a tough time getting back on a hardtail.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Storm Mountain would be good if you like technical. I've never been there but it is a popular spot amongst the better riders. Can be pretty tricky I guess. Kid recently was killed there. 21 years old, advanced rider. Lost control of his bike on a downhill came off the bike and hit a tree.

The spots I mentioned aren't real technical, I'm too old for that crap. Like I said, there are just tons of nice places to ride. None of the trails in the hills are closed to bikes so you can get off on any of them. The only bikepacking I do is when I get to a spot where I say, no way am I riding a bike down that. Pick my bike up and walk. Actually have never even heard of it?

After riding the Trek you will have a tough time getting back on a hardtail.

Bikepacking as in carrying some backpacking gear while biking and spending a night on the trail.

I think im going to like the full suspension. I don't race and have no intention to so speed and weight is not a big concern of mine. The suspension may make the ride that much more comfortable when I want it to be. When not I still have my rigid single speed that Id like to fix up.

People dieing might be a little too technical for me!
Id like to get out there to the black hills in june or july for 2-3 solid days of riding.

jmez

WKR
You could bikepack about anywhere you wanted in the Hills. There are far more trails than you could ride in a weekend. Great place to ride.

You will love the suspension, especially coming downhill. Makes a huge difference in ride comfort. I just upgraded to a 29er, haven't had it long but wow, what a difference three inches makes. I don't race either and I'll never ride a hardtail again. The FS bikes are plenty fast!!

Lukem

WKR
Here's a list and maps of most of the trails in the Hills.

http://www.blackhillsrunnersclub.com/trail-maps

The best place to start would be Hansen-Larson in Rapid City. Awesome trails. The rest are all great too, they just get a lot more technical. Like jmez said, more trails than you could ride in a week.

The guy that was killed was on "The Phoenix" a massive downhill course to the south of most of the Storm Mtn trails.

I ride a Fuel 5.5, and your 5 will be just fine for about anything in the Hills. Good bike, just need to upgrade the components as you can. Just like everything else we do (packs, bows, etc, etc...) :)

Last edited:

supercub

FNG
You could look into the Maah Daah Hey Trail in western ND. It's over 100 miles of trail thru the badlands. If you are interested in camping and riding the entire trail, there is a company (http://www.dakotacyclery.com/) that will shuttle your gear from campsite to campsite. Scout for mule deer while your at it. ND has cheap nonresident mule deer archery tags that are easy to draw.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Its still extremely wet here in the Midwest. Here in central WI we still have a good bit of snow left on the ground.

And we have only had about 1 or 2 days in the last couple weeks that it hasn't been raining or snowing.... so its been a very wet spring, which im sure will slow the trail openings down quite a bit.

Im hoping a few open atleast by May. Tough having just got a full sus bike and not being able to really put it to use. Might have to travel south a little bit to find some trails this spring.

6t4nova

WKR
I'm down in Durango this week for work. Brought my bike with me and have been riding in the evenings. There are some bitchin trails down here! Of course some of the pro riders have flown by me, but its all good and fun anyhow!