“Mountain boots” the differences?

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
I’m one of those guys that believes that if your feet don’t work, you don’t work. I’m making my first trip for elk this year and was wondering just how important “mountain boots” really are. I bought two pairs of crispi’s, one pair being the titan gtx. The other being the Thor gtx. I have never worn this much boot before. Closest I’ve probably came is my old trusty Danner pronghorn’s (which are still my favorite, comfiest boot I’ve ever worn). I’ve been wearing both pairs of my crispis around, and they just feel... I’m not sure how to describe it. Blocky I guess would be the best word. They’re not uncomfortable. Just different. I’m not used to such a stiff sole. Is this something I’m going to appreciate when hauling a pack in the mountains and putting in upwards of 10-12 miles of hiking a day? Or am I going to regret not bringing my danners along?

wapitibob

WKR
It depends on your feet and the terrain you are hunting. I used soft hikers for decades then after an Antelope hunt with miles on scab rock my feet were toast, along with the hikers I used. Flexing with every step was just too much. Switched to Hanwag Alaska, which is a stiff all leather boot and haven't switched back yet. If you hunt softer ground, pine type country hikers will probably work just fine. I had no problem sneaking and the Hanwags were actually quieter than the tennis shoes I wore one day. I would take the Danners as well and switch up depending on the ground you're hunting.

I used to wear Danners (Pronghorns, Elk Ridge, etc), but bought a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX several years ago when my Kenetreks weren't working out. I wear my Crispis now exclusively, but bring along an old pair of Pronghorns as back-up. I haven't had to use them yet though. If you have the luxury of extra space, a spare pair of boots is a good idea.

EastMT

WKR
On flat ground, shorten your pace a little bit, helps with the clunky feel, uphill and side hilling is where they will shine. I don’t have crispi but similar, when you dig in your toe in headed uphill it’s amazing. Try standing on the edge of a stair step with about an inch of your toe on the edge, then do this in your flexible boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
There is a time and a place for everything and when it comes to climbing steep, rock strewn hills, you're going to appreciate the stiff sole. I find a stiff sole is also especially helpful going downhill. We each are different though so you really need to get out there and try some climbing.

A true mountaineering boot, by definition, has a full shank and is crampon compatible. Examples: LA Sportiva Trango Cube, Scarpa Zodiac Tech, Zamberlan Ibex, etc. May be leather or synthetic and vary in weight from very heavy to as light as a pair of tennis shoes. Some are just hiking boots with an added full shank and crampon shelf, some are designed for summiting 14ers.
Trekking/hiking/hunting boots fall in between full on mountain boots and field boots. They'll have a little stiffness to the sole, but not a full shank. All Crispis fall in this category, all backpacking companies make them, lots of options to choose from in terms of fit, width, and material.
Uphill, sidehill, and downhill with a load, true mountaineering boots really shine. Less foot fatigue, calf fatigue, and chance for injuries.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Pgohil

WKR
I echo elkguides sentiment 100%. I bought a pair of Crispi Idahos last summer for my September Idaho elk hunt(ironic I know). when I first put them on, I was worried I had wasted so much money there was no way I was going to be able to hike miles upon miles in these boots. But the instant I stepped into the woods behind my house, all fears were alleviated. They absolutely shine in more rugged terrain. I did not get one blister or hotspot nor had any trouble at all. The only thing I did was put superfeet green insoles it and it made for a slightly more comfortable feel.

I I am extremely pleased with them, and they have become my go-to boot for any rough terrain, even deer hunting here in West Virginia.

PGohil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
I used to tear my feet up every time I hit the woods in soft sole boots. I have 2 pairs of Lowas. My full on late season Oregon boots are La Sportiva Nepals. These are not for everyone, but the stiff soles and the super waterproof have really worked for me.

my experience is that flexible boots are great on easy trails with a light pack, the stiff boots really shine loaded down or in rough country.