MOUNTAIN CARIBOU

OLE1021

FNG
HAS ANYONE HUNTED MOUNTAIN CARIBOU IN THE YUKON OR B.C.? WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT THE BEST GUIDES AND ANY INFORMATION I COULD GET. I KNOW I CANT AFFORD $25K SO IM HOPING TO HEAR ABOUT OTHER OPTIONS

THANKS

CLINT

I hunted Mt caribou DIY 8 times in BC and have hunted them with an outfitter 1.2 times in the Mackenzie Mts of the NWT (the .2 was 2 days at the end of an archery Dall sheep hunt). NWT has a lot more animals vs BC. Have not hunted the Yukon for any species. Do not overlook the eight Mackenzie Mt region outfitters in NWT in your search, in fact they would be my first choice with my very limited knowledge of the Yukon.

OLE, if you want a Mt Caribou in the Yukon, be aware that they also have Barren Ground caribou up there. I don't know the boundary lines off the top of my head but P&Y and or B&C should have that info available. Good luck!

OLE, if you want a Mt Caribou in the Yukon, be aware that they also have Barren Ground caribou up there. I don't know the boundary lines off the top of my head but P&Y and or B&C should have that info available. Good luck!

From Boone and Crocket

The so-called mountain caribou, now regarded as a variety of woodland caribou, is found in British Columbia, Alberta, southern Yukon Territory, and the Mackenzie Mountains of Northwest Territories. In Yukon Territory, the boundary (Figure 2-K) begins at the intersection of the Yukon River with the boundary between Yukon Territory and the state of Alaska. The boundary runs southeasterly following the Yukon River upstream to Dawson; then easterly and southerly along the Klondike Highway to Stewart Crossing; then easterly following the road to Mayo; then northeasterly following the road to McQuesten Lake; then easterly following the south shore of McQuesten Lake and then upstream following the main drainage to the divide leading to Scougale Creek to its confluence with the Beaver River; then south following the Beaver River downstream to its confluence with the Rackla River; then southeasterly following the Rackla River downstream to its confluence with the Stewart River; then northeasterly following the Stewart River upstream to its confluence with the North Stewart River to the boundary between Yukon Territory and Northwest Territories. North of this line caribou are classified as barren ground caribou for records-keeping purposes, while those specimens taken south of this line are considered mountain caribou.c2-k-caribou-mountain_600pxw.jpg

Bghntr416

FNG
I hunted with Tahltan Outfitters in BC in 2019 for moose and Caribou. It is expensive but won't cost you 25k. You have to fly in which is extra and adds to the cost. It is a horseback hunt. Beautiful country. The caribou migrate through his area. I saw a lot of bulls but we hit the migration right.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I used to guide in the Yukon, was even lucky enough to win the Yukon Outfitters Association's belt buckle one year for guiding the biggest caribou taken in the Yukon. There are quite a few outfitters up here that have decent caribou in their area, as well as a lot of the operations just on the other side of the border in the NWT. If you want shoot me a PM and I can answer any questions you might have about any of the operations I've been fortunate enough to work with.IMG_1607 (1).JPG

Bghntr416

FNG
The guys that hunted ahead of us killed really good bulls too but we saw a ton of animals as we were right in the middle of the migration. An incredible sight.

Kotaman

WKR
I believe most if not all of Tombstone’s caribou are considered Barren Ground Caribou due to the dividing line. Now, that doesn’t mean they are Barren Ground, but the imaginary line says they are.
Tombstone in the Yukon would be a good bet. All of the NWT outfitters would get you on a good caribou

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I used to guide in the Yukon, was even lucky enough to win the Yukon Outfitters Association's belt buckle one year for guiding the biggest caribou taken in the Yukon. There are quite a few outfitters up here that have decent caribou in their area, as well as a lot of the operations just on the other side of the border in the NWT. If you want shoot me a PM and I can answer any questions you might have about any of the operations I've been fortunate enough to work with.View attachment 255383
That is a generous offer. I would be sending WCS a email.

Xavier

FNG
Following. I’m currently trying plan a hunt with brother in-law. Who lives in BC to host me on a caribou/moose hunt.