Mountain food try it before! Looking at you Peak Refuel

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Just throwing it out there again as its been said before. TRY YOUR FOOD BEFORE YOU GET ON THE MOUNTAIN!!

Bought into the hype on the Peak Refuel meals and bought a few cases from Black Ovis for our group before our big hunt in the Frank this year. Well some of the them were good (looking at you chicken teriyaki) but have to say more then half the flavors were not great but at least edible but two of them were downright some of the worst things I've ever had the misfortune to try and eat (chilli mac and homestyle chicken and rice).

Wanted to put it out there since I'd seen a lot of guys come on here and sing to the heavens how amazing Peak meals are but its a reminder that everyone's taste buds are different and you want to find that out before you get up on the mountain miles from your truck.

I'll be going back to mountain house while I sample around others.

good luck to everyone who still got tags and trip coming up.

Rob5589

WKR
True. The sweet pork and rice was wayyy to sweet. I like the home style chicken and rice. Something I found was they all need a touch more water and an extra 5 mins or so to steep. One thing for certain, if the Peak doesn't do it for you, Mountain House surely won't :LOL:

204guy

WKR
Same experience here. Bought the packs from blackovis. Mostly good but Home style chicken and chilimac are nearly inedible. Tasted like burnt crockpot food, like been in a crockpot for 48hrs burnt. Bad batches maybe? I dont think I've ever had a mtn house as bad as those 2. Reminds me I need to sell what I have left of those 2. :sick:

OP
F

fnf01

Lil-Rokslider
Same experience here. Bought the packs from blackovis. Mostly good but Home style chicken and chilimac are nearly inedible. Tasted like burnt crockpot food, like been in a crockpot for 48hrs burnt. Bad batches maybe? I dont think I've ever had a mtn house as bad as those 2. Reminds me I need to sell what I have left of those 2. :sick:
This is it, I was thinking it was a bad "spice" as I could still taste that burnt "flavor" in other meals after trying these two. I wonder if a bad batch might be it, I can't imagine anyone actually liking that chilimac or homestyle rice

As for MH I've never had one nearly as bad as these, I've actually had pretty good luck with most MH meals.

bsnedeker

WKR
Man, I think Peak is hands down the best meals available that I have tried! I think the homestyle chicken and rice is delicious! The chicken alfredo and the beef pasta are also really good. I'll take them over MH any day of the week. I also really like Next Mile Meals.

I agree taste is subjective but regardless of taste my hunting buddies prefer that I eat Peak...MH causes me issues on the back end...

Also good to know how those foods are going to effect you. Better to know if it gives you the bubble guts before you get miles out, and are flipping rocks everywhere. Or if you’re sharing a tent with your buddy. Not trying to be nasty, but some of the freeze dry meals can mess your guts up badly.

This is it, I was thinking it was a bad "spice" as I could still taste that burnt "flavor" in other meals after trying these two. I wonder if a bad batch might be it, I can't imagine anyone actually liking that chilimac or homestyle rice

As for MH I've never had one nearly as bad as these, I've actually had pretty good luck with most MH meals.
Must be a bad batch or you both were having strokes 😬😅

I have enjoyed both of those flavors, and I usually only like maybe half the flavors from MH or Peak. The chicken and rice is probably tied with MH Italian Pepper steak for my favorite.

If this happened recently and you contact Ovis or Peak, I bet they replace it with another one to try...if you’re up for it lol.

KHNC

WKR
Just throwing it out there again as its been said before. TRY YOUR FOOD BEFORE YOU GET ON THE MOUNTAIN!!

Bought into the hype on the Peak Refuel meals and bought a few cases from Black Ovis for our group before our big hunt in the Frank this year. Well some of the them were good (looking at you chicken teriyaki) but have to say more then half the flavors were not great but at least edible but two of them were downright some of the worst things I've ever had the misfortune to try and eat (chilli mac and homestyle chicken and rice).

Wanted to put it out there since I'd seen a lot of guys come on here and sing to the heavens how amazing Peak meals are but its a reminder that everyone's taste buds are different and you want to find that out before you get up on the mountain miles from your truck.

I'll be going back to mountain house while I sample around others.

good luck to everyone who still got tags and trip coming up.
If you think Peak is bad, be sure you dont try Heather's Choice. Nasty. Mtn House is still the best choice besides making your own meals.

mlgc20

WKR
Always a good idea to try your backcountry food at home. I’ve tried lots of things that either sounded good or had good reviews. But, they just didn’t work for me.

I highly recommend PackIt Gourmet. By far the best meals I’ve ever had. Their Texas Chili is my go to. And their egg dishes actually taste like, you know, eggs.