Mountain food try it before! Looking at you Peak Refuel

Drenalin

WKR
Can someone tell me more about their experience with Heather's Choice meals. I have all the packaroons and think they are amazing. I was going to by the chili and maybe the salmon chowder but want to hear what everyone is saying as to why they are not good.
I heard a lot of bad reviews on Heather's Choice meals before I tried a couple for myself. The chili was edible, but not great. The taste wasn't the issue for me, it was the texture - the sweet potatoes were weird when they rehydrated, and each bite was basically a mouthful of mush. The salmon chowder was just kind of meh - not good, not bad, just there. The best thing about these meals is that the packaging is very small compared to other options. I can tolerate the food enough to use them again if space is a concern, but if space isn't a concern I'll be using the Peak meals for better flavor and texture.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to bring your Peak Refuel chicken alfredo to the next level add a chicken ramen to it. I make the ramen in ziplock bag then mix in to the alfredo after its rehydrated.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
From an outside perspective.

To me it seems like one group grew up eating school lunches, the other, their parents packed their lunches.
I am glad someone else said what I was thinking. Haha.

When I am on the mountain, I am not that picky. Then again, maybe the military changed how I viewed food in general.....

I usually choose between Peak and MH, and typically with Peak stick to the Pork, Alfredo, Teriyaki and Pesto, and I believe all of them are good. I'll never complain about eating a hot meal when I am cold, wet, chafed and my quads are torched.

Last edited:
So much value in this post right here! I had a backcountry pantry dinner in colorado one day and the whole next day was spent passing gas and feeling like I had to go diarrhea. Not good on a 9 day hunt to be out a good day due to food. I prefer home made meals frozen and reheated in water.

It's surprising to me there isn't a good brand when it comes to freeze dried food. It seems like a good business opportunity based on how many people are disgruntled with the options available.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I really enjoy the peak meals. all the pastas gronola beef stroganof and such have been great. I always bring some tobasco packets to add a little flavor but overall iv been super happy with them. i ate like 40 bags last year lol

I totally disagree on the Peak, I think they‘re great. Except for the sweet pork & rice, nasty.

I don’t assume I’m the first person to think of this....but if you haven‘t yet tried, your welcome.......

Get a bunch of individual packets of parmesan cheese (like you get with your pizza), hot sauce (tapatio), and soy sauce and pack those along according to what meals you‘re bringing. Game changer! That parmesan can make almost any of them better.