Mountain goat for a flatlander

curious...
Is there anywhere to hunt mountain goat that doesn't require crampons, safety ropes and the dexterity of the six million dollar man? I have never been after them but, I have seen them way up there many times and all the trophy pics look like they are in serious country. I have been putting in for points in CO just for the fun of it. Would like to do this someday but, wishing I would have done it 20 years ago!!!

OP
100percent
I will definitely check into that! Thanks for your suggestion.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Lots of places don't require all that gear. I've been on plenty of hikes into the alpine that finish off with a view hanging around mountain goats. Just wouldn't be PC or good PR to smoke one in front of the rock climbers...

Late season hunts will take you into sketchy terrain, but in the summer goats can be found all over the place, including in grassy alpine bowls.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Dad and I both got goats in Northwest BC last summer without crampons, ropes, etc. my dad is 68 and was able to climb up and help carry out both goats. We are from Kansas so definitely not what you would called mountaineering experts.

OP
100percent
Damn it boy!!!! Glad to hear it! You are making me feel bad for asking! I guess everybody puts on their crampons, ties a rope to their belt and drags the goat to the nearest ice chute to get the hero shot???

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
They can be found a sea level. There are paved coastal roads in Alaska, where the Mt. Goats cross the road and lick the sea salt off the rocks. They sometimes get hit be cars or snowplows.

We have shot them right along side the road many times. Drive the Car yes... the car, right up to them and take them home whole, not gutted. We have shot them on the runway, and taxied right up to them, bring them home whole and gut and process them at home in the garage.

We have landed next to them on frozen lake, camped the night under the plane wing, shot Goats from the tent, still in the sleeping bag. Break camp, taxied over to them, load them up whole, and have them home, hung, gutted, skinned, and hanging in the meat house to cool, grab a beer and catch the kick-off of the Noon football game.

We have harvested many dozens of Alaska Mt. Goats, and never walked up or down hill. One time we drove a Brand New 1973 Lincoln Continual right up to about 45 Alaska Mt. Goats, got out of the car, walked off of the road and shot four Goats at about 50 to 75 yards, there was snow, so we dragged them to the Lincoln and put three in the trunk and one in the back seat on the floor. I have them here in my backyard a several times a year, just small groups, of twelve to twenty.

Properly processed (Easy when hung in the garage or airplane hanger) Mountain Goat is the finest game meat.....period. But you sure hear horror stories of disgusting uneatable goat meat that was poorly processed.

Last edited:

Gdavis3rd

FNG
Do u have to have a guide to hunt Mt gost in alaska like sheep or can you DIY it?

George Davis
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comerade

FNG
I hunt goats every year and have worked for outfitters as a Guide around here.In our region you can get yourself in a risky situation , you must take a coil of rope, crampons would just be dangerous though. The oldtimers wear hobnail boots.
You will want to allow their winter hair to grow in and that means not hunting them to early.
I am a sheep hunter and truthfully a Goat can go places that would kill a sheep. We have retrieved Billies from some scary places, it is always easier to go up than come down the bluff or rock chute.
You will see them at mineral licks but those that are accessible by vehicle are closed. A lick is a great way to study them . Regions are different but here in the Canadian Rockies this is pretty much what it is like. Good luck & it is a great hunt

curious...
Is there anywhere to hunt mountain goat that doesn't require crampons, safety ropes and the dexterity of the six million dollar man? I have never been after them but, I have seen them way up there many times and all the trophy pics look like they are in serious country. I have been putting in for points in CO just for the fun of it. Would like to do this someday but, wishing I would have done it 20 years ago!!!
There are plenty of places and opportunities to hunt mountain goats where climbing gear is not required. I think crampons (or actually microspikes in my case), are very useful, but still aren't required, and if you don't have any climbing experience, you shouldn't even entertain the thought of bringing climbing gear. I have no climbing experience, don't plan on becoming experienced in climbing or using climbing gear, and don't plan on chasing goats or killing goats where that is required. If you are in decent enough shape there are places you can mountain goat hunt and be successful. While being in the best shape possible is definitely a plus when it comes to mountain hunting, it's not the do all say all, and far too many people under value the mental toughness that is often times required to be a successful mountain hunter. Don't let the idea of "being too old" influence your decision on whether or not to try goat hunting, or mountain hunting in general. I do at least one mountain hunt a year and, knock on wood, I'll continue that tradition for many, many more years to come. Oh, and I'll be 51 in a few weeks, so if you need any birthday gift ideas, just let me know.:)

OP
100percent
They can be found a sea level. There are paved coastal roads in Alaska, where the Mt. Goats cross the road and lick the sea salt off the rocks. They sometimes get hit be cars or snowplows.

We have shot them right along side the road many times. Drive the Car yes... the car, right up to them and take them home whole, not gutted. We have shot them on the runway, and taxied right up to them, bring them home whole and gut and process them at home in the garage.

We have landed next to them on frozen lake, camped the night under the plane wing, shot Goats from the tent, still in the sleeping bag. Break camp, taxied over to them, load them up whole, and have them home, hung, gutted, skinned, and hanging in the meat house to cool, grab a beer and catch the kick-off of the Noon football game.

We have harvested many dozens of Alaska Mt. Goats, and never walked up or down hill. One time we drove a Brand New 1973 Lincoln Continual right up to about 45 Alaska Mt. Goats, got out of the car, walked off of the road and shot four Goats at about 50 to 75 yards, there was snow, so we dragged them to the Lincoln and put three in the trunk and one in the back seat on the floor. I have them here in my backyard a several times a year, just small groups, of twelve to twenty.

Properly processed (Easy when hung in the garage or airplane hanger) Mountain Goat is the finest game meat.....period. But you sure hear horror stories of disgusting uneatable goat meat that was poorly processed.

OP
100percent

Thanks for all the replies! I am still in good shape but, certainly not the energizer bunny these days!

I made up my mind, I want to go with SOURDOUGH!!! If he still has that Continental!!! Leather or plush velvet???:unsure:

bdud14

FNG
curious...
Kodiak is the right way to go. As I understand it you can get 2 tags as well.

Comerade

FNG
Just improve your leg strength and your wind. I have been in on successful goat hunts with 70 year olds.
Mountain goats were always a part of a combo hunt with our local outfitter's. I worked for several of them in the past.
I am 61 and hunt mountain goats every year - even these days. Good Luck