Mountain Goat ID Quiz

JPhelps

Lil-Rokslider
I got them all right except the young billy in #4 (which to me is the same as a right answer). Now I just need to draw a tag.

JDC

FNG
Good test. I missed the four nannies with the kids. Should have thought about the kids and just gone with nannies.. Thanks Yukondog..

slim9300

WKR
That was perfect. I have always wondered how difficult it would be to tell the difference in a mature animal of either sex. It seems pretty easy now. I would say that a quality spotting scope is pretty crucial. ;)

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had a nanny only tag in Utah a while back - a little practice in the field and you get it nailed down pretty quick! Lot easier to tell on a live goat than a sketch or photo.
attachment.php
[/IMG]

Scouted hard and took the oldest, longest horned gal on the mountain. 10 1/8"

shanevg

WKR
Nice got Darin! Did you ever score her? I've always wondered what a good 10" nanny would score. I kno of a couple here in WA that I think are pushing 12".

slim9300

WKR
Nice got Darin! Did you ever score her? I've always wondered what a good 10" nanny would score. I kno of a couple here in WA that I think are pushing 12".

Me too. I wish I was a B&C member and I could look at the roughly 100 book nannies and what their horn length was.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff. I did much better on the Alaska test that the Colorado test. I can see how an inexperienced hunter could miss identify the sex of a goat.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
45 2/8" as I recall. I helped my buddy tag one even bigger 2 years after on the same hunt - a 10 5/8" Nanny that went 46 & 3/8 as I recall... We called her the Bananny! I will dig up a photo for reference.

slim9300

WKR
45 2/8" as I recall. I helped my buddy tag one even bigger 2 years after on the same hunt - a 10 5/8" Nanny that went 46 & 3/8 as I recall... We called her the Bananny! I will dig up a photo for reference.

Just wait until Shane posts the two nannies from his local unit. They are BEASTS and I'm sure are at least 11.5-12" if you can believe that. I have no doubt they would both make B&C.

Keep in mind that you can put in for this unit for 30 years and still have basically a 10% chance of drawing. ;)

shanevg

WKR
Just wait until Shane posts the two nannies from his local unit. They are BEASTS and I'm sure are at least 11.5-12" if you can believe that. I have no doubt they would both make B&C.

Keep in mind that you can put in for this unit for 30 years and still have basically a 10% chance of drawing. ;)

Haha! 10% chance after 30 years? Fat chance. Last year max point holders ahead a 0.376% chance of drawing. If the same number of new applicants apply every year, the odds if drawing the tag would actually go down every year. Washington's draw system sucks!

slim9300

WKR
Haha! 10% chance after 30 years? Fat chance. Last year max point holders ahead a 0.376% chance of drawing. If the same number of new applicants apply every year, the odds if drawing the tag would actually go down every year. Washington's draw system sucks!

Max points is only 16 though this year right? Keep in mind that a lot of max points holders will eventually stop hunting.

I know. They need to allocate 50% of the special permit tags to those with max points. The problem is that there are so few tags. It won't fix the moose, sheep and goat draws, but it might fix the elk and deer.