Mountain Goat Meat

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Last weekend I got to go on a mountain goat hunt here in Montana and were able to get one down. We'd both never had mountain goat before. I was just wondering how you guys like to eat them. I'm planning on doing some summer sausage but not quite sure what else. Input appreciated. Thanks

Stid2677

WKR
Love the flavor of Goat, but most tend to be a bit chewy. We have found that course ground burger has been the best use for our Goat meat. Makes outstanding burgers. A couple have been tender enough for steaks but you can almost tell when handling the meat.

They are pretty tough grilling steaks IME, so I've done mostly roasts and burger. Burger has turned out very well for me, and the roasts done in a slow cooker are my favorite, as they typically end up more moist and with better texture than roasts from the deer family. It's not bad stew meat either.

I personally wouldn't waste any of it on summer sausage, but YMMV.

OP
MTguy0341

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys thanks for the advice. I kept backstraps tenderloins and a few other cuts and left them at roast size. So i'll try that as roasts. The rest I ground up as burger and ground up some beef suet too. So I'll try burgers too. Appreciate the input

Stid2677

WKR
One thing I forgot, I use a Sous Vide machine to cook meats. I was able to get goat steaks fork tender using it, any meat for that matter. Sous Vide is just a fancy water heater, the food is vacuum sealed and cooked in this heated water for a set time and temp. Awesome way to cook lots of foods.

Mt. Goat is our families absolute favorite meat, bar none! Steaks for the straps and loins, roasts for everything that you can get a roast out of, then burger for everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP100

WKR
Of the North American animals ive eaten Goat is possibly the best, ive steaked the straps from a few and found them surprisingly tender, we did lots of roasts at our hunting camp and they were beautiful. To me just like a mutton in a lot of ways. Earlier season they have lots of good fat on em.

Id just roast away! A whole rear leg roast is a BIG meal haha

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
We did a whole rear leg roast from my dad's 2013 billy for Christmas dinner. Marinated it with lemon, garlic and basil for two days, seared on the grill and then roasted it at 200F until 130F internal temp was reached. It was fantastic!

Decker9

WKR
Goat flavour is tough to beat. I generally pressure cook any goat I get, you’ll never eat a stew, as good as goat stew, nomnomnom.

BRWNBR

WKR
Canned goat I had was great. Anything ground was great. Anything steaked was a waste of time. I’m glad some guys are having success with that though. I never have.

OP
MTguy0341

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Been eating on that goat and really liked it so far. When we were breaking it down, it almost had no smell to the meat. Which was crazy to me. I ended up making a summer sausage, few snack sticks, burger and roasts. All of it has been pretty top notch.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I had a camp cook once tell me the best way to cook mt goat is to put a bunch of rocks in the bottom of a crock pot, then the goat meat on top. Cook for at least 12 hours at 325 degrees. When it's done, you throw the meat out and eat the rocks. :D

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The camp cook must not have been very skilled...

I’ve heard all those horror stories so decided for the first meal off my September Goat was to make a pot roast in the crock pot. Excellent.

e8a9154feaf1fbdb58eda84ae1618081.jpg

217ab9b547310eaf304490e662ed1b50.jpg

bairdi

FNG
All the goat meat I've had has had excellent flavor. Steaks and roasts were a little tougher/chewier but still excellent. The loins and straps were cooked like any other game meat. I do most of the roasts whole in a small stove top pressure cooker and now that I've gotten some practice, they come out tender and great everytime. Stew in the pressure cooking also amazing with goat or any game for that matter. And like what was suggested above, Goat burgers are excellent as well.