Mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park

Thought a few of you might want to jump on this. Post from WDFW.

WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

[email protected]

Olympic National Park is recruiting skilled volunteers to assist with the lethal removal of non-native mountain goats from the park. Selected volunteers will be required to travel on foot up to 15 miles a day through park wilderness, much of which will be off trail in predominantly steep and extremely challenging terrain.

• This program will occur from Sept. 9 - Oct. 17, 2020.
  • In order to participate, volunteers must apply in groups of 3-6 people, and participate in one of three scheduled removal sessions.
Participants must:

• attend one day of training at the beginning of each designated removal session
  • pass a background check
  • meet requirements for physical fitness, orienteering, and experience recreating in extensive mountainous wilderness.
Groups may consist of field support personnel and expert marksmen; only those who pass a firearms proficiency test (which will be administered during each training) will be permitted to shoot goats in the park. Each group must have at least one person that passes the firearms proficiency test.

Volunteers must supply all their own required equipment and supplies, including suitable firearms and non-toxic ammunition.

Applications will be accepted until at least April 17. After that date, it will close as soon as 30 qualified groups apply, or on April 24 (whichever comes first).

For the past three years the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has been a partner with Olympic National Park and many other organizations in this effort to return the ecosystem to a natural state. Thank you for considering participation in this important effort to remove nonnative mountain goats from the Olympic National Park.

Please visit nps.gov/olym/getinvolved/mountain-goat-management-removal.htm for more information.

colersu22

WKR
Me and my hunting partner are talking about applying, only bad part is it takes out time in Wa and ID for elk for us. Wish we could pick the dates but doubtful.

Thought a few of you might want to jump on this. Post from WDFW.

WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

[email protected]

Olympic National Park is recruiting skilled volunteers to assist with the lethal removal of non-native mountain goats from the park. Selected volunteers will be required to travel on foot up to 15 miles a day through park wilderness, much of which will be off trail in predominantly steep and extremely challenging terrain.

• This program will occur from Sept. 9 - Oct. 17, 2020.
  • In order to participate, volunteers must apply in groups of 3-6 people, and participate in one of three scheduled removal sessions.
Participants must:

• attend one day of training at the beginning of each designated removal session
  • pass a background check
  • meet requirements for physical fitness, orienteering, and experience recreating in extensive mountainous wilderness.
Groups may consist of field support personnel and expert marksmen; only those who pass a firearms proficiency test (which will be administered during each training) will be permitted to shoot goats in the park. Each group must have at least one person that passes the firearms proficiency test.

Volunteers must supply all their own required equipment and supplies, including suitable firearms and non-toxic ammunition.

Applications will be accepted until at least April 17. After that date, it will close as soon as 30 qualified groups apply, or on April 24 (whichever comes first).

For the past three years the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife has been a partner with Olympic National Park and many other organizations in this effort to return the ecosystem to a natural state. Thank you for considering participation in this important effort to remove nonnative mountain goats from the Olympic National Park.

Please visit nps.gov/olym/getinvolved/mountain-goat-management-removal.htm for more information.
Interesting for sure! I think more NP should utilize volunteers or even sale tags when trying to remove invasive sp.

OP
menhaden_man
I may regret this post, but my neighbor is hot and heavy for this hunt and looking for a group. He’s a vet and very capable; grew up on the peninsula and specifically that area. He called me to ask if I wanted in, but my dance card is full for the summer and fall. He’s looking to build a team of 3-6 guys to put in with good odds of going.

Send me a PM if you might be a good fit and I’ll connect you all. We live along the Columbia River in eastern Washington, but he’s from the peninsula and has mountaineering skills there. A little younger than me (late 30s) and a family guy.

OP
menhaden_man
Has this thread seriously almost made it to page two without a complaint about the requirement to use nontoxic ammo?

That’s the reason I’m not going. Keep that shit in California 😂

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
Good to see some stuff like this vs hiring shooters.

Lots of capable people who would love the chance.

Curious what their proficiency test is like...

Vek

FNG
Proficiency is 5 of 8 shots into an 8" ring at 200 yards, sounds like on the field rest of your choice. I'm sure someone here will complain about that, too.

OP
menhaden_man
Proficiency is 5 of 8 shots into an 8" ring at 200 yards, sounds like on the field rest of your choice. I'm sure someone here will complain about that, too.

No way, all these $5k custom guns, dope charts, First Lite wardrobes, Swaro spotting scopes, and dialing prowess on here... that'll be a cakewalk for the average Rokslider, no? :ROFLMAO: