Mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park

The way I understand some apps were eliminated initially if they were incomplete or downright unqualified but then it was just lottery luck to make it to the 40 groups that were actually picked based on their applications.. So to me it came down to luck to getting picked not so much how good a team you put together at all and then I think hunting experience appealed to them a lot less than other things.. Good luck to those that got picked and remember how well you make this happen will help the park systems to decide hunters can be a useful tool in management so play by their rules..

270quest

WKR
My team did not get selected - thought we may have had a slim chance as we had 2 hunting guides, one who is currently active military sniper, and the other who has passed and certified backcountry medical response.

slick

WKR
For those of you selected...are you bringing an ice axe & semi-auto crampons?

Edit to add: Twin or double ropes too?

Last edited:

hikenhunt

WKR
For those of you selected...are you bringing an ice axe & semi-auto crampons?

Edit to add: Twin or double ropes too?

Didn't get selected, but I think that will depend on the unit(s) they got assigned to. Some are much more accessible than others.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
From what I understand from some locals here that were part of teams, there were not many teams that saw goats, let alone killed any. Weather & Feds trying time organize a hunt made for tough or no hunting in the small windows of opportunity. Both things were my 2 biggest concerns involved with this opportunity. Glad I didn’t get chosen to get involved in that disappointment.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess that being the case, glad we weren't chosen either. Would have been a large chunk of vacation committed, possibly for naught.

As it turned out I was able to get a permit for the Wonderland Trail (Rainier) and spent my time there instead :D

HA8l3kv.jpg

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I guess that being the case, glad we weren't chosen either. Would have been a large chunk of vacation committed, possibly for naught.

As it turned out I was able to get a permit for the Wonderland Trail (Rainier) and spent my time there instead :D

HA8l3kv.jpg
I have to get up there one of these days before I’m too old. Does that trail take off from paradise?

HA8l3kv.jpg

I did the timberline trail (My Hood) 15 years back and it was amazing, I'd love to get the wonderland as well.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to get up there one of these days before I’m too old. Does that trail take off from paradise?

You can take off from numerous points- it basically circumnavigates Rainier entirely; we took it from White River (and finished at the same), but you can start/finish at numerous spots. Roughly 100 miles, but it's the climbing and descending that makes it really challenging- roughly 26,000' of ascent (and descent). You also have the option of taking the Spray Park alternative route- some additional climbing, but we thought it was worth it.

We did it in 4 days (4 long days :)), after that I'd recommend taking a little longer :D

We're going to go back with the wives (if we can get a permit) and shorten it a bunch, but still get into some of that gorgeous alpine country.

Here's the official press release from the ONP regarding the success of the lethal mountain goat removal:

31 goats killed by 20 teams. Sounds like no major PR issues, so hopefully this keeps the door open for the NPS to consider recruiting hunters as volunteers for future lethal removal operations. Well done to the forum members here who were selected and participated.