Mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park

slvrslngr

WKR
I suspect there will be a few shooters who fail the shooting test. I also suspect this will be a one time deal. It says right in the literature that after the cull the NPS will be sending shooters in helos to kill whatever is left. Basically, the NPS is throwing a bone to us hunters to make the eradication a little more palatable.

I'm lucky enough to know a pretty impressive cast of hunters and not one of them have ever told me how they recovered an animal with climbing gear. Yes it would be fantastic to have a Sherpa with climbing gear and knowledge but like others before have stated I really don't think there's a lot of those types of people who will volunteer to do this job.. I admit, at this point I am slightly more interested in hearing about who they selected and how it went than the actual project.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
What did Callahan have to say about it?

I was surprised. He spent most of his time, which wasn't much, showing concern for folks applying and understanding the unique skills and traits that might be needed perhaps. So similar to a lot of ideas in the thread.

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm lucky enough to know a pretty impressive cast of hunters and not one of them have ever told me how they recovered an animal with climbing gear. Yes it would be fantastic to have a Sherpa with climbing gear and knowledge but like others before have stated I really don't think there's a lot of those types of people who will volunteer to do this job.. I admit, at this point I am slightly more interested in hearing about who they selected and how it went than the actual project.

I've seen it done in NM for Ibex. Not sure I agree with it but happens occasionally on that hunt.

This area sounds like a larger/colder version of that hunt.

It's pretty easy to find with Google. He just states the obvious, there's a lot more on the line here than most realize, he's hoping those selected take it serious and represent the hunting community in a positive manor.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be applying with a small group of very close friends. Three of us were the last group I'm aware of to shoot a goat in that area. I have a feeling there will be a lot of very qualified groups and the competition for a spot will be tough.

Yes, it will be interesting to see who is selected and I too think it will be tough to make the cut. We are going for the "senior citizen" classification.:)

Randy

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
Dude, I looked. Thats why I asked. Thanks for the synopsis.

The Podcast is called "Cal's Week in Review" in the podcast app for iphone. Appears it is also available by that name direct from the meateater website.com. Here's a direct link to the browser based podcast.

appreciate it!
The Podcast is called "Cal's Week in Review" in the podcast app for iphone. Appears it is also available by that name direct from the meateater website.com. Here's a direct link to the browser based podcast.

Thank you!

looks like a great approach to remove the invasives, but not sure about the too stringent requirements.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Put in last night with my son and work buddy. We'll see how it goes. Got our fingers crossed. I did a Dall Sheep hunt in Alaska 24 years ago. The terrain looks very similar here. The sheep hunt wasn't much fun honestly - but an adventure for sure. Guess I'm a bit of an adventure junky.

Rawhide67

FNG
This in my backyard. Be prepared for some of the steepest, brushiest, wettest, slipperiest and nastiest conditions imaginable. The fall weather can be unpredicable. Just accesssing some of these areas will be 90% of the battle. If you want an adventure and want to test yourself this is the hunt for you. I have a group of buddies who applied but Im sitting this one out.

COOPDUCK

FNG
Could be fun, but I’m sure WDFW will find a way to F it up. Count me out, I’m doing as much as I can to recreate and spend my hunting dollars and time outside WA.

I live on the OP & have been all over the Olympics. A couple things I’d like to point out for anyone thinking of applying for a nice easy stroll on park trails to plug countless pee licking goats that don’t move off the trail. Those goats have all been captured & relocated. The remaining populations are in some of the nastiest ground in the Olympics that have no trails. It’s gonna be steep,brushy & cliffy trying to get into the areas they reside. Retrieval will be tricky if not impossible at times. Oh & then there is the X factor here on the peninsula we call weather. Not only will it be miserable but it will make hunting nearly impossible in that country due to no visibility.

So there ya go, if that all sounds like your cup of tea, good luck in the application process & enjoy the Olympics. They are some of the most spectacular mountains I’ve been in.👍🏻
Sounds like a blast!