Mountain goat removal in Olympic National Park

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely like this approach better than the one applied in the Grand Tetons. But why couldn’t the state sell goat tags to hunters and make a little 💰?

OP
menhaden_man
I definitely like this approach better than the one applied in the Grand Tetons. But why couldn’t the state sell goat tags to hunters and make a little 💰?

This ain’t a hunt, plus they’d lose some important control over who attends. This one is like an application which ain’t bad in my opinion. Only way you could pull it off is having the top notch folks in the mix.

This ain’t a hunt, plus they’d lose some important control over who attends. This one is like an application which ain’t bad in my opinion. Only way you could pull it off is having the top notch folks in the mix.
Exactly.

As soon as they start selling something, they gain a crap ton of work, lose a lot of control all to make less than they spend doing the draw. This is the right approach.

When you participate in a culling like this, are you required to actually harvest anything from the animal? Can you take the meat, horns, cape, etc? Or do you shoot them and leave them where they lie? I’ve never participated in one of these and was curious on how the animals are handled once killed.

S.Clancy

WKR
When you participate in a culling like this, are you required to actually harvest anything from the animal? Can you take the meat, horns, cape, etc? Or do you shoot them and leave them where they lie? I’ve never participated in one of these and was curious on how the animals are handled once killed.
No.

eamyrick

WKR
Application submitted. I’m considering it a 10 day hike. I think a lot of folks will stay away because you are basically committing to 12 days if you have to travel. There is a one day mandatory orientation and 10 days to find goats. Some of the places are a 1-2 day hike in. I have a solid 3 man group but can’t see it being easy for most folks to find that many people with the vacation time, willingness, and fitness level to go shoot some not trophy quality animals.

While they will allow you to retain meat and “other materials” the object is to shoot every goat you see. Doesn’t matter if you can recover them or not, doesn’t matter if your pack is already full.

For the right guys I’m sure it’s a cool opportunity, but I’m not personally interested in it.

Of the people applying I wonder how many have been on Goat hunts or hunts in this terrain. I think alot of applicants have no idea what this will entail. It's fairly easy to say "shoot em and let lay" but you will need to recover from some for biological purposes.

Yeah, I live in the shadow of these mountains, and the country is no joke. Some call it the most rugged in the state - and the weather can be miserable that time of year.

That being said...this is an extraordinary opportunity for the right kind of person. If I didn't have the family obligations I currently have, I'd be jumping on it.

My dad and brother assisted with the goat relocation efforts in the Olympics last year. They had one tranquilized billy weigh in at 340 on the hoof in the examination tent. Unbelievable how big some of the goats are in there.

this isnt a hunt by any means...basically your an exterminator. doing the states dirty work..... i wouild ask yourself if you agree on why there doing this befor applying. do you know the historical information on how and why these goats are in this range and do you agree upon reason to remove them...certain most could care less of the species and are choosing to seize oppertunity to squeeze the trigger.... being involved in this is just becoming a pawn in wdfw's bullchit.....

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
Thought long on this....no go for me

Just doesn't add up and I dont like it

People will say this was done in the name of conservation but I'm not really sure anymore

I have a group of four that i am applying with, all will be shooting. Is it an eradication hunt yes, but its also a chance to hunt a species that is normally a once in a lifetime in our state. We all plan on coming out with meat and horns. I believe in science based wildlife management and if they need help doing it we are in!

bhylton

WKR
they want you too shoot every goat your see.... but who would know? who is to say a group of three guys dont go in there and have a legit hunt and shoot only as much as they can carry out?

Wrench

WKR
We have a team also. My pard has done invasive work for NPS there, I've been a depredation gunner on this side. 3rd guys is just genuinely badass.

Hopefully we can help because out of state hunts in September are pretty suspicious still.

We're not leaving anything we can get to.