Mountain Hunting Regrets

Dust1n

FNG
What has everyone regret after a few days in the mountains?

Warmer Puff Jacket
Upgraded Hiking Boots
Extra Coffee for Rain Days
Etc, Etc

Lets hear your regrets so others can learn from your mistakes!

akbrett

FNG
last year i forgot to bring a warmer set of gloves/down mitts. only had thin mechanics gloves hands got cold a few diff times when we were sitting idle

another trip i should have taken my boots and pants off to cross a stream... but i thought i could make it and was lazy. hiking in wet boots sucks.

Billinsd

WKR
Trying to sleep in sweatpants and an emergency blanket on a steep slope!!!! This was 25 years ago

What has everyone regret after a few days in the mountains?

Warmer Puff Jacket
Upgraded Hiking Boots
Extra Coffee for Rain Days
Etc, Etc

Lets hear your regrets so others can learn from your mistakes!
Regretted going last year with a foot injury. Should of stayed out of back country and hunted where it was easier. I love the back country, but I need a break last year. I definitely dieing to find out how well the foot does after surgery.

Moserkr

WKR
Having nothing to alleviate ass rash.
Bordeauxs butt paste - the HD version - has worked wonders for my young kid. I wish they made a small tube version for backpackers. Ive never had an issue and eat mtn house no problem, but i see where it could be a godsend for others.

ColeyG

WKR
I seem to always find myself wishing I had more days to hunt and/or running out of time. If I plan 8 days, 10 would have been better to get the job done. If I plan for 10, 12 would have certainly guaranteed success...

The "shortcut" mistake is a good one and a very tough lesson that it sounds like many here have learned the hard way. Almost always better to stick with the "known" rather than gamble on the unknown in technical or very difficult terrain.

I don't have images of some of my more memorable moments in the mountains because I cut out a camera to save weight. I regret that as well.

Moserkr

WKR
This lol. I am with you on that one. Packed that damn deer 2X as far because of it.

Ron
I never had the issue packing out an animal and Ive learned since my many “shortcut” mistakes. But what came to my mind was a scouting trip to check cams. Had my hunting buddy’s german shepard along, and he left his dog’s boots in the truck. First mistake, its a city dog not used to rough granite. Second mistake, we thought we could shave off a few miles on the way out by taking the short side across the mountain face instead of climbing up the other side to the pass we came in on. Ended up dropping down further than we needed to due to being cliffed out. Dogs pads got wrecked and he hid under a boulder, probably thinking it was the end. Had to drag him out and start carrying him down a steep mountain. Then we ran out of water with no filters. Came across a weird camp near the river we finally got to at the bottom, a scene right out of a scary movie. Four tents set up and open, packs left in camp, shoes n socks outside the tents, water bladders hanging and filtering water, belts, clothes, everything in the camp - but not one person. We yelled a bit and no one came. Presuming they were on mushrooms, skinny dipping, or both lol. So we left, didnt touch their water, and found a spring nearby where we finally drank and filled up. Dog had water at the river. Got out of there and hiked two more miles to the truck, carrying the dog half the time. A half day scout turned into a full day of hell. Never again...