Mountain Lion Attack Stopped by my Daughter in CO...real close call!

OP
westdreamer
You guys are awesome! Thank you for all of the generous comments.

Another cool thing, during the excitement after the lion encounter, she forgot to stop by the truck and grab her backpack before coming down the steep canyon wall to find me at my half quartered elk and tell me about the encounter. She was supposed to bring her pack to help carry a quarter out during mid-day. So what does she do....she ties 2 knots in the top of the game bag with a quarter and trimmings in it, throws the bag over her shoulder like Santa, and climbs the canyon wall with me. She finished the climb out with me an hour later with the game bag draped over the back of her neck and draped in front of her shoulders and says, "actually that wasn't too bad"!!! I was pretty impressed!

OP
westdreamer
Awesome job dad and daughter! I'm curious if CPW tracked down the cat? If she had ever seen a cat in person before?
CPW did track down the cat. They said that it was healthy (before the shot), fit, strong, not starving, not sick and not protecting a kill. No real underlying reason for the aggressive behavior. She had not ever seen a mountain lion in person before, except maybe in a zoo when she was younger. She did make a video of a bobcat walking around in front of her during a hunt a few days earlier.

Very impressed with her composure under fire and having the presence of mind to act accordingly.
I don't think I would have done so well.
I'm going to show this to my 2 kids for educational purposes. What to do in a similar situation.
Hats off!!

street

WKR
I can't help but think a lot of her reactions to the situation are hard-wired into her genes to some degree. Glad yall are safe!

fwafwow

WKR
Awesome work in her, and your part! I know she said at the end that the lion was killed, so my curiosity has me wondering - did CPW tell her where she hit it, and did they send her any pictures?

prm

WKR
Nice job!
I can‘t think of a single thing I could have done better, and she did it alone and under pressure. Give her a high five for me! Great lesson for all of us!

OP
westdreamer
Awesome work in her, and your part! I know she said at the end that the lion was killed, so my curiosity has me wondering - did CPW tell her where she hit it, and did they send her any pictures?
Thank you. Yes they did. It was facing her almost straight on, only slightly quartering to her right. She hit it in and out of the left shoulder. She had a hard time seeing anything but fur in the scope and I know she could not have been too steady shooting off hand under the conditions. They sent a couple pics but they weren't that great.

Scottyboy

WKR
Holy shit! Any chance the game agency will turn over the hide/head after the investigation or do they keep it? Not that it matters of course, just curious how they handle that stuff

OP
westdreamer
Holy shit! Any chance the game agency will turn over the hide/head after the investigation or do they keep it? Not that it matters of course, just curious how they handle that stuff
They said they couldn't let us keep it, that it was state property. I'm sure they don't want to encourage people to shoot the lions be letting people keep them either.

Scottyboy

WKR
They said they couldn't let us keep it, that it was state property. I'm sure they don't want to encourage people to shoot the lions be letting people keep them either.
Makes sense, didnt think of it that way.

still in awe of how your daughter kept her composure!

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Your daughter sure did handle herself well....we should all hope to keep our composure and decision making spot on during such an ordeal. Impressive. I hunt in the general area in central Colorado where she had her encounter and have seen lions or their sign in the past.....I'll take her experience as a lesson to remind myself to maintain awareness of what's around me in the woods. Thanks for sharing!

I just cant believe how well she handled that. Definitely one bad ass girl like many have said. Explained it perfectly also. I wouldnt have had nearly that much patience. And to video it on top of that. Almost hard to believe any girl, or guy, could handle it that good.