Mountain Lion Attack Stopped by my Daughter in CO...real close call!

My daughter and I were hunting in CO 2 weeks ago for second rifle season. While I was down in a canyon quartering my elk, she was up on top, deer hunting the last day of season. While moving through some thick timber between two areas of interest, she came up on a lion in a small opening (16 yards) that was not afraid of people or backing down. She did all the right things trying to scare it off, but it came at her, closing the distance to 8 yards and preparing to pounce when she finally was forced to defend herself. Amazingly, she caught most of the encounter on video and audio.

The Game and Fish officials said that there has been more aggressive mountain lion encounters lately. Aggressive encounters are rare, but if anyone is hunting in lion or bear country, be aware of the precautions you can take and the right responses for the different animals, and be sure to educate your kids about the topic. I'm sure glad I did. This encounter could have ended much worse.
(For licensing or usage, contact [email protected])

Last edited:
Good job. We havent been able to hunt them here in California since the Ultra Liberal city folks outlawed it. Now they're destroying our Deer and Elk herds.

Spike elk

WKR
Intense video! Just watched it with my wife and daughters. That is a heck of a young lady that you raised. She handled herself well. You should be proud of her. You will probably have a line of young gentlemen clad in camo at your door looking to meet your daughter after this video gets out. A good reminder that it is always a good idea to have a firearm in your possession when enjoying the great outdoors. I don't think that I would have been as patient as she was. She really tried hard not to kill it.

bsnedeker

WKR
Love that she threw her phone away when the time came! In the heat of the moment many people will not have the presence of mind to drop whatever is in their hand when they need to shoot in a self defense situation, compromising their ability to get rounds on target. You raised a good one sir!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Man, you raised a quick-thinking and level headed young lady...and a confident outdoors person. Well done by her...and by you!

Agross

WKR
She couldn't have handled that better. What a badass. Extremely intelligent and also well spoken. You gotta be more than proud. Good on you, and her.

Elk97

WKR
I hope this goes viral. What an impressive young woman, and her Dad deserves a lot of credit too! So glad it turned out well.