Mountain Lion/Cougar Track?

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Can anybody help me decide if this is a mountain lion?

It's a bit small, and I don't know about the "heel" looking thing behind the paw pad. I don't see a heel in any tracking references I have. No claws, so I don't think its wolf.

IMG_3328.JPG

download.png

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I have lots of big cats on my property and have experience with their tracks. This to me looks like young mountain lion tracks.

Look at the leg spacing and clearly defined rounded toe marks. Bobcat tracks are closer together with slightly more elongated toe marks when compared to lions.

OP
zog

zog

Lil-Rokslider
I'd guess small lion or big bobber. Spacing leads me to believe lion though. What size are the boot tracks in the snow?
I measured my boots at 5-1/4 inches wide. I used "paint" to draw a line across my boot then select/copy/paste the track in front of the boot. I get about 4-1/2" to 4-3/4" for the track this way. Mind you I'm not 100% sure this is the same cat as my first photo but there was only one set of tracks.

Next time there'll be a tape measure in my pocket!

IMG_3330 1.jpg

Last edited:

mcr-85

WKR
I measured my boots at 5-1/4 inches wide. I used "paint" to draw a line across my boot then select/copy/paste the track in front of the boot. I get about 4-1/2" to 4-3/4" for the track this way. Mind you I'm not 100% sure this is the same track as my first photo but there was only one set of tracks.

Next time there'll be a tape measure in my pocket!

View attachment 233517
Then I'd say lion.

Here is a lion track I found last week.
20201113_165203.jpg
Here is a set of bobcat tracks from a couple years ago while trapping them.
20150207_093624.jpg

OP
zog

zog

Lil-Rokslider
Using my same 5" boot width and copy/paste on "paint", got a 52" stride on the right and a 45" stride on the left . . .

IMG_3330 2.jpg

Last edited:

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
A small lion. Like the poster above bobcat tracks aren’t nearly that big, maybe quarter/half dollar size and more elongated toes

I was going to say a big bobcat track you can lay a dip can in but ya seems like the stride is way too long. Slower an animal is traveling the less in line the tracks will be. Straight line tracks should be a steady trot.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk