Mountain rifle recommendations?

Floorpoor

FNG
I've been doing most of my big game hunting with an ugly old Ruger All Weather 7mm rem mag (Canoe paddle stock) for the last two decades. It's always shot most loads at 1-1.5 moa, with it's favorite being a 139 gr Hornady Interlock over a close to max charge of 4831. I've killed a stack of mule deer, a few elk, and even a moose with it. The ranges of my kills have been from 310 yards, all the way down to 10 yards (Idaho bull moose, I loaded 175gr interlocks for that hunt) with this rifle. It's been good to me, but lately I've been wanting something handy and lightweight. My hunting is mostly looong hikes, with lots of elevation gain, lots of glassing, followed by a long stalk, ending with a shot usually well below 300 yards , if I can find the game and everything works out. I've decided on 7mm08 for the cartridge. It seems to be a very well balanced cartridge for the moderate ranges I'm willing to shoot live animals at, and I'm partial to the 7mm bore diameter. I don't need the magnum weight, recoil and blast for most of my hunting shots.

I've considered several rifles.
Tikka T3x compact ( a bargain, but mostly plastic, and I don't like that only one action length is available, and the cheap ass plastic magazines cost $45)
Kimber Montana (sexy, but expensive, with mixed reviews on accuracy. The synthetic stock isn't plastic, and the examples I've handled and shot feel quality. I like Mauser style actions)
Win model 70 featherweight compact (heavier, but a classic, made of wood and metal. I'm partial to the Mauser type action, and
I'm tired of plastic guns. I expect to have to mess with the bedding to get this one to shoot)
The now discontinued Howa Alpine MTN rifle (I like this rifle, but it may be difficult to find one)
The Steyr Scout (I've been a fan of the concept since the mid 90's, and it's available in 7-08, but it's expensive and ugly as hell)

The less I spend on the rifle, the more I can spend on a scope, dies, and components to find the perfect load.

If anyone has any suggestions on rifles I should look at, please let me know. I would like the rifle+scope to be as close to $1500 as possible, and I want a rifle that will shoot as close to 1 moa as possible. Also any suggestions for scopes are also welcome.

Thank you for reading.

I currently have two 7mm-08's, one a stainless Tikka that weighs 6 lbs. 13 oz. scoped. The other, a Howa Alpine that weighs 6 lbs. 11 oz. scoped. I have no reservations recommending either. They both shoot sub-MOA out to at least 300 yards (the length of my home range), routinely.

I figured the stainless Tikka would be my "lifetime" hunting rifle purchase. It's handled everything I've run through it, from 120 Sierras to 168 Bergers, with the same effectiveness. Sub-MOA is routine. It's topped with a new Weaver K6 for open country hunting with no distractions. I love that scope/rifle combo.

The Howa has become my dedicated deer rifle (whitetail and mule deer) now, and it shoots 120 TSX's extremely well. It's topped with a 3-9x40 Leupold because I use it in both close quarters brush and longer distance. That too is a great combination.

If I had to pick one, it would be the Tikka, only because it gives me a little more velocity with the longer barrel and it handles the heavier 140-162 class bullets better (for whatever reason). But I would say that I enjoy carrying the Howa more, and it's just as accurate with the 120-class bullets, which are all you need from a 7mm-08 for any deer.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My kimber has been excellent, I’m starting to think that most kimber haters have either never shot one, shot one once or just never bothered to become proficient with the gun.

I also like tikkas, the plastic stock dosent bother me at all, I’m sort of over the phase of throwing a 600 dollar stock on every gun that passes through my hands. The kimber stock works just fine it’s also nice that you don’t have to cry when you scrape it up.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got a Model 70 classic from the early 90s in 7mm/08 that will shoot the Hornady american whitetail loads into 3/4”. It’s topped with a VX-3i 3.5-10 and I love the combo. It’s only killed deer in the East from 10 to 125 yards, but it carry’s well and looks great too4D3DA9B9-7735-45C5-B10B-CFDF57534C2C.jpeg

tdot

WKR
My kimber has been excellent, I’m starting to think that most kimber haters have either never shot one, shot one once or just never bothered to become proficient with the gun.

I also like tikkas, the plastic stock dosent bother me at all, I’m sort of over the phase of throwing a 600 dollar stock on every gun that passes through my hands. The kimber stock works just fine it’s also nice that you don’t have to cry when you scrape it up.

100% agree with your comments re the Kimber. The few guys I know who sold their's cuz the gun wouldn't shoot, all routinely shot much heavier guns. I don't know if they made any adjustments to shoot a lighter rifle.

I've got a Win m70 extreme SS. Great, solid and light (well probably heavier end of light weight rifles).
It shoots better than I do and mine (308) is sub 6lbs unscoped. The 7mmx08 would be a touch heavier.
I would have bought a kimber if I had the money. This was the best compromise of weight, quality and price for me.
I think tikka would be a better option, i've got a lot of friends that love theirs but the feel didn't suit me.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I love my Remington Model Seven SS 7-08 with a 20” barrel. I shoots 120 grain TTSX and NBTs and 140 grain Partitions and Accubonds very accurately. I’ve never tried anything heavier, cause I’ve never had the need to. I’ll be taking it on my next elk hunt.
It has a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 scope on it resting in Talley lightweight rings.

It weighs 7lbs 2oz, scoped with a sling, buttstock ammo holder with 9 rounds in it.

prm

WKR
My 84M shoots some loads exceptionally well and is great for carrying in the mountains. 6lbs total including sling.

Didn’t see the Hells Canyon Speed mentioned. Don’t have one now but pretty sure there’ll be one in the stable before long. Grab a SWFA light weight scope and I’d wager you could be out the door for $1500.

Gutshotem

WKR
Here's a howa but it's a 308

manitou1

WKR
I'll post one up for the Browning X-Bolt. My two favorites are 6.5 lbs naked and very accurate. They carry well and shoot well.
I like my scoped, loaded rifles around 7.5-8 lbs due to being able to shoot accurately. Not heavy by my definition.

elkguide

WKR
One thing about a heavy rifle.... they are a lot easier to shoot than a light weight one. That said, I am carrying less weight than I used to as well. I am a fan of the 7mm08 also and have had several. The one that I use today is a Kimber Montana. Once you learn to shoot a light weight rifle, this one is well under 1MOA for 5 shots.

the only Kimber I have owned was a hunter in 7-08, it was a great little rifle, and shot really well... kinda miss it.

I have had 3 tikkas, gave my last one to my sis in law for a present, and it wasn't because I didn't like it, but because she was packing around a heavy Mauser for a few years.... I knew the tikka was a shooter, and nice to pack, so I passed it on to her when I got a sako.

I have no experience with the Montana, but I assume they are as good (better) than the Hunter, and that was a really nice little rifle.... Tikkas are just so consistent and proven, I have a hard time not recommending them.

I would go with the tikka, just due to my experience and their history of reputation.…. they are great rifles for the dough, and they all seem to shoot well.

don't think you can go wrong. I was leaning on a mountain ascent (got the new rifle itch again) but if the wait isn't too long early summer, i'm getting the new savage ultralite…. on paper, that rifle cannot be touched for the price, and I too have had great results from savage rifle accuracy.

lots of good, solid options these days.... it's actually crazy how nice of a rifle can be had for the money. there is a fairly long list of rifles sub 1500 dollars and lightweight I would be totally happy with. kind of hard to go wrong these days... a dang $350 ugly cheap rifle shoots MOA these days.... life is too short to buy one, but it says a lot about how good rifles are these days.

for the money, it's hard to go wrong with tikka, it's the whole package (good price, lightweight, nice balance, good trigger) but the same could be said on the Kimber hunter if you can stomach a plastic trigger guard, haha.... that seemed to be the only criticism people had for that rifle.... it was not an issue for me, and i'm not easy on stuff. if you break that trigger guard, you could just as easily break a nightforce scope, all about perspective I guess.

I think it will be hard for you to mess up this decision. if you go tikka, I don't see the need to get a compact. their standard rifles are plenty handy, and a short barrel doesn't have a lot of practical purpose unless you are adding a suppressor imo

I love my Remington Model Seven SS 7-08 with a 20” barrel. I shoots 120 grain TTSX and NBTs and 140 grain Partitions and Accubonds very accurately. I’ve never tried anything heavier, cause I’ve never had the need to. I’ll be taking it on my next elk hunt.
It has a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 scope on it resting in Talley lightweight rings.

It weighs 7lbs 2oz, scoped with a sling, buttstock ammo holder with 9 rounds in it.

I have the same rifle/scope setup. Have carried it no-telling how many miles in the Southern Appalachian mountains and have killed several truckloads of whitetails, including a few 200 lb. bucks, and also several hogs.

I also bought a Mcmillan Edge stock for my Tikka in 270 and that is one sweet setup. Also has a Leupold VX-3i on it and I’m into he whole setup for under $1600. I would also recommend that setup. I’ve only had it for two years but have taken several animals with it.

Here's a howa but it's a 308

Oh man, someone should jump on that. I love mine in 7mm-08. I can't understand why Howa discontinued their Alpine rifle. It's a great rifle.

Oh man, someone should jump on that. I love mine in 7mm-08. I can't understand why Howa discontinued their Alpine rifle. It's a great rifle.

Howa really didn’t discontinue the Alpine rifle, the stock manufacturer (Bansner/LAW) stopped making the stocks. Currently Mark has not yet got production going full speed on his stocks, and LAW is now only making actions. They were great rifles, but prices started to climb up there as stock supply began to dwindle. Howa then went to HSP to produce stocks, but those wound up substantially heavier than the Bansner stocked ones.

For a bit more, they could go to someone like AG Composites like other manufacturers are doing, who already produce killer mountain rifle stocks, though they may not have the capacity to manufacture stocks for another rifle maker.

Spoonbill

WKR
I've been doing most of my big game hunting with an ugly old Ruger All Weather 7mm rem mag (Canoe paddle stock) for the last two decades. It's always shot most loads at 1-1.5 moa, with it's favorite being a 139 gr Hornady Interlock over a close to max charge of 4831. I've killed a stack of mule deer, a few elk, and even a moose with it. The ranges of my kills have been from 310 yards, all the way down to 10 yards (Idaho bull moose, I loaded 175gr interlocks for that hunt) with this rifle. It's been good to me, but lately I've been wanting something handy and lightweight. My hunting is mostly looong hikes, with lots of elevation gain, lots of glassing, followed by a long stalk, ending with a shot usually well below 300 yards , if I can find the game and everything works out. I've decided on 7mm08 for the cartridge. It seems to be a very well balanced cartridge for the moderate ranges I'm willing to shoot live animals at, and I'm partial to the 7mm bore diameter. I don't need the magnum weight, recoil and blast for most of my hunting shots.

I've considered several rifles.
Tikka T3x compact ( a bargain, but mostly plastic, and I don't like that only one action length is available, and the cheap ass plastic magazines cost $45)
Kimber Montana (sexy, but expensive, with mixed reviews on accuracy. The synthetic stock isn't plastic, and the examples I've handled and shot feel quality. I like Mauser style actions)
Win model 70 featherweight compact (heavier, but a classic, made of wood and metal. I'm partial to the Mauser type action, and
I'm tired of plastic guns. I expect to have to mess with the bedding to get this one to shoot)
The now discontinued Howa Alpine MTN rifle (I like this rifle, but it may be difficult to find one)
The Steyr Scout (I've been a fan of the concept since the mid 90's, and it's available in 7-08, but it's expensive and ugly as hell)

The less I spend on the rifle, the more I can spend on a scope, dies, and components to find the perfect load.

If anyone has any suggestions on rifles I should look at, please let me know. I would like the rifle+scope to be as close to $1500 as possible, and I want a rifle that will shoot as close to 1 moa as possible. Also any suggestions for scopes are also welcome.

Thank you for reading.

You can look for a Tikka Hunter, it will have a wood stock and the couple I have handled are fairly light. Of course a model 70 is a classic, not sure how the new ones are but I had to replace the trigger in mine to get it under 5 pounds.