Mountain Rifles - Christensen, Tikka, Fierce etc...Thoughts, Suggestions, & Opinions

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The only con with Tikka and the cartridge you’ve decided on (300 win Mag) is the twist rate of their barrels for stabilizing the heavier grain bullets.

Other than that it’s a far superior platform as far as action/trigger reliability and barrel repeatability long term. The Tikka will last you a lifetime and will function properly for that lifetime and will remain incredibly accurate for that lifetime as well.

The Superlight model does come with the stainless fluted barrel for $749. That’s a fantastic rifle for the price point. I’ve built 3 semi custom Tikkas based on that rifle. New bottom metal, new trigger spring, new stock and your done. You have a $1,200 semi custom rifle that flat out performs. Oh and is pretty darn light all scoped up and full of ammo ready to hunt.

3E740B91-1403-4342-ADF0-41EDB65C70A2.jpeg
DFD87C52-C7AA-466E-9752-0185FDABE30B.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a tikka and a Kimber, I really like both. My Kimber has been great, it’s under 6lbs with a vx3i 2.5-8 with a B&C reticle. It’s a 308 and Although I’ve found several loads that work well in it, I’ve settled in my ha floats with the 166g hammer hunter, it fairly easy shoots under an inch and i fee good shooting it out to about 4-500 which is all I ever really try for. I think it’s an excellent mountain rifle, I’ve carried it all over and taken several good animals with it.

The tikka is good too, mine is a 6.5cm with mountain tactical bottom metal, I’ve shot some caribou with it, it’s very accurate but heavier than the Kimber, I don’t really use it as much since I have other rifles I like better, I have been thinking of using it for the base of a custom build from OMR but we will see. That being said, if I only had a tikka, I’d be ok with it.

OP
Tips n Tails
It will all come down to the price you want to pay and aesthetics...... tikkas are a very good choice if wanting to use some other cash on other purchases....they are not sexy nor do they photo well unless modified but they will get the job done, and not break the bank.My choice in 2003 was simply I wanted to go from a 9.5 pd rifle down 2 pds that shot well....my purchase has served me well coming on two decades 👍 it has been carried uphill a long ways and always done its part with zero issues. I like it because I’m not a tinkerer I go to the range each year verify still zeroed shoot a box, then shoot my 223 tikka for fun and ready to go each year....a few it has helped me on.

@Ross We may need to take a pause here on my rifle thread and chat about those incredible bulls!!

Talk about success! The third picture of the bull facing up hill in the snow looks familiar. Might’ve been floating around on FB a couple years ago maybe??? Also admire the red checkered shirt.

I’m also not a tinkerer either. A couple times a year is plenty for me nor am I a long range shooter. 300 - 400 yds is enough and most of my shots have been inside 150.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It will all come down to the price you want to pay and aesthetics...... tikkas are a very good choice if wanting to use some other cash on other purchases....they are not sexy nor do they photo well unless modified but they will get the job done, and not break the bank.My choice in 2003 was simply I wanted to go from a 9.5 pd rifle down 2 pds that shot well....my purchase has served me well coming on two decades 👍 it has been carried uphill a long ways and always done its part with zero issues. I like it because I’m not a tinkerer I go to the range each year verify still zeroed shoot a box, then shoot my 223 tikka for fun and ready to go each year....a few it has helped me on.

Holy carp!!!!

OP
Tips n Tails
The only con with Tikka and the cartridge you’ve decided on (300 win Mag) is the twist rate of their barrels for stabilizing the heavier grain bullets.

Other than that it’s a far superior platform as far as action/trigger reliability and barrel repeatability long term. The Tikka will last you a lifetime and will function properly for that lifetime and will remain incredibly accurate for that lifetime as well.

The Superlight model does come with the stainless fluted barrel for $749. That’s a fantastic rifle for the price point. I’ve built 3 semi custom Tikkas based on that rifle. New bottom metal, new trigger spring, new stock and your done. You have a $1,200 semi custom rifle that flat out performs. Oh and is pretty darn light all scoped up and full of ammo ready to hunt.

View attachment 238886
View attachment 238885
@mxgsfmdpx Great looking rifles there. I really like the color scheme of the top one. Do you prefer SS over a CF barrel?

And you’re correct for that price point that’s quite a bit of gun, considering some rifles go $3000+. I budgeted around $1500 +/- $250 scope included therefore, I’ll look around here and see if I can find a Tikka dealer.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bull noted in the snow along with bull 2 were shot the same season bull two Idaho tag 2 bull 3 Montana...there is a story on Rokslide of that season I won’t ruin the story as it was my best one on big bulls in otc diy hunts🤙 Wish I could go back in time as the body was so much better and it was awesome to dedicate 3 months to nothing but elk hunting👊 that red plaid was my lucky 30 yr shirt and I lost it the following year in Montana shed hunting May have to buy another👍

Last edited:
I’ve owned all three(Tikka, CA and Kimber) and here’s my take -

Kimbers can be great but their weight is a detriment to shooting any “bigger” distances. If you’re cool with keeping shots close, they’re light AF and a joy to carry. They do require some fiddling out of the box(google Kimber preflight) but once that’s taken care of they’re usually good shooters.

Tikkas are usually great shooters. As mentioned prior, they don’t win any beauty contests stock but they’re great utility rifles. Couple cons - action length is the same across all so you’re not really getting any weight savings, and for handloading heavier bullets the factory magazine starts to get cramped fast on the magnums. Also to note is the slower twist rates, if you’re really wanting to go heavy they’re not exactly twisted for it. The exception is the Creedmoor - they twisted it right. For a guy who runs run-of-the-mill loads it’s a damn nice rifle. Lots of aftermarket options these days too, so if you want to customize you can.

Finally, CA. I owned a Ridgeline in 280ai for awhile. The rifle would shoot great, but the craftsmanship was not worth what they wanted for it. There was some really sloppy machining. The guns usually come in over their stated weight(at least mine did) so if weights a concern it’s something to keep in mind. The stock, while it’s fine for a regular hunting rifle, leaves a lot to be desired ergonomics-wise. Customer service, from what I’ve read, is hit or miss. I wouldn’t spend the money on another one. Maybe with a discount it would be worth it.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For the price point, a Tikka T3x is very tough to beat for a lightweight mountain rifle! Christensen makes some very nice lightweight rifles as well. The Ridgeline is top notch for it's price point!

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Love my hell’s canyon speed in 300 wm. I know it’s not a fancy custom or semi custom, but it’s light and shoot well. I carry it over some more expensive semi customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rghunter2

FNG
Had the kimber. Super accurate but you had to let the barrel cool. I sold the gun but now wish I had it back. I did have to send it back to the factory a couple of times. They replaced the barrel and did some work on the bolt. If I let the barrel cool it was well under an inch gun.

z987k

WKR
The solution is to go find a fieldcraft. It's as light as the kimbers but shoots lights out. Incredibly well made

Sled

WKR
Tikka caliber of your choice. Non mags are lighter weight. Sports match rings direct to dovetail, scope type depends on use but for dialing tract makes a light weight option. Bipods are heavy and not needed for most hunting styles but are nice for prone or stabilizing on a small tree. I also prefer a stock pack to hold magazine or extra ammo plus a copy of dope chart and tax stamp. Both are duplicated on phone as well.

I should also mention (from your list) I have a kimber in the same caliber and fierce in 7mm mag. The kimber might be a good woods gun after some work. The bolt operation takes some getting used to and there's a whole host of other issues to overcome. The fierce shoots great but is heavier than advertised. I just keep coming back to tikka because they check all the boxes for what I need and most of what I want.

Attachments

• PXL_20201205_205234633.jpg
    PXL_20201205_205234633.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
OP
Tips n Tails
Alright gents!! It’s not lost on me once I post this message all of you will get the notification lol. First & foremost, I appreciate all the feedback.

After a couple days of reading and re-reading different articles and threads. I think I’m gonna buy the $925 Tikka T3X SuperLite Bolt-Action Rifle with TrueTimber Strata Camo - .300 Winchester Magnum. I’m in Texas and I’m not sure if it’s a COVID thing or what but every store has Tikkas sold out. My best option is buying the above Tikka at Cabelas and getting their TrueTimber camo stock, they don’t sell the $749 Superlite in SS/Matte Black OR buying the Tikka T3x Superlite Stainless Bolt Action Rifle - 300 Winchester Magnum from Sportsman Warehouse for $699 but the closes Sportsman is in Las Cruces, NM which is 9 hrs one way trip.

Now here comes the fun part in this thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/tikka-t3x-lite-300wm-brake-installation.155720/ someone had the same train of thought. I plan on finding a gunsmith to perform the same end thread to install a muzzle brake.

Sled

WKR
Alright gents!! It’s not lost on me once I post this message all of you will get the notification lol. First & foremost, I appreciate all the feedback.

After a couple days of reading and re-reading different articles and threads. I think I’m gonna buy the $925 Tikka T3X SuperLite Bolt-Action Rifle with TrueTimber Strata Camo - .300 Winchester Magnum. I’m in Texas and I’m not sure if it’s a COVID thing or what but every store has Tikkas sold out. My best option is buying the above Tikka at Cabelas and getting their TrueTimber camo stock, they don’t sell the $749 Superlite in SS/Matte Black OR buying the Tikka T3x Superlite Stainless Bolt Action Rifle - 300 Winchester Magnum from Sportsman Warehouse for $699 but the closes Sportsman is in Las Cruces, NM which is 9 hrs one way trip.

Now here comes the fun part in this thread https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/tikka-t3x-lite-300wm-brake-installation.155720/ someone had the same train of thought. I plan on finding a gunsmith to perform the same end thread to install a muzzle brake.

I know a good guy in your state that can help you out with threads.

OP
Tips n Tails
@Sled Do you have a name and a #? I’m in San Antonio however, I’m willing to travel to find a good smith who’ll take care of me.

Sled

WKR
@Sled Do you have a name and a #? I’m in San Antonio however, I’m willing to travel to find a good smith who’ll take care of me.
I'll pm you

Shipping might be even easier for you than traveling. Just break down the rifle to the barreled action and he'll get it back to you usually within 7 to 10 days.

Last edited:

davsco

WKR
i thought tikka had a t3x lite now that was threaded, at least for you non-lefty's...

here you go, not sure of the other diff's (weight etc)

have the area419 hellfire brake on my t3x in 300wsm, super highly recommend, shoots like a pussycat.

Sled

WKR
TipsnTails, do yourself a favor and get your tax stamp started. Suppressed is much better than a muzzle brake. Recently they have been coming back in 4-6 months.