Mountain Rig

BuckSnort

WKR
My truck takes me where I'm going unless there is a tight, high clearance trail then I take my Jeep..

truck.jpg

1947 Willy's with a 327 chevy and an SM420 tranny.... It CRAWLS

BaldMountain4x4Trip04075.jpg

P8083519.jpg

Take this for what it's worth..If the trails are tight, rocky and rugged don't spend the money on a nice clean rig (pavement pounder)... Find an older Jeep or Toyota that you won't be scared to scratch and dent up... Also if you are gonna spend the time/money to do anything in the front axle, don't waste your time with a limited slip... Get an Air Locker... Having said that a rig with a locker in the rear end will go more places in 2wd than a rig with open diffs locked in 4wd...

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've had a jeep for the last few years, but I just purchased a Toyota 4 Runner.

8728_1125282702883_2059410_n.jpg

I have owned 2 jeeps (Rubicon and current jeep) and 2 Toyota's....I would pick a Toyota every time!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Umm.....my jeep was made in Mexico:)

My Toyota was made in Texas:)

My Kifaru isn't always in the shop either, but I understand what your saying. I did some research when I was ordering parts for my 2004 Jeep and found out real quick that not many parts are in America....

7mag.

WKR
2004 Dodge Ram 2500. Warn winch, and 35" mud tires. I'll put a pic up later.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Being from detroit you know I have to push the jeep/chevy/ford/dodge onto people! Buy american! Just like you buy when you buy your kifaru gear!

Umm....my Honda Ridgeline was made in KY. My dodge diesel I just parted with was viva la mexico.

Last edited:

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
2005 Dodge Power Wagon has taken me everywhere I've needed (or wanted) to go and the winch has never been used for recovery :)
Just a note on lockers- unless you're rock crawling for a living, use some sort of select lock in the front like an electric locker or use a Tru-Trac. The Tru-Trac is a traction biasing differential and on the trails you mentioned: off-camber, slick, rutted, drop to your death, etc, you don't need both tires in the front spinning at the same time losing traction. The same could be said for the rear but most guys don't go that way as the benefit to a true locker in the rear outways the cons. For you Taco guys (a hunting buddy has one), are there problems putting chains on the front of those trucks?

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 2004 Tacoma that I traded in on a 2007 Tundra. Because of its size the tacoma was way better in the mountains. Now I get nervous on the narrow trails in my tundra, but it's way better than the tacoma for everything else I do.

For you Taco guys (a hunting buddy has one), are there problems putting chains on the front of those trucks?

The set up i am running has 285/70r17(like 33x11.5ish) on the front with wheels spacers just to make the tires clear the upper control arms. No options for chains on the front for me. My next set will be a taller skinnier tire(255/80r17) to give more clearance for that reason.

I also rub a bit on inner fender well at full lock. That is minimal and just plastic the tire is coming into contact with. Justin Davis has a twin to my truck only running skinny tires and i believe he has zero rubbing issues.

2005 Dodge Power Wagon has taken me everywhere I've needed (or wanted) to go and the winch has never been used for recovery
On a side not I ditched the 2007 Power Wagon for a 2011 Tacoma. The PW was to big for most of what I get into...

Hardstalk

WKR
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340204707.715583.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340204727.236153.jpg

Here is what i use it gets me from point a to point b 1 ton axles lockers front and rear military mud terrains 33" short wheel base. Tempted to sell it though hasnt seen much use since i started archery hunting.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
2008 double cab tacoma with factory e-locker, old man emu lift, 285/17-16 tires, arb bumper, winch and slee sliders. One of these days need to regear, put an air locker up front and an on board air compressor.

hunthard

FNG
2006 Dodge Cummins with 35" tires. Gets around very well for a full size truck, but when its stuck its stuck. I did have a tacoma before that , not much room for gear or passengers but not to many places that thing wouldnt go.

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
sanchomaes- thanks for the info regarding the Taco, I'll pass it along. Agree that the PW is large but I need it for other duties as well, even with the under-powered Hemi.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Use to be a 1986 Mitsubishi Montero otherwise known as a Dodge Raider. Locked in the rear and also had lockers in the front with 33in tires and 2 inch body lift. The thing went everywhere and never left me stranded. Now I have my 1984 Dodge Power Ram with the 318 V8. Locked in the rear as well. It's a good rig for anything I will need it for.

Last edited:
OP
Brandon Pattison
GMC Sierra 2011, crew, 1/2 ton stock, limited slip rear, 265 (stock size) Good Year Wrangler Duratrac tires. I prefer the old style MTRs but they changed the pattern, idiots!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never added posi to the front, how spendy is that for say a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton?

The trailhead I want to go up is really greasy, rutted, steep, dropoffs, and etc. Does the heavy Duramax slide any worse or better than a lighter truck?

Franklin, I had a Tacoma I put a straight axle underneath, I would say the dirtymax slides more but it is comparing apples to oranges, my taco was set up for mud/snow. My duramax gets me to camp or trailhead. If it gets too narrow or brushy, I ride in my Polaris ranger. I already have too many Nevada pinstripes on my truck.( scratches from brush) The taco was great off road however I made the switch due to pavement capabilities, I wouldn't drive driven my straight axle tacoma to Missouri to go hunting I will tell ya that much! My duramax is comfortable, quiet, powerful, and a great ride. I also tow car trailers and it didn't seem feasible to pay insurance and registration on two trucks. I'm happy with my setup now. That ranger gets the job done off road, I wish it had a heater is all!

Agree that the PW is large but I need it for other duties as well, even with the under-powered Hemi.

I had the six speed which was very nice. I too thought the Hemi was underpowered for the truck. Before the PW i had a Chevy 2500hd with a 6.0. I had done the same thing to both trucks which includes everybolt on that I could do without getting to deep in the motor. I think that the Chevy 6.0 would outrun the Hemi anyday. The chevy is still in the family as my father has it. I understand the needs of a larger truck. If i had to work a truck as far as pulling trailers or carrying big loads I would have to go back with a Chevrolet. I am done with dodge. The craftsmanship of the truck was not there in my opinion when compared to my toyota or chevy.