Mountain skill & gear, picture & tip thread

Thanks for the posts. It is always interesting to hear how things are different in Europe, I have extended family in Germany.

I will have to try and find one of the open weave, fishnet shirts. I am constantly warm and wet everything through with sweat. I usually only wear a light merino or heavy merino hooded top with either a soft-shell, that is well ventilated, or a Lightweight hardshell. This is defiantly not for the technical hunting that you are doing, as I am in Wisconsin and it is more flat than mountains. When I walked constantly for a job I had I would only wear a very light merino base layer and a heavy wool surplus commando style sweater in the winter, 30-10 F. I was always warm since I was constantly moving, even in rain and when wetted out.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, was hoping for some more alpine stuff too. Here's a film showing my winter hunting/ mountains.
As you can hear from the snow, this is cold to very cold conditions.
Note shape of hood!
This is GREAT! And you're a pretty good videographer also. Thanks for sharing this!

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, glad you liked it. The winter films always end up being a patchwork of shorter clips as the cold seems to kill the batteries really fast.

Here's another film (not mountain specific) that details how I dress and layer. It's pretty much the same in the mountain, I just don't travel so heavy.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Here's another film. Of special interest to this forum should be pack content (I go light) and what I use for shelter.

Dobermann

WKR
This is what I don't like about hunting brands. This specific model has been removed, but in general waist exposure when you bend over, crawl, glass. You know... basic hunting.

Buying hunting clothes online can be difficult (depending on return cost), I highly recommend trying for fit.
View attachment 369985

How will this pant circulate air and what can you possibly fit in these pockets? In colder climates, you lose a lot of unneccessary energy when you plaster the fabric into the thighs.
View attachment 369986

Here you see the difference in waist protection. Only one will cover your rear when you sit down to glass. Also, you will ventilate better if you use suspenders. A tight belt "locks" and you can get quite sweaty in the groin...
View attachment 369987
Hi Thomas,

Which Norrona pants are those?

slowelk

WKR
@THLR i'm curious about the sizing of norrona pants. What is your height, weight, waist, inseam and what size norrona pants do you wear?

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
@THLR i'm curious about the sizing of norrona pants. What is your height, weight, waist, inseam and what size norrona pants do you wear?
I'll have to check, but pretty sure they read XL.
Arcteryx Levon pants size 36 is a perfect fit for me, wear them right now. Arcteryx website has a good size chart.
I'm 191cm and normal weight variation is 94-100kgs.

Have more or less stopped wearing Norrøna now, sizes have changed and my last 3 didn't wear well or had poor pockets.

slowelk

WKR
I'll have to check, but pretty sure they read XL.
Arcteryx Levon pants size 36 is a perfect fit for me, wear them right now. Arcteryx website has a good size chart.
I'm 191cm and normal weight variation is 94-100kgs.

Have more or less stopped wearing Norrøna now, sizes have changed and my last 3 didn't wear well or had poor pockets.

So what have you switched to for your cooler to cold weather hunting? Those Arcteryx look too light and lack many of the features you seem to value, so maybe that was just for size reference.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Arcteryx Levon was just for size reference, both the Arcteryx and Patagonia cut fit my body very well.
Size XL or 36, size charts are on their website

Kuiu, Blaser and Sitka does not. (Require XL Tall where available).

My cold weather pants (as in winter) is a Patagonia reinforced with wool baselayer and white overlayer (locked together via velcro). I do not know which model, but it was a climbing pant w suspenders and H2No membrane. Sophisticated cut for movement, holds warm air well, good waist protection (my finger is on belly button) and excellent vents. I wish hunting manufacturers could do pants this good
20230228_104020.jpg
20230228_104032.jpg

For autumn I simply use any softshell with brushed interior. Pants die fast, so I'm not willing to pay more than USD100'ish and take whatever "good enough" on sale. Currently this is Klattermusen Misty 2.0, before that Norrøna Svalbard (?), before that Sitka Mountain (which was underwhelming)

For wet weather I simply pull a goretex pro (usually) on top of the softshell. When I was a forest hunter, Norrøna Finnskogen goretex pants was excellent, in mountains or heather a crawl usually kills the knees, so again I just buy on sale.

Last year I bought a soft, airy Sitka to use underneath + warmweather, but the cut hugs my arse/balls to tight there's simply too much weather hitting me.

I am now very reluctant to order from abroad, if something is wrong/needs repair, the shipping usually is very expensive and you're stuck with a very expensive piece of rubbish. So logistics makes both Sitka and Kuiu terrible choices for me. Arcteryx, Patagonia, Mountain Equipment, Mammut, Norrøna, Klattermusen, RAB all offer the same for far less because of that.

slowelk

WKR
Arcteryx Levon was just for size reference, both the Arcteryx and Patagonia cut fit my body very well.
Size XL or 36, size charts are on their website

Kuiu, Blaser and Sitka does not. (Require XL Tall where available).

My cold weather pants (as in winter) is a Patagonia reinforced with wool baselayer and white overlayer (locked together via velcro). I do not know which model, but it was a climbing pant w suspenders and H2No membrane. Sophisticated cut for movement, holds warm air well, good waist protection (my finger is on belly button) and excellent vents. I wish hunting manufacturers could do pants this good
View attachment 523347
View attachment 523345

For autumn I simply use any softshell with brushed interior. Pants die fast, so I'm not willing to pay more than USD100'ish and take whatever "good enough" on sale. Currently this is Klattermusen Misty 2.0, before that Norrøna Svalbard (?), before that Sitka Mountain (which was underwhelming)

For wet weather I simply pull a goretex pro (usually) on top of the softshell. When I was a forest hunter, Norrøna Finnskogen goretex pants was excellent, in mountains or heather a crawl usually kills the knees, so again I just buy on sale.

Last year I bought a soft, airy Sitka to use underneath + warmweather, but the cut hugs my arse/balls to tight there's simply too much weather hitting me.

I am now very reluctant to order from abroad, if something is wrong/needs repair, the shipping usually is very expensive and you're stuck with a very expensive piece of rubbish. So logistics makes both Sitka and Kuiu terrible choices for me. Arcteryx, Patagonia, Mountain Equipment, Mammut, Norrøna, Klattermusen, RAB all offer the same for far less because of that.

Thank you for the thorough reply!
The Norrona Svalbard is the pant that had caught my eye, but they look like they've been recently redesigned and there is little information or reviews, at least in english. They are expensive, and your comment on recent design choices and quality has me rethinking. They do have a decent return policy for USA buyers though.

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Norrøna Svalbard is not a good pant, basic design and "cancerlumps" where too much fabric meets and seams fail. They rely on stretch over design. I suspect too many details in execution are left to the factory...

But if that caught your eye, examine Arcteryx Gamma MX instead, a much better designed pant. Arcteryx gives the factory every detail of the execution, and you can sometimes tell when compared to competing brands (especially Norrøna who had to restructure their business and focus more on economy)

Norrøna Svalbard
20230301_150309.jpg
20230301_150318.jpg
Groin
20230301_150333.jpg
Compare this to Arcteryx groin where stress points are gone and freedom of movement better
20230301_150413.jpg

slowelk

WKR
Norrøna Svalbard is not a good pant, basic design and "cancerlumps" where too much fabric meets and seams fail. They rely on stretch over design. I suspect too many details in execution are left to the factory...

But if that caught your eye, examine Arcteryx Gamma MX instead, a much better designed pant. Arcteryx gives the factory every detail of the execution, and you can sometimes tell when compared to competing brands (especially Norrøna who had to restructure their business and focus more on economy)

Norrøna Svalbard
View attachment 523838
View attachment 523839
Groin
View attachment 523840
Compare this to Arcteryx groin where stress points are gone and freedom of movement better
View attachment 523841

Have those sewing flaws on the Svalbard always been an issue? Is that consistent throughout their clothing?

I like most Arcteryx gear, but I've never liked their pants. I think hip vents are essential, and I prefer belt loops vs an integrated belt - I know you prefer suspenders for better heat regulation. The pockets on the gamma mx don't look very functional either - is that not your experience?

OP
THLR

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't used the Gamma MX, it was more for comparison. Allthough I am a suspender-guy, I also want proper belt loops on my pants - the built-in ones never seem to work or hold the tension properly.

Norrøna brands themselves as a premium brand - sure, some models are (Arktis, Finnskogen) but it's not consistent throughout the brand and you get the feeling some product lines leave the actual details to the factory once the overall design is set.

The sewing have been an issue on my three Norrøna pants (non-membrane ones) which is why I stopped buying them (after being a satisfied Norrøna fan for 16'ish years).

slowelk

WKR
I haven't used the Gamma MX, it was more for comparison. Allthough I am a suspender-guy, I also want proper belt loops on my pants - the built-in ones never seem to work or hold the tension properly.

Norrøna brands themselves as a premium brand - sure, some models are (Arktis, Finnskogen) but it's not consistent throughout the brand and you get the feeling some product lines leave the actual details to the factory once the overall design is set.

The sewing have been an issue on my three Norrøna pants (non-membrane ones) which is why I stopped buying them (after being a satisfied Norrøna fan for 16'ish years).

Hate it when a good thing changes. Thanks again for all of the info.