Mountain skill & gear, picture & tip thread

Forestryguy

Well Known Rokslider
Thanks for the posts. It is always interesting to hear how things are different in Europe, I have extended family in Germany.

I will have to try and find one of the open weave, fishnet shirts. I am constantly warm and wet everything through with sweat. I usually only wear a light merino or heavy merino hooded top with either a soft-shell, that is well ventilated, or a Lightweight hardshell. This is defiantly not for the technical hunting that you are doing, as I am in Wisconsin and it is more flat than mountains. When I walked constantly for a job I had I would only wear a very light merino base layer and a heavy wool surplus commando style sweater in the winter, 30-10 F. I was always warm since I was constantly moving, even in rain and when wetted out.

eldeuce

Well Known Rokslider
Thanks, was hoping for some more alpine stuff too. Here's a film showing my winter hunting/ mountains.
As you can hear from the snow, this is cold to very cold conditions.
Note shape of hood!
This is GREAT! And you're a pretty good videographer also. Thanks for sharing this!

OP
T

THLR

Well Known Rokslider
Thanks, glad you liked it. The winter films always end up being a patchwork of shorter clips as the cold seems to kill the batteries really fast.

Here's another film (not mountain specific) that details how I dress and layer. It's pretty much the same in the mountain, I just don't travel so heavy.

OP
T

THLR

Well Known Rokslider
Here's another film. Of special interest to this forum should be pack content (I go light) and what I use for shelter.