Mountain Tactical .223 Magazine Not Feeding?

TX_Diver

WKR
I e-mailed MT Tactical a week ago but no response yet so figured I'd check in here too.

I bought a blem .223 Tikka magazine for a T3x Lite in .223. Shooting handloads w/ LC Brass and 77gr SMKs loaded to 2.341 COAL and 1.953CBTO. Factory Tikka bottom "metal".

When I go to feed a round either the bolt wouldn't catch the round, or it would but the tip of the bullet would jam in the barrel due to the angle and it'd get stuck. Pulling the bolt back slightly to relieve pressure would let the round fall then load.

The other way to solve this was to push up hard on the front of the magazine. There is a bit of play in the magazine with the bottom metal that allows vertical movement at the front of the magazine.

Anyone else seen this or aware of a fix? Factory rounds (significantly shorter) fed fine.

tKbSooPh.jpg

ULstl60h.jpg

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Just as a follow up on this I called and left Mountain Tactical a message yesterday. A few hours later I got a call back from Jeff who apologized as he missed or never received the e-mail I sent via the website.

He was interested in getting the magazine back to examine and offered to replace it with one of their new ones that will be out in the next few weeks as well as refund my shipping costs.

He seemed extremely interested in making sure that this gets taken care of and resolved in a manner that ends up w/ me having a working magazine from them.

Just wanted to post that as a follow up for anyone who turns this thread up while searching for Mountain Tactical magazine reviews. Once I get the new magazine in a few weeks I'll update again.

Lawnboi

WKR
Post up when the new one arrives, curious what they have changed, assuming they machined it to expose a little more case head hopefully. Seems like tolerance stacking and minimal case head presentation has contributed to a lot of problems for people.

I have a few MT 223 mags, and they have run for the most part smoothly for me with longer rounds, I did have some problems with shorter stuff though. That said my mags are used in a mcmillan inlet stock, and when seated they are tight, very tight up against the bottom of the action, I believe contributing to the lack of feeding problems that I have had.

Even on factory mags, there is so little case head showing on the 223 mags, not much to pick up.

Iv got a waters rifleman mag on its way from Australia as well, to see how that goes, may have another option.

Lawnboi

WKR
The waters rifleman actually showed up today, only problem it’s a 6 round and not the 10 I ordered.
Case head presentation, left to right, factory, MT, Waters. Factory extended at the end for size reference.
2ACAFCB6-D02C-4537-8CB1-A18E666DC773.jpeg

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, just curious if @TX_Diver or @Lawnboi you had an update on how the waters or mtn tactical mags are working for you?

Still waiting on my replacement. Talking with mountain tactical a few weeks ago though I should get it pretty quick. He was expecting them around the end of November. Fingers crossed though as delivery has pushed quite a few times now (re-reading my original post it was supposed to be a few weeks from November 2021...)

SouthPaw

WKR
I have two of the .223 waters Mags and they are top notch. Probably 800 rounds through one of them and it's fed flawlessly everytime. Can load the bullets out as long as needed with room to spare.

Still waiting on my replacement. Talking with mountain tactical a few weeks ago thought I should get it pretty quick. He was expecting them around the end of November. Fingers crossed though as delivery has pushed quite a few times now (re-reading my original post it was supposed to be a few weeks from November 2021...)
Did he say they are coming back out with 223 mags? Looks like they discontinued the 223 version but there are a few floating around on 3rd party websites so I wasn’t sure whether to buy now, wait for a new version or buy the one from Australia

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Did he say they are coming back out with 223 mags? Looks like they discontinued the 223 version but there are a few floating around on 3rd party websites so I wasn’t sure whether to buy now, wait for a new version or buy the one from Australia
Yes. That is what I understand the plan has been but it has pushed out a number of times. I’ll definitely update when I get a new mag. The waters ones seem pretty pricey is the main reason I have abandoned the MT mag and ordered one

Lawnboi

WKR
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, just curious if @TX_Diver or @Lawnboi you had an update on how the waters or mtn tactical mags are working for you?
I wouldn’t count on any mountain tactical 223 mags. Mine work fine, they do get hung up when they are dirty though, little more spring would probably help them. I’d assume MT had lots of guys returning them because there is so little case head showing on the 223. I havnt had any problems with them in my manners or mcmillan stocks though. I don’t ink the window in the mag helped any, seems like dust gets in there and the follower hangs up. Iv seen a few of their gen 3 or 4? Mags for short action and it looks like they fixed some problems, but I havnt seen a 223 version or even any reading on the newer generation magazines.

The waters rifleman mags are awesome as long as you okay with an extended mag. Iv got over a thousand rounds on the pair Iv got without a single hickup. Waters rifleman has great instructions, springs are appropriately tensioned, build quality is great and followers have been smooth for me even in the 10 round mags.

I plan on buying a couple more waters mags. The 10 round is great for prairie dogs and the 6 is what Iv been using as an all around magazine.

I’d buck up and just order a waters rifleman if I were in your shoes.

Last edited:

RWA13

FNG
Yes. That is what I understand the plan has been but it has pushed out a number of times. I’ll definitely update when I get a new mag. The waters ones seem pretty pricey is the main reason I have abandoned the MT mag and ordered one

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm having the exact same issue with a 300 WSM mag.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Did you ever get a resolution to this? I'm having the exact same issue with a 300 WSM mag.
No. I’m haven’t checked in recently with MT Tactical but kinda thinking it’s going to be awhile at this point. After archery season I’ll Probably call and ask for a refund. I will update then if there’s any news

RWA13

FNG
No. I’m haven’t checked in recently with MT Tactical but kinda thinking it’s going to be awhile at this point. After archery season I’ll Probably call and ask for a refund. I will update then if there’s any news

I e-mailed them a while back and never got an answer either. I ended going with one with the HCA mags and I'm going to give that a shot.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I e-mailed them a while back and never got an answer either. I ended going with one with the HCA mags and I'm going to give that a shot.
I've never e-mailed them but typically had good luck calling the number on the website. Greg would usually call back within 24 hours. It's been a few months so I can't say if that's still the case or not but worth trying if you haven't.

I recently purchased a T3X Compact .223 and was disappointed to find the limited length available for loading cartridges long.

It seems the only viable option currently is the waters rifleman but at $113 USD each that is disappointing considering all of the hype surrounding the Tikka 223 rifles.

I’ll bite the bullet and order one assuming it works with factory bottom metal.

The instructions they mailed me have my scammer flags up. Can anyone confirm this is the process they had to go through to order?

Hello, and thank you for your email and your interest in my products...

Note, below PRICES ARE IN USD$.
Note, below details are valid for 7 days from the date of sending this email.
Note, stock is as of sending this email. It may sell out during our correspondence. Please act quickly to avoid disappointment.
Note, you must have read our website regarding the information and specifications of this magazine prior to purchase.

MAGAZINES: http://www.watersrifleman.com/magazines/
- #0012 T3x 223 base 6R 2.6" (66mm) OAL, all metal hard anodised, US$113ea. No Stock. Available now.

Feel free to check my website for other products you may be interested in, and I'll definitely help where I can. I offer a few bucks off for subsequent items...

SHIPPING:
- FedEx shipping only. USD$33 for up to 1lb provided the delivery is in a metro capital type area (ie. not in a remote rural area) within country (rural areas may incur a 3rd party delivery charge). This includes tracking. Shipping time is around 4 days to major ports. Suggest to make the most of it and fill up the 0.5kg as much as possible (perhaps look to share shipping costs with friends for their items of interest?).
- FedEx person signature on delivery (SOD) an extra US$4.
- FedEx customer (the buyer) can choose for shipping insurance which is available for extra charge, with the cost depending on insured amount - cost around US$14 per US$100 (again, this is a customer choice).
Note: It is advisable to have the package shipped to somewhere secure, preferably under camera, or absolutely to a place where somebody known to you is to expect the package...and keep that person updated with the FedEx updates that are sent out regarding coming delivery. This is a small responsibility you should take on to absolutely avoid your parcel going missing. Once the package leaves shore, there is no further responsibility taken for the package under any circumstances.

PAYMENT: You have 2 payment options:
a) Send a cheque to my friend in Maryland. This will save you the PayPal surcharge and save you an AUD to USD conversion fee also. This is a slower process due to time for postage etc.
b) Payment via PayPal incurring an additional 4% PP charge that must be added to the total. PP is horrible to the firearms industry, so item descriptions will be slightly softened. If you don't have PayPal, no problem. I can email you a PayPal electronic payment request and you simply pay with Credit Card. This payment is near immediate so items can ship next day.

PROCEEDING TO ORDER: If you wish to proceed, simply:
a) Confirm which item/s you want, and the quantity of each?
b) Confirm if you wish for any FedEx extras (SOD, insurance, etc) (nothing listed means accepting the std FedEx)?
c) Confirm a suitable (and complete) delivery address?
d) Confirm a suitable telephone contact number?
e) Confirm your chosen payment method?

...I will then send payment process details accordingly.

Please note, units will ship ASAP, but if there is a delay, it is for a reason and will be attended to ASAP...and you'll be emailed the relevant tracking number details.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I’m betting that most of them are already allocated as warranty replacements. I know my five are.

P
I'm betting that... and also betting that it's not January based on the last year of waiting. At some point they'll come out though so I really hope I'm wrong!

Not thrilled with the accuracy of responses regarding timelines so far, but to Jeff's credit every time I call he calls back and let's me know he hasn't forgotten and that they're in progress, etc.