Mountain vs pac boot

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for cold weather boot. Will walk in up to a mile then be stationary for hours. These will be for 30 degrees and colder. I’ve had Irish setter elk trackers in 1000 gram and my feet have been cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoseAllen

FNG
Yes. Now I use a supportive insole below the felt liner. Also I use one size up felt liner compared to boot size. I ordered size 10 and 11 boots and tried many insoles and felt liner sizes. Went with size 10 boot, size 11 felt boot liner and full supported insoles below boot liner.

peterk123

WKR
I have the Hoffmann pacd with the 200 grab thibsulate. So far I've been good to 18 degrees while ice fishing. The felts should be super warm. They hike well. Not like hunting boots but you can easily bang out a few miles in them. I have superfeets in them too, which really help with fit. They get better every time I wear them.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Hoffmans. I have the heaviest felt liner style boot and love them. Again, not like a hiking boot, but just what the Dr ordered for colder weather. I have not tried the Super Feet or other support inserts but may just have to try that.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for cold weather boot. Will walk in up to a mile then be stationary for hours. These will be for 30 degrees and colder. I’ve had Irish setter elk trackers in 1000 gram and my feet have been cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give our Extreme's a look. Warmest boot we make (right here in Bozeman, MT). I've personally stood on ice, in -34F temps for 8 hours while ice fishing in mine.. never got cold feet. As for walking, they aren't bad for a few miles. More than that and I'd go with less insulation and throw on a thicker sock when stationary. There's always going to be a trade off with warmth/walkability. Warmer boots generally are going to be bulkier and larger as the insulation increases.

- Matt

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I have never found an insulated boot that would keep my feet warm in cold temps if I’m stationary. The solution for me is a lightweight, uninsulated hiker and when I get to my spot I will change into dry socks. Then I put an insulated overboot on with a handwarmer in the overboot and my feet stay toasty. I’ve been using Icebreaker boot blankets for years and they are excellent but bulky. I’m trying out the Wiggys overboot this year because it packs down better.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Overboots, like Forty Below with whatever boots you normally wear. Puffy pants and a down parka will go a long way towards keeping your feet warm as well.

Make sure your feet have room. Thick socks will make your feet colder if they cause compression and decrease blood flow.

My feet have beed cold in warm weather (10-15 F) in La Sportiva G2s because I was dressed for being active and ended up laying in snow for about 30 minutes. Conversely, they have been warm in Oboz Bridger 9s at -20 because I had adequate insulation on the rest of me.

For anyone who is not familiar with those boots, the G2s are significantly warmer.

PAC Boots are definitely under-rated imo. especially If your going to be in snow, doing what you described im definitely going w/ a PAC.

If your going to be doing multiple days, one of the greatest feature of a pac boot is the removable liner, way easier to dry, which keeps your feet more comfortable.

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
I have cold feet and picked up the Hoffman pack boots a couple years ago. They are great. For the price I got 2 pairs of liners (the thick ones) so if hunting from home or wall tent can switch out for dry ones every other day. While I couldn't cover the same miles as my all leather Scarpas they do not bad.

Scorpion

WKR
I’ve been using the Schnee’s 10” Hunter II since last season and really like them when it’s colder and I won’t be doing enough active hunting to stay warm. They are comfortable enough to walk a few miles on and really keep my feet warm when I’m static.

b2one

WKR
You don't mention what kind of walking that 1 mile will be. If it is not technical, a Pac boot is definitely the way to go, they are way more comfortable than a mountain boot. If it gets too vertical, then a Pac boot will make that mile a tough one. Either way, a double boot (removeable liner) will be the warmest whether you are looking to be out 1 day or multiple days. In a Pac boot, some good options have already been mentioned. In a mountaineering boot, you would want something like the La Sportiva Baruntse with a removeable foam liner boot. You can also find used plastic boots like the Koflach Arctis Expe pretty cheap.

As mentioned earlier, If your feet are getting cold, check the insulation on the rest of your body as well. Make sure your cold weather boots don't fit too tight, either.

gday5

FNG
Another vote for Schnee's. I use the Black Buffalo boots, but I think they are basically the same as the Hunter II. I've hiked a long ways in them and they are very comfortable and warm. The extremes would work even better if you're stationary for a long time.

Akicita

WKR
Pick the most comfortable boots or approach shoes regardless of insulation to walk in with. . . When you get to your "stationary" spot, take them off and throw on a pair of quality down booties. I have worn a pair of Western Mountaineering "Standard Men's" booties in sub zero degree weather in winter mountaineer base camps for days on end never getting cold feet. . . and bring an extra pair of dry socks to put on before donning the down booties.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
As soon as elk season turns cold and snowy I go from mountain boots to pac boots, Schnee's Hunter's (circa 1990's and resoled twice)- I'm still racking tough 10+ mile days w/ pacs. These aren't your Sorel type pacs, these are built to walk in (a lot).

Go with the high ones and you negate the need for gaiters too.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had not worn a pac boot hunting since the 80s but picked up a pair of the Hoffman’s last year..and was very glad I did on this 10 degree day..traction solid, comfortable, very warm and support ok for a pac boot, I added my spikes on this day as the snow was so fine and slippery…I also will likely carry my one ankle support as that is something to be careful of when wearing pacs…you can also get them with corks and many swear by that….my every day hike is with boots so used to weight but these will make you work harder climbing for sure but worth it on cold and snowy/wet days…I picked up a second set of liners to have in camp…they are built for hiking unlike a sorel pack boot

Attachments

• F1662E6B-6D99-4380-92F9-A83B47930F09.jpeg
    F1662E6B-6D99-4380-92F9-A83B47930F09.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 41