Mountain Whitetail Rifle

jimmy33

WKR
Hey guys…looking for some ideas. The next rifle i will be getting will be for hunting mountain whitetails here in the west. I have a 270wsm for mule deer, elk, and antelope already. Ive decided on the Leupold 2-8 vx3 scope but i am really having a hard time figuring out a rifle and caliber. Kimber Adirondack? Kimber Hunter? Tikka? 6.5 creedmore? 243? Shots are usually 50 yards or less but can be out to 300. Just looking for some ideas….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend the Kimbers, if you could find one. I have 2 Montanas in 7-08 and 257 Roberts. Both are excellent mountain rifles and a pure pleasure to carry. With that same scope on both, and 4 rounds, they're each just a titch over 6#.

Last edited:
certainly the 270 wsm would work fine but there's nothing wrong with wanting a lower recoiling rifle for whitetail that don't need that much horsepower. IMO there is no reason to go bigger than 6.5 for whitetail but about any 6-6.5mm centerfire cartridge will meet the needs described. I'd just pick one that is cost efficient and available. To me, the 6 and 6.5 creedmoor is the easy button but nothing wrong with a 243, modest quarter bore, or 260.

I like tikkas and sakos. My one browning xbolt has been great to me. Never used kimber but some of the QA issues discussed on the internets will probably keep me from them.

I'd get a .308 or 7 mm-08. I have a Browning X-Bolt Sporter in 308 that I won at a DU event. Just put a synthetic stock on it and Cerakoted the barrel. I have yet to shoot it since getting it back from the gunsmith, but it has replaced my .270 for whitetail. I will most likely be taking it on my elk hunt this year.

Really like that gun. It's not a "mountain" rifle, but relatively light weight.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
CA Ridgeline in 6.5prc, Stokeys carbon fiber stock, Ziess Conquest v4, talley lws

Attachments

• 35754.jpeg
    35754.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 60
I was looking for a new rifle last year for similar hunting and distance. I already had a 300wsm so settled on a kimber Montana in 308 to stay with .30 cals. The browning x bolt was a close second choice. Controlled feed and similar safety to my Ruger m77 was the deciding factor for me.

My mountain rifle is a Tikka T3 lite in 300 wsm with 2 inches chopped off the barrel, barrel and bolt flutted. I've been thinking about a WT specific one in 270wsm.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m simple when it comes to a mountain rifle lol. I myself have a ruger American 308. I have had cut down. Now if I was in the market again and was going to carry a rifle again. I’d go with the sako 85 carbon light or savage 110 ultralight. 308 in caliber. I feel like I can kill any animal in North America with a 308

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
If I was looking for a whitetail specific mountain rifle, I would get something with some style and character. Something in a 6.5x55, mostly because I always thought it was the quintessential deer round. I already have a tikka hunter, which is not bad at all to carry in the mountains. Or maybe a t3 lite.

TN2shot07

WKR
I put together a model 7 in 243 for my wife, I don’t think it gets much better for something light and fast handling. If I reloaded it probably would’ve been a 7-08 but that ammo has been much harder to find consistently the last couple years. I’m not big on the winged safeties so that removed some options already listed above for me

Lowg08

WKR
I put together a model 7 in 243 for my wife, I don’t think it gets much better for something light and fast handling. If I reloaded it probably would’ve been a 7-08 but that ammo has been much harder to find consistently the last couple years. I’m not big on the winged safeties so that removed some options already listed above for me
I’ve got a cousin with a model 7 7-08 and now that’s a snazzy little rifle

Titan_Bow

WKR
I killed my first deer when I was 13, with a Model Seven Mountaineer in 7-08. That was a great little gun. It was my brothers and he sold it at some point. I’ve always wanted another one.
My go to rifle these days has been a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creed. I put it in a Bell and Carlson stock with stainless bottom metal. That really made it feel like a much nicer rifle! It’s a great shooter though, makes little clover leaf shot groups with Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing I have learned is if you want a light weight/ weatherproof rifle generally speaking its best to start with one.
Customizing and reducing weight can get expensive by the ounce. Now I admit it can be fun and sometimes you just cant find all the features you want so some customizing might be needed.