Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT - install stovejack?

Poser

WKR
That’s good to know, I was considering going with something bigger because I wanted longer burn time. But if it’s going to be a hinderance in space and cumbersome, I might just go the smaller route.

I have a 14 inch TiGoat stove for mine and it will cook you out. I wouldn’t use an 18 either.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
That looks pretty sweet. Anything you’d do different in retrospect on your placement? That’s the same side and position I was thinking about going with.
Yeah I put my Jack relatively high on the vesitibule. But it doesn’t allow for a great angle of the stove pipe, putting it close to the peak of the tent. I measured mine so the bottom of the Jack was level with the top toggle for rolling up the door, I would do the middle if I were to do it again.

I can get by like this though because I use a bafffle in mine and reverse the direction so the stove pipe is on the front.

My stove has enough play in it that I can put thr stove pipe at a pretty good angle from the stove body. I'm not sure if they all work that way. I can push mine forward and to center. This pushes the pipe outside the tent back and out. Just a thought if you don't like where the stove sits now.

krisn416

WKR
I used the lite outdoors stove Jack as it already comes with a silnylon over flap for when the stove is not in use.
Ah good call ok. Thanks!

Anyone have experience with their stove with the dampener and pipe in the front? Seems like it might work better than the pipe in the back in this tent.

bushpilot

Lil-Rokslider
Ah good call ok. Thanks!

Anyone have experience with their stove with the dampener and pipe in the front? Seems like it might work better than the pipe in the back in this tent.
I have the baffle in mine, I burned it in like you mentioned as that is how Brendan recommends it. Planning on using it this spring, so will report back in a month or so. I’m not completely sold on the baffle idea so might use it conventionally in the long run.

krisn416

WKR
I have the baffle in mine, I burned it in like you mentioned as that is how Brendan recommends it. Planning on using it this spring, so will report back in a month or so. I’m not completely sold on the baffle idea so might use it conventionally in the long run.
That would be awesome, would appreciate the feedback before I make the leap!

Awesome pic, thank you for that. Looks tight, think two close people (wife) could fit in there with the stove without getting too close to the heat? That a 6' pipe?

It’s possible, but I wouldn’t recommend it. You’d probably have to keep all of your gear outside. And someone would end up having to climb over the other person to exit the shelter at night with the stove running. Without the stove, there’s plenty of room for two people. I use it for solo adventures though with all my gear inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krisn416

WKR
Hey man, any updates on how it went?

I ordered the tapered one from Bear Paw and put it higher and further back a bit.

I encountered the same issue with sewing: tent is slippery and jack is not. I just pinned the crap out of it, then seam sealed it really well.
**if your wife is good at sewing, perhaps she won’t have the same problems I did

Works well - had two guys in it, plus gear and DIY stove for 2 nights and it was fine.

I have found that the clover wonder clips or even binder clips work pretty well to hold things in place instead of pinning. Also a walking foot can be a relatively cheap option that helps but doesn’t always work perfectly.

33df334a45c87a250f8c7824c498e228.jpg

88843c3afa486d704802adc175a40ead.jpg

Here’s some photos of my LT with the stove jack installed. (That’s a homemade stove if anyone’s wondering. It works for car camping but wouldn’t backpack with it.)