Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

Manosteel

WKR
I will have to measure but I am pretty sure its a 48" (4ft) pipe. Don't worry about burning up your trekking pole. The small stove radiates heat. Its not focused in anyone place or direction. It will heat up your Mountain Smith LT real quick. makes it real nice in there especially if the temp drops. When I was out this year we had a huge dump of snow that weekend in the mtns and while it didn't stick around it was right around 0C (35F) and lower at nights. The stove was soooo nice. in the morning me and my hunting partner were so comfortable in the mornings after getting the fire going it was hard peeling ourselves out of our bags. For bad weather, a stove is worth the weight penalty.

Poser

WKR
Just curious because I am interested in adding a stove to my shelter. I usually use the shelter solo, but if I had a second person, could 2 people sleep in the shelter with the stove running?

parshal

WKR
Two could sleep in it with a stove but it'd be tight. If all I had was a medium stove that's what I'd run but I'd opt for a smaller stove if I had a choice.

fastphin

FNG
Personally, I want a bit more space for two people if going for more than just 1-2 nights. My SL-3 is 60 sq ft and I wouldn't want to have that be my only shelter for very long with another guy and all our gear.

Keep in mind that floorless shelters get wet on the inside compared to a double wall. This makes the shelter a bit smaller than it is due to voiding the wet walls. Especially if you suck the whole thing to the ground. The higher the pitch the better really in most instances if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

For the money though it certainly like a great little shelter for sure!!! One thing I'd like to see on it is all the guyouts on the bottom of the tent have tensioners cause when it rains it'll need to be tightened up as the silnylon expands. But for two guys their packs, guns, would leave very little space to move around or cook out of the rain...which is fine if you know that going in and aren't tent bound due to weather for too many days.

Again great looking shelter given the coin for sure.

Realize this is an old thread after coming back from testing this shelter out for 3 days rain, snow and sleet Luke you are spot on about condensation. I may just continue to use it throughout further scouting and reevaluate at end of season. Seek outside was another consideration just couldnt get one in time.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with Luke and fastphin. It's a great little shelter for the money and could do 2 guys and gear in a pinch but I wouldn't want another guy in it with me if we're socked in from rain for more than a day. Solid shelter though especially for one guy and gear.

Colberjs

WKR
I ordered me one of these last night. Ended up getting it for $99 and free shipping with a 10% off code on Campmor.

Can't wait to try it out. I may go ahead and get a stove jack sewn in it.

Colberjs

WKR
Got my shelter today! I set it up in the front yard and I think I'm going to like it.

I have a question. As I was taking it down I noticed one of my stakes is about 1/2" shorter than the rest. Is there a reason for this or is it just a fluke? I didn't notice it until after so it didn't seem to hurt anything.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got my shelter today! I set it up in the front yard and I think I'm going to like it.

I have a question. As I was taking it down I noticed one of my stakes is about 1/2" shorter than the rest. Is there a reason for this or is it just a fluke? I didn't notice it until after so it didn't seem to hurt anything.
Fluke

xrangerx

WKR
Figured as I just ordered one of these I would give this a bump. Campmor has them for just under $88 with free shipping (have to use the 20% off code).

sto4355

FNG
Does anyone still use this shelter? Do you have any complaints? Im looking into getting this for elk hunting. It seems very similar to the Kifaru Super Tarp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone still use this shelter? Do you have any complaints? Im looking into getting this for elk hunting. It seems very similar to the Kifaru Super Tarp.

I would not say it's that similar to a supertarp. It is a damn good little shelter for the money. It's great for 1 guy but a little tight for 2.

ljalberta

WKR

I've been using it scouting this year. Definitely a great value shelter. I think my biggest gripe is how close the poles are together. I've found sleeping diagonal has worked best for me so far.

Daniel_M

WKR

I've got one sitting on the shelf if you're interested, brand new.

I love mine. I bought a bigger tipi for truck camping and for if I'm hunting with a buddy. If I'm hunting deer up high the mountain smith is my go to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishhead

FNG
When using it alone I angle both poles a foot and a half to one side giving me more room without hitting the poles. Of course it requires longer poles or sticks which i often use instead.