Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

edg1967

WKR
Can either side of the door be staked out permanently? I'm thinking of possibly sewing in a stove jack to burn my Parastove in it. Or, are there other areas a stove jack could be placed?

Can either side of the door be staked out permanently? I'm thinking of possibly sewing in a stove jack to burn my Parastove in it. Or, are there other areas a stove jack could be placed?

I'm sure you could put a stove jack on it. You could put the stove jack all the way in the back, that would be new!

edg1967

WKR
I'm sure you could put a stove jack on it. You could put the stove jack all the way in the back, that would be new!

I was thinking about that as an alternative if it didn't work in the door area. It might be nice getting in and out of it without having the stove to work around...especially if being used by two.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Not the greatest weight but definitely not the worst. I too was looking at Promotive and thinking about this shelter. For the price I just might have to pull the trigger. Looks pretty good.

Ozz08

WKR
This mountainsmith shelter looks like another good option for the backcountry. I had plans to order a mega tarp with annex in the next couple weeks but at the price of the mountain shelter I might give it a go. This thing is a 1/4 of the price of the mega w/annex and really only a minor weight penalty.

sk1

WKR
Primotive pricing? How does one get that?

www.promotive.com

Basically if you fall into a team of people a company thinks will promote their products they give you discounts. It varies what companies give discounts depending on your occupation and what fields your involved in. You have to be able to prove you are in whatever field you say you are and wait for validation. I have saved hundreds of dollars as some discounts are substantial.

Go to the site and see if you can qualify

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Well I couldn't pass up the price on this one, $91 with taxes and shipping for me (military). Just ordered and should have sometime next week. Its a little heavier then the super tarp w/annex but 10oz extra saved me about $350ish. I'll carry the 10oz more for that difference. We will see how it goes. If its a bad buy at least I'm not out that much

sk1

WKR
Well I couldn't pass up the price on this one, $91 with taxes and shipping for me (military). Just ordered and should have sometime next week. Its a little heavier then the super tarp w/annex but 10oz extra saved me about $350ish. I'll carry the 10oz more for that difference. We will see how it goes. If its a bad buy at least I'm not out that much

i thought about buying one just to have it in the arsenal lol.....hard not to at that price. i have been able to restrain myself thus far. let us know what you think of it!

For that price I think you have a win win product.

edg1967

WKR
I just ordered one too. For less than $85 I could hardly go wrong...famous last words. If I lived where I could used one every weekend in the summer & for several weeks in the fall I would get the Megatarp. However, I only get a week's use a year so it's hard to justify the extra money. I'm going to sew a stove jack into it...probably get one from Ti Goat unless there are better options. Still not sure where I'll put it either.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Nope and nope. haha

Once some of the snow melts and the weather gets better I'll do a test run and write a review. Probably looking at about another month here in CO

lastcall

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds good, I think I will pick one up for the Promotive price. Looking forward to your review AJ.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
I have an ID Sildome which is similar concept, but the Mountainsmith looks larger and definitely has a more usable interior space. I Like Edg1967 thoughts on installing a stove jack and using a small wood stove. It appears that it may be large enough.

Last edited: