Mountainsmith Shelter LT

Anyone have experience with this tarp?

Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT

At just over 2 lbs, and about 16" all packed up, I am considering it as my shelter for solo hunting/hiking. Zippered front, looks like plenty of room for 1 and gear or 2 and some gear. And I can get a ridiculous discount on it. So looks/sounds good given the price I can get it at brand new. Just don't want one of those stories where I should have just spent the extra money and went with something else.

MIKEYB

WKR
I have run this shelter for the last two seasons, solid shelter for the retail price. Not sure if I would run 2 guys in it. Its doable. If you can get steep discount I would not hesitate to add it to the stable.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its decent for what it is. Its a tad heavy for this size and also I personally would want it a bit longer between the poles (and wider if using for 2 folks). If you pitch it suspended from something so the rear pole at least isn't inside that would certainly change the equation. But for the price its solid.

OP
A
Thanks for the insight, never really heard of the company until a friend of mine handed me a 25% off wholesale coupon. I can get the shelter for 60 bucks!

Fishhead

FNG
I have also run this shelter the last 2 seasons. Nice tarp for the price. I usually cut poles to replace the hiking poles. I want the hiking poles with me all day. Last year i had 2 people in this shelter and it was fine. I have also ran it solo and it is great alone. You can cut the weight bu a couple ounces by not packing some of the stakes or guy lines. Out west i didnt have much a problem with condensation, but i ran it in November where i live in Wisconsin and the condensation was a problem. The ground was pretty damp though when i set up. I see they offer it in green now.

svivian

WKR
Thanks for the insight, never really heard of the company until a friend of mine handed me a 25% off wholesale coupon. I can get the shelter for 60 bucks!

For that price what do you have to lose... easily turn around and sell it if you don't like it. A lot of people like that shelter on here.

I picked up one for this season to see if i like floorless , ive pitched it a few times , super ez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have experience with this tarp?

Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT

At just over 2 lbs, and about 16" all packed up, I am considering it as my shelter for solo hunting/hiking. Zippered front, looks like plenty of room for 1 and gear or 2 and some gear. And I can get a ridiculous discount on it. So looks/sounds good given the price I can get it at brand new. Just don't want one of those stories where I should have just spent the extra money and went with something else.
It's a great little shelter, jump on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
Never could get into that yellow, but I saw this thread today and then happened to notice a new green option... looking forward to trying my new shelter. Rokslide strikes again...:cool:

OP
A
Rokslide strikes again...:cool:

It's notorious for that haha.

Got 2 of the shelters (1 for me and dad), 2 pairs of the tellurite outerlock trek poles (1 for me and my old lady), and......that dog bed. Yes a dog bed, but it packs small, and is better than the few blankets we currently set her up on. Discount was for 5 items, might as well use it to the fullest right

rgroves79

Lil-Rokslider
Never could get into that yellow, but I saw this thread today and then happened to notice a new green option... looking forward to trying my new shelter. Rokslide strikes again...:cool:

Just got my green one in the mail yesterday. So much better than that yellow color.

Colberjs

WKR
I have a yellow version but it sure does look slick in green. I would like it better if I could've found a spot to position it under a tree and suspend it from above as opposed to poles or sticks to raise it. At 6'3' 250+ it is awkward for me to get in and out and function inside of it. I picked a up a used SO BT-2 last year that I used in CO and I prefer it to the Mountainsmith personally. Still haven't committed to selling it though.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
That green is pretty neat and would stand out much less in many cases. However, I did a trip last October in Northern WI and had a heck of a time finding my tent as all the maple leaves were the same yellow!

Good tent, a tad heavy as its 70d Silnylon but for the price I'd buy another if I wrecked this one. It's well constructed and lots of room for solo use. For a shared space the fella with the smallest bladder would want to be by the door.

8cb3de11-d97d-4301-a337-6410b3d292e0_zpscmzsli9r.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
A
That green is pretty neat and would stand out much less in many cases. However, I did a trip last October in Northern WI and had a heck of a time finding my tent as all the maple leaves were the same yellow!

Good tent, a tad heavy as its 70d Silnylon but for the price I'd buy another if I wrecked this one. It's well constructed and lots of room for solo use. For a shared space the fella with the smallest bladder would want to be by the door.

Ya, that yellow actually works pretty well in the Midwest falls.

You might have an older one? One I just ordered says 40d sil-nylon

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
Huh, you are right, they did change the fabric weight. I bought mine in the spring of 2015 and its 70d. Might think about buying a green one to shave a few ounces and save my yellow for colder weather (I put a stove jack in it.)