Mountainsmith tarp tent or eureka solitaire?

I will be using one of these two options for my 2nd rifle season hunt, along with a Kodak canvas tent for base camp. Which of those backpack tents would you use and why? “Neither” is not an option as these are what I have and I have no budget for anything else. Ive spent a few nights in the eureka but not the tarp tent. Thanks in advance.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I guess nobody has an opinion?

My preference is the Mountainsmith tarp for the space and ability to cook under the fly, but I have concerns about condensation and having to either pack along trekking poles or find a tree branch or something to set it up.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I’m using the Mountainsmith shelter on my 1st rifle hunt coming up in less than a week. Probably a bit late notice, but if I have a minute to reply here after I’ve slept a couple nights in it, I’ll let you know how it is.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I’m using the Mountainsmith shelter on my 1st rifle hunt coming up in less than a week. Probably a bit late notice, but if I have a minute to reply here after I’ve slept a couple nights in it, I’ll let you know how it is.
Thanks. I guess I'll just take both and if I don't like the MS shelter, I'll take the Eureka. That is of course if I don't see legal bucks from my base camp in which case I wouldn't need either. LOL

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve had both, mountainsmith by far. The solitaire is tiny and will be an inch from your face with a heavy dew. Snow would break the poles easy on the solitaire.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I’ve had both, mountainsmith by far. The solitaire is tiny and will be an inch from your face with a heavy dew. Snow would break the poles easy on the solitaire.
Okay, thanks. I've read a lot about the pole breakage and was concerned about it. Although I've had a couple good nights in it so far, those have been warm and dry hiking trips. I'll give the MS the first shot and who knows. Maybe I'll love it.

Out of curiosity, did you use any kind of floor in yours? I have the footprint from my Alps Chaos 3 (12 oz.) that I was planning to use to keep my pad and bag clean. Also, did you use trekking poles or trees or sticks that you cut? It sure is appealing to think of just tying it to trees or finding the right length stick instead of packing the poles. But then if you do bring the poles, you can set it up anywhere and you have trekking poles for the pack out too. Hmmm.

1967marti

FNG
The solitaire is pretty small but is nice due to the bug protection. The things I didn't like about it is that it 100% depends on a good stake-out. the rain-fly is permanently attached, so you can't use the fly as a small tarp if you are posted up like you can with the tarp. I ended up grabbing an ionosphere from snugpack for the muted color and its a bit bigger.

tdhanses

WKR
Okay, thanks. I've read a lot about the pole breakage and was concerned about it. Although I've had a couple good nights in it so far, those have been warm and dry hiking trips. I'll give the MS the first shot and who knows. Maybe I'll love it.

Out of curiosity, did you use any kind of floor in yours? I have the footprint from my Alps Chaos 3 (12 oz.) that I was planning to use to keep my pad and bag clean. Also, did you use trekking poles or trees or sticks that you cut? It sure is appealing to think of just tying it to trees or finding the right length stick instead of packing the poles. But then if you do bring the poles, you can set it up anywhere and you have trekking poles for the pack out too. Hmmm.

I used a tyvek ground sheet and trekking poles.