Mountan Bike Setup

blackdawg

WKR
I need a few things for my new mountain bike to set it up for hunting from basecamp/the house/camper. What is the preferred method for carrying a bow or gun? Anyone have pics getting it done? I also need a rear rack that I can strap various deer stands on, trailer's sound great but I don''t want the hassle of transporting and hooking one up. I also need some fender's that will help keep the mud and water off me and the gear, suggestions? Lastly, I need a kickstand,,,laying the bike down on side of roads, in mud ,leaning against truck, etc,,,isn't working for me, any suggestions? Any other suggestions for gear that is useful for day hunting?

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
The bike is specialized rockhopper pro, I don’t believe it has anything setup for racks welded to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like a seat post mounted rack with p-clips might be your best bet. I have no experience with them but they should be solid.

Found this artical usefull for you:
All About Rear Pannier Racks for Bicycle Touring - CyclingAbout.com

I would also look at a traingle frame bag.
As far as mounting your rifle, you are gonna have to get creative.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add to this that I personally carry my bow or rifle in my pack. I just use the bike for covering ground faster. Then hoof it to were I want to hunt. I ride a Marin pine mountain with front rack from radioverks. I don't have a rear rack yet.

Beendare

WKR
That was a great article. I can tell you from experience [bad] that lowering your center of gravity is key. Even riding with a pack on is a lot more unstable.

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
I agree, keeping the center of gravity low on anything with two wheels is important. The bow/gun racks from Rambo bikes and the trailer looks interesting, anyone have experience with those products?

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Let’s see some action photos with guns and packs on those mountain bikes!

mro

FNG
Check out old man mountain for bike racks that fit on bike without rack eyelets. To mount a rifle, I think you'll need to play around and see what works for your specific bike / gun. I remember seeing old-school photos of light infantry using rifles mounted on the top tube of a bike (something like this).

This just reminded me of seeing some guy riding a road bike through town wearing a full lycra suit with a compound bow strapped to his back. He was hauling ass and had a hot lady-friend riding behind him (she had a pretty big dog in her backpack too). Looked like fun.

wapitibob

WKR
I have 2 trailers; Burley modified and BOB Ibex. The BOB is going scouting over the 4th. As far as bows go, I have had it mounted on the handle bars as well as strapped to my pack. The handle bars was easier, pack might be safer.

Poser

WKR
For Fenders, I have Mud Shovels for my fat bike. Looks like they have been rebranded but this is the same design.

That same company also makes after market kickstands.