Mounting Scopes

I am going to buy some scope rings for my Tikka T3x this month and I need some advice. My intent with my Leupold scope is to send in ballistic data for a CDS cap. If I buy some precision machined scope rings do I need to purchase alignment bars? If I torque the bases down to scope rings specs and there is only a minor offset with the bases is this a big concern with long range hunting? Lapping does not seem that important to me considering the rings are precision machined.

wapitibob

WKR
The machining of the ring isn’t the problem, it’s keeping the ring cylinders concentric to each other. The base fit to action and ring fit to base is where things can get skewed. I use a one piece rail, bedded to the action to help with that then dust the rings with a lapping bar. Lapping shouldn’t go thru the ring coating or there’s a problem.

ChrisA

WKR
I've also bedded the scope in the lower rings on my last four scope mounts; using a release agent on the scope tube so its not permanent of course.

Chris

If your using a quality base and rings I have never seen any reason to bother with lapping or alignment. I think the majority of people mess up because they do not torque their rings or bases. They just go by feel method and call it good and over torque the rings which mess up the scope. You cannot fell 25-40in lbs. it is just barley past finger tight and that is all the scope needs.

I have in the past bedded bases to the rifle but now I don’t, it didn’t seem to help anything in my opinion. It doesn’t hurt to do it either but I don’t. Same with lapping I guess but with lapping you are actually removing material from the rings (a small amount) and if you buy a 100 dollar plus pair of rings and 100 plus base you just defeated the purpose of buying good rings and a base.

If you lap rings I wouldn’t want to use those rings on anything else after that because if you use a different scope or move it to a different rifle there could be just a tiny bit different. since you have lapped them once already there is a good chance the second time could reduce the rings contact area enough that the proper torque no longer is sufficient and if you don’t lap them then you are basically saying there was no reason to do it the first time. The reason you did it the first time was to take out the possibility of alignment issue with base to rifle and rings to base and rings to scope contact. Since you changed something then you no longer have the same alignment or contact so you would need to relap in my opinion since you changed something (don’t know if people actually relap I was just trying to make a point). Now if your using cheaper rings and bases I can see the point, that is why they are cheaper the tolerances/qc is not as good.

I do not lap or use anything for aligning and have never had an issue but if it makes someone feel good go ahead and do it I say. The only thing I have ever had happen is shearing bolts in the base of my 300 ultra mag, I have a break on it and was shooting a heavy scope and that base I had actually bedded. I had the gunsmith put tap the wholes for larger screws when I had it fixed.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Read this tutorial and go from there:

DV4LF3

FNG
Never necessarily “needed” with quality rings but I would do it because I am very particular about certain things and precision is one of those.

OP
PVS31sInTheDark
I’ve decided to purchase some Warne rings which will allow for me to put the bases directly to my dovetail. Won’t need adjustment bars now, problem solved.

Alexjay

FNG
Have you looked into the DNZ Game Reaper scope rings? No lapping required and perfect alignment due to their design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I have the scope mounting kit from Wheeler and the alignment bars were included. That being said, I've not bought a base or set of rings that wasn't perfectly aligned. I've used Vortex Pro rings and Seekins rings with a Talley rail and they've always been dead on.