Mounting Swarovski 115mm to Manfrotto MVH502AH head :(

After much deliberation, I ordered the Manfrotto MVH502AH pair with my Swaro 115mm ATX. It arrived today and to my surprise, there is a serious incompatibility issue. With the scope mounted to the quick release plate, the diameter of the 115 objective prevents you from sliding the QR plate back onto the head.

I've been able to insert the blank QR plate (no 115mm attached), slide it all the way forward until it stops and install the 115 there, then slide the plate and scope back (until the objective touches the front of the head). This, however, leaves the weight of the scope too far forward and results in a forward tilt if not locked.

While this is not the end of the world, it's not ideal - renders the counterbalance ineffective and renders the quick release ineffective (to dismount, need to slide the plate all the way forward to access the fixing screw under the plate to free the scope).

I've looked but I may have missed something simple - like a female Arca Swiss female receiver I could mount to the Manfrotto QR plate allowing me to secure the Swarovski Arca Swiss base directly into the female receiver. Any ideas or should I move on and get the Swarovski PTH or CTH and be done with it?

OP
T
If Swarovski made a 'taller' foot, that would be the perfect solution. Outside of that, a spacer to sit between the Manfrotto QR plate and the Swaro foot would be ideal. The only thing I've found is something like this Manfrotto 577, but that would essentially mount a QR base to the head's QR plate. Would (should) work but adds unnecessary points of failure and complexity.1445598076_IMG_545582.jpg

fatrascal

WKR
So I had the 95mm objective and just recently sold it and have a 115mm ordered. But I used the same tripod set up for the 95 objective that you are using and I had no problems. So I'm wondering if its the 115 getting wide before it gets past the end of the mounting plate? Fatrascal.

OP
T
That's right... The business end of the 115 prevents you from sliding the 115/QR plate into the QR base. The 115's foot needs a little boost so that the front end clears the QR base.

OP
T
Well I dont have an answer. Call Outdoorsmans and discuss your dilemma with them and see if they have an answer. Fatrascal
Thanks for the tip... more than I wanted to spend but their balance rail may be the perfect solution for me. I've got one on the way. Will post back here once it's in hand.

Balance-Rail-Quarter_1043x782.jpg