Mouth calls whats everyone running.

As i was cleaning out my turkey bag of old and new. Christmas gift and purchased i laid out all my mouth calls and going to start to discard the blown out ones or ones i dont like.
I carry 3 or 4 while hunting. It will be a mix of Phelps calls and pinhotie calls.
I ran zinc for many years before these and really like them.

Attachments

• FE8CDC9E-0BAA-47C7-87DB-9907D019F312.jpeg
    FE8CDC9E-0BAA-47C7-87DB-9907D019F312.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 16

Holocene

WKR
Gracious day, that's a lot of mouth calls brother!

I settled on Hook's Prodigy C from Shane Simpson's website Calling All Turkeys.

He's got a great video on there called "Mouth Call Mechanics" and a test kit to determine whether you blow a center, left, or right cut reed the best. Good turkey hunter and provides a lot of educational content on the web. I can't tell if his calls are proprietary or just Hooks or it's all the same.

Hunted last year with a South Carolina buddy last year who had some Houndstooth calls and they sounded really nice. Well, he did to me more precise. Might try some of those.

dtrkyman

WKR
Commercial calls I roll with Woodhaven. A good friend of mine makes mouth calls for the industry, last ones I know of were Knight and Hale. He builds something like 100k per year by hand!

He makes all my calls, I hunt and guide with him every year and when I end up at his house he throws a few together for me.

I like combo cuts, ghost and cutter mainly. Big difference in his he builds for me personally is they not stretched nearly as tight as a store bought call. Haven't bought a call in years!

OP
S
Commercial calls I roll with Woodhaven. A good friend of mine makes mouth calls for the industry, last ones I know of were Knight and Hale. He builds something like 100k per year by hand!

He makes all my calls, I hunt and guide with him every year and when I end up at his house he throws a few together for me.

I like combo cuts, ghost and cutter mainly. Big difference in his he builds for me personally is they not stretched nearly as tight as a store bought call. Haven't bought a call in years!
Thats a buddy i need

bradb

WKR
I use mostly Hooks, the smaller tape fits my mouth better. I have a handful of different ones from them. No matter the call I do like flying the call both ways in my mouth for change in pitch and sound

hobbes

WKR
I've used a lot of different calls through the years from all the bigger commercial guys; HS, K&H, QB, MAD, Primos, etc. I used Hooks for a few years and would just call and ask that they send me wider tape. I don't like their standard narrow tape.

I used Motherlode Calls for a few years after Hooks. The last couple years I've used DC Custom Calls mixed in with Motherlode since I've still got a few extras. I typically sprinkle in a few other production calls because I'll spot one and want to try it. I e had a few HS mixed in the last couple years.

It looks like DC Calls isn't making many calls this year so I may try something new. I like combos and Ghost cuts but have used just about everything if I thought it sounded good.