Mouthy coyote...

Yotehntr

FNG
I bought a new 22-250 a few months ago and was to lazy to work up a load specifically for it. It has a tight chamber and was showing psi signs so I worked up a new load for it. I'm using 53 sierra match kings and was really trying to stay away from high psi but wanted an effecive hunting round. I've never tried the matchkings before and wasn't sure how they would perform on coyotes. As far as accuracy they do much better than the v-max and noslers I tried. I'm getting just under a 3/8" 5 shot group @ 100 yards. pic below. (3700 fps)

IMG_7781.PNG

So I was happy with the group, I've just wanted to see how they'd do on a coyote. Me and a buddy went out this morning and we started calling. We had at least a pair light in with barks and howls. We were sitting pretty high above on a hill and one popped out of the woods (300+ yards) heard my Mt cur whine, I looked back (wish I had a pic) he was standing on his hind legs watching the coyote. lol after a little more calling she came in closer and I shot her at 167 yards. There was no splash no exit, just bang flop. I believe I'll stick with this load for a while!

IMG_7777.jpg

mcr-85

WKR
I bought a new 22-250 a few months ago and was to lazy to work up a load specifically for it. It has a tight chamber and was showing psi signs so I worked up a new load for it. I'm using 53 sierra match kings and was really trying to stay away from high psi but wanted an effecive hunting round. I've never tried the matchkings before and wasn't sure how they would perform on coyotes. As far as accuracy they do much better than the v-max and noslers I tried. I'm getting just under a 3/8" 5 shot group @ 100 yards. pic below. (3700 fps)

So I was happy with the group, I've just wanted to see how they'd do on a coyote. Me and a buddy went out this morning and we started calling. We had at least a pair light in with barks and howls. We were sitting pretty high above on a hill and one popped out of the woods (300+ yards) heard my Mt cur whine, I looked back (wish I had a pic) he was standing on his hind legs watching the coyote. lol after a little more calling she came in closer and I shot her at 167 yards. There was no splash no exit, just bang flop. I believe I'll stick with this load for a while!
Nice job. Does your cur engage the coyotes much? My dad and I made one dry stand yesterday with my dogs and my dad's dog. The country we went to call had a big sheep herd and a pack of great pyrenees with them. We moved passed the sheep a ways and went to the top of a big ridge to howl to try to locate coyotes. Those big sheep dogs barked as soon as we howled and hauled ass our direction across a big canyon. They were doing their job and we decided there probably weren't many coyotes wanting to play in that country.

OP
Yotehntr

Yotehntr

FNG
I use the curs to find the coyotes if they run... they've really gotten good at it! lol (pics below) I hate going where they have pyrenees. Worry they'll get into a fight with my curs too, I do the same as you did, I head out! Seems like I forget to take pics most of the time but every once and a while I'll snap a couple before I put them out of their misery. What kind of dogs are you using?

IMG_5564.jpg
Roi Dan BW.jpg
curs2.jpg

mcr-85

WKR
I use the curs to find the coyotes if they run... they've really gotten good at it! lol (pics below) I hate going where they have pyrenees. Worry they'll get into a fight with my curs too, I do the same as you did, I head out! Seems like I forget to take pics most of the time but every once and a while I'll snap a couple before I put them out of their misery. What kind of dogs are you using?

View attachment 295902
View attachment 295903
View attachment 295904
I have a kemmer/leopard cur x and a catahoula blue lacy x and my dad has an airedale jack russell x.

Attachments

• 20210130_181521_capture-01 (1).jpeg
    20210130_181521_capture-01 (1).jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210429_213544.jpg
    20210429_213544.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 9
  • gus2.jpg
    gus2.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190523_194916.jpg
    IMG_20190523_194916.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 13
OP
Yotehntr

Yotehntr

FNG
LOL I'm betting they get rough too! Hunting is just more fun with dogs!