Move from NJ to MT or CO? Need guidance.

Gobbler36

WKR
ID was awesome not so much anymore WY is the last stronghold or id throw in the Dakotas as well, awesome hunting and you can jump over to Mt and down into WY to hunt

Jimbob

WKR
Honestly just make it happen. You can move again in a few years if you find a better place. Life is short and sharing in big adventures with your spouse is an awesome experience. My wife and I packed up our family and moved to a small town in Northern BC with no prior visits. 3 years later and we are in awe of our new home. The community is amazing and the outdoors are a dream come true.

It worked out for us but if it didn't then no big deal, we would have just tried a new place.

Good luck.

Jon Boy

WKR
If you and the lady can handle brutally long and cold winters than mt. If not, co. In the last 12 months we've had significant snow fall in mid September, a full on polar vortex in late october, and im thinking we just got our last snowfall a little less than 2 weeks ago until september. Personally, I'm over it and looking for other places to live. I've seen it tear more than one marriage apart. Generally the wife wants to move back home and the husband wont leave.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3forks

WKR
I am a 4th generation CO native and moved to MT mostly to hunt and fish; but also to escape the crowds and politics of CO.

I lived in MT for 20 years, we recently moved back to CO for my wife’s career.

I can say certainly, that the same issues I tried to move away from in CO exist in Montana. Also, anywhere in Montana that is close to good trout fishing and skiing will have a lot of the issues that people are griping about on here. Of course, if you moved somewhere on the high line or middle of the state, you would be living in a very conservative area - but it takes a different type of person/couple to live in one of those more rural places and making a living is tough.

To the OP, Billings is not considered a nice town by a lot of folks. It’s got crime, sprawl, and is an industrial town. There are big box stores and chain restaurants in Billings - but not much beyond that.

Also, snow and cold may be something you and your wife are familiar with; but the wind in Montana and grey skies for most of the winter may be something that you are not accustomed to.

I wouldn‘t recommend Colorado to anyone, but as others have pointed out - there‘s a reason so many people want to live here (Economy, weather, recreation, etc.). *I personally think Denver‘s proximity to the middle of the country makes it function similar to a drain in the middle of a floor... it just seems to attract a ton of douchebags and clowns from the rest of the country.

Also to the OP, I wish it weren’t this way - but expect to have a difficult time being accepted into a smaller more conservative community. You sound like you’d make a good neighbor, but I know that regardless of a person’s views or however nice they are, it takes quite a while for transplants to be considered welcome.

I lived in Bozeman and worked for a company that was unique in that it allowed a lot of people from other parts of the country to make a living in that town. A lot of people that we hired would move their families based on their enthusiasm for the area, but as soon as they got sick of the limited shopping, dining, and experienced a winter/cold spring or two- they’d be gone.

motts

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I went through a similar process almost two years ago and spent time researching in both states. We are also from NJ, although a little further North and West in the Sparta area.

As you already mentioned regarding Colorado, the home prices and COL were not what we expected. We were also turned off by potentially having to compete with everyone and their brother to get out of town and into the moutnains on the weekend (the Friday evening, Saturday trafic was insane, but we probably should have seen it coming in hindsight). We were also unimpressed with the housing - everything seemed to be in a development. Super liberal as already mentioned. We liked Durango, but that's obviously a lot further south, not as developed as the Denver/Front Range area and may not work for your wife employment-wise. We were also surprised by the number of homeless people in the greater Denver area (Durango, too).

We both loved all of Montana and almost moved to Missoula as my wife was one of two final candidates for a position out there, but they ended up going with the other individual. Billings seemed to be the most "conservative" of the three main areas we visited (Billings, Bozeman and Missoula - we wanted to go to some other areas a little further north like Helena but didn't have the time). Billings seemed kind of "tired" though, and reminded me of an old PA coal town like Wilkes-Barre in a lot of ways.

Bozeman was my personal favorite, but I can see where it will be getting more expensive as there was a lot of development going on, and I felt like a fair number of the people around there had a bit of an attitude - similar to what I've seen here in places like Bernardsville, Basking Ridge, Summit, etc. in NJ. There's probably some truth to the name "Bozangeles" people throw around on here. It would still be my personal pick if I could afford to just up and move anywhere I wanted though.

Missoula struck me as the most similar to some of the smaller towns around here as it had everything you could ever need but still tons of easy access to the outdoors. It was also probably the most liberal of the three areas, but I will say it also seemed to have the most vibrant sense of commmunity. It was my wife's favorite of the three main areas we visited. I feel like there were a fair number of homeless here as well, which I didn't expect.

We were also going to try and get over to Idaho up around CDA, but, once again, we just didn't have enough time.

Hope some of that helps, but you definitely need to get out there and see it for yourself.

Brendan

WKR
Jackson, WY? Although, real estate will make you gasp even coming from the east coast. And, probably the most liberal and busy place in Wyoming with the proximity to the national parks. Definitely a vacation destination, definitely busier than many places, but won't phase you coming from the east coast. If you're a skier, you've got Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee (Drool....) Pinedale is easy driving distance from Jackson. As busy as the place is, I would love to live there, or about 10 miles away... Snake River Brewing Company and The Mangy Moose are two of my all time happy places.

Bozeman, MT?

What about Flagstaff or Sedona, AZ? Get your AZ residency, and drive for out of state hunting?

Titan_Bow

WKR
Do guys really put politics that high up the list of considerations? Let’s say an area fits all the checkboxes you want, but you realize the prevailing politic views are opposite of yours. Would that prevent you from moving there?

My wife and I moved to Colorado 15 years ago, and up until the last 3-5 years, I really loved it here. I don’t give a rats ass what others think politically, but the thing that bothers me is coming out on the Monday of opening elk and seeing 20 trucks in the trail head parking lot!! Having to get up at 4am and get the family out the door no later than 5am if you just want to take the kids on a hike. Fighting for parking at trailheads, hard to get away from the crowds on any of the better known fishing spots. It just seems that every year what drew me to Colorado, is losing its appeal as you have to fight more and more crowds just to recreate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeti_man

FNG
I've lived in 9 states in 12 years ( Atlantic City, Egg Harbor Township was on the list) and live on the front range now above 7,000ft. I can tell you from friends who live in Montana snow sticks there a lot longer than in Colorado (on the front range). It typically melts in a couple days... Sure there are blizzards but it doesn't stick around like michigan, montana, etc. Anything is going to be a drive. (30-60min). If you have the coin Larkspur is a nice area. Close to Denver, close to mountains and about an hour from the S. Platter river which is loaded with about 5,000 fish per mile

CO is a giant state, so it always baffles me whenever it is discussed people act like the only option is somewhere in or near the Front Range. The Front Range (kind of) makes sense for younger folks that need to find high paying jobs (usually cancelled out by the increased cost of living...).

I mentioned Grand Junction earlier, but Montrose is also worth looking into. Closer to the best mountains in the state and a bit more temperate (but still hot in the summer). Montrose is one of the hotspots for retirees that are tired of the Front Range overcrowding / "liberalization". These types of folks would likely align better with you politically and also make for quality clientele. The Montrose natives, and really the entire West Slope, are also fiercely conservative.

There is not traffic anywhere on the Western Slope. The mountain towns are still crowded, but the further from Denver the less crowding. And the best mountains by far are closer to the West Slope.

yeti_man

FNG
CO is a giant state, so it always baffles me whenever it is discussed people act like the only option is somewhere in or near the Front Range.

I mentioned Grand Junction earlier, but Montrose is also worth looking into. Closer to the best mountains in the state and a bit more temperate (but still hot in the summer). Montrose is one of the hotspots for retirees that are tired of the Front Range overcrowding / "liberalization". These types of folks would likely align better with you politically and also make for quality clientele. The Montrose natives, and really the entire West Slope, are also fiercely conservative.

If I had my way i would be much further west if not in Montana. I prefer the snow but had to compromise with my better half. Life doesn't afford such possibilities yet. I prefer less people and those who think in the centered right minds. Front Range is my only experience that I can comment on that is both relevant to his position having lived in NJ also. (this comment is only for upping the post count)

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
CO is a giant state, so it always baffles me whenever it is discussed people act like the only option is somewhere in or near the Front Range. The Front Range (kind of) makes sense for younger folks that need to find high paying jobs (usually cancelled out by the increased cost of living...).

There is not traffic anywhere on the Western Slope. The mountain towns are still crowded, but the further from Denver the less crowding. And the best mountains by far are closer to the West Slope.
For the wife and I GJ would have been a 40% pay cut but only 25% lower cost of living compared to Denver. I’ve come to believe that there’s a reason why small towns are small, very few can find work/afford it.

OP
F
Do guys really put politics that high up the list of considerations? Let’s say an area fits all the checkboxes you want, but you realize the prevailing politic views are opposite of yours. Would that prevent you from moving there?

My wife and I moved to Colorado 15 years ago, and up until the last 3-5 years, I really loved it here. I don’t give a rats ass what others think politically, but the thing that bothers me is coming out on the Monday of opening elk and seeing 20 trucks in the trail head parking lot!! Having to get up at 4am and get the family out the door no later than 5am if you just want to take the kids on a hike. Fighting for parking at trailheads, hard to get away from the crowds on any of the better known fishing spots. It just seems that every year what drew me to Colorado, is losing its appeal as you have to fight more and more crowds just to recreate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally politics wouldn't be as big of an issue but after 3 months of our Governor having a daily press conference which I need to watch most to be informed for my job and then seeing him defy the bill of rights has worn on me. In his opinion a nursery so I can buy a tree to plant in my yard is an essential service. If I want to go to Church I can't because he has said they need to be closed. The same as I can buy a tree but a firearm I can't because as he said he feels only the good guys like the state police should have them. But just this week his AG said they are going to disclose any police that have any complaints over the last twenty years and post it to shame them. There is no upside to this! It only further strains the public's perception of police. He should have said from this day forward we will have a database of any complaints and the punishment if any. Then as I stated in my OP I have the bitch from hell living next door. This C word moved in with her father 8 years ago after Hurricane Sandy because she is so miserable she can't hold on to a job for more than 4-6 months. She is just a bully and makes a scene at almost every town council meeting about something. Last week I have a turkey in the smoker and it is almost done so I am sitting in my yard and all of a sudden I see a hand full of weeds come over our fence and throw the weed into my yard. I called her on her shit and threw them back into her yard. For the next ten minutes she and her sister are yelling and cursing me out. I just laughed and wished them a great day! Then on Saturday I came back from a 3D shoot and am sitting on my back deck with my wife only to find a security camera mounted on their home aimed at my back deck. It didn't cover any of her property. I sent a text to a friend to ask his wife to find out if she could do it. While I did that my wife called the police to ask and they sent two cops to check it out. The cops said it technically isn't illegal unless it is aimed at a window of my home but it's definitely not a very nice move and went to talk to them. They said they know the law and as long as they weren't aiming in a window to go F yourself.

I have always lived a simple life in that I treat people with respect until they disrespect me. I have never bothered anyone in my life and just want to be left alone and enjoy my life to the fullest with my wife and family as well as bowhunt, hike, fish and ride my road and mountain bikes.

Last edited:

aggieland

WKR
Damn, that sucks.. The bad news is city's have finally gotten so messed up that city dwelling people are making the move to places I have wanted to move to for years. When or if my time ever arrives where I can make the move, I'm afraid the last good places will be a mess already. I keep moving my gaze to more and more desolate places,. I figure AK will be the last standing area where someone could in a truly rural area..

SonnyDay

WKR
Man, that sucks. I had a crappy neighbor situation that we moved away from (for other reasons) and I didn't realize how much it affected my daily life until we had moved.

Can you build a fence high enough to block the camera? If not, can you install an "art piece" that blocks that thing? Plant bamboo?

Good luck.

OP
F
Man, that sucks. I had a crappy neighbor situation that we moved away from (for other reasons) and I didn't realize how much it affected my daily life until we had moved.

Can you build a fence high enough to block the camera? If not, can you install an "art piece" that blocks that thing? Plant bamboo?

Good luck.

We are waiting on a call from the local code enforcer to better understand what our options are.

Since we live a block from the water we were flooded with 14 feet of storm surge during Hurricane Sandy so our homes have been lifted higher than what they were. She has the camera mounted on her back deck aiming at our and they are both about 16 feet off the ground so we can't put up a fence. I thought of mounting or american flag there but it wouldn't cover it. The cops suggested planting a tree but it would be very hard to get one tall enough to block it when it is first planted. My wife wants to put up a 15' american flag like what you would see outside a business with the company name or offering. I can get that for like $75 on amazon but we want to make sure we aren't breaking an ordinance because she has nothing better to do than cause problems.