Move to Alaska?

That sure looks like a woman to me in the second pic. :D

Where did you get the boots you both have on? I worked at Anheuser-Busch Brewery in the '80s and they gave us these boots for work and dang if I can find them anywhere. They are great wet weather boots and I'd sure like to get another pair.

Thanks,

Eddie

No Alaskan home would be complete without a few pair of XtraTuf’s.
4389c9a63a0cde915fc517ca1d220b58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
No Alaskan home would be complete without a few pair of XtraTuf’s.
4389c9a63a0cde915fc517ca1d220b58.jpg

You must not wear those very often to still possess “MADE IN USA” xtratuffs!! I hope they last your lifetime. The new ones are garbage.

You must not wear those very often to still possess “MADE IN USA” xtratuffs!! I hope they last your lifetime. The new ones are garbage.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard. My son is actually wearing a pair right now that he wears every day, and we have two or three more pairs down at our cabin that we pretty much wear all the time while we’re down there. Gotta love them XtraTuf’s!

Clarktar

WKR

I remember buying another pair when my USA ones wore out. The new pair fell apart quickly, then I realized the change in manufacturing.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I remember buying another pair when my USA ones wore out. The new pair fell apart quickly, then I realized the change in manufacturing.

My work finds me outside ALOT, Living in SE. I try not too, but I find myself in the Ketchikan sneakers way more than I’d like just due to weather. They’re terrible for your body unless you put a good insole in them. And even still, they aren’t the best to be in 8 hrs a day.

Anyways that being said, since the change in manufacturing overseas, I bet I blow through a pair every 6-9 months. The soles wear out and start to leak from the bottom up, seemingly always at the worst times too. Not a fan.

OP
BFR

BFR

WKR
Two earthquakes this morning and a winter weather wind and snow advisory...in April. Just adding more insight into Alaska for ya! Lol

Grew up on the San Andreas and Black Wolf faults, what doesn’t kill ya makes ya stronger. Same for sub zero, we see it every year.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I live in Ketchikan. Spent 10 years in Sitka before Sitka Gear launched a brand. I boated you Kuiu island before Kuiu was a company.

It’s a simple equation. Move to AK if you want to be an industrious contributor to a small community. Bring your talents and resources and build your family something special. You won’t appreciate lower 48 virtues here. The culture invites a resourceful capable soul to grow roots in a place still very much entrenched with Mother Nature.

As a man I’ve enjoyed the pursuit of excellence
Not in cars, stocks, and women but in miles, tides, and peaks.
Thats funny Bighorse, I feel relatively at home there in AK, and have done similar in small remote communities I have been a part of in the lower 48.

Bighorse

WKR
Tuffs, as we call em are great footwear. The reality is you have to develop great (not good) lower leg strength and conditioning. The intertidal zones and off trail environment demands full range of motion for proper foot fall. The xtra tuff moves well with your foot as long as your lower leg conditioning is on point. Think climbing shoes and the utility associated with them. Rocks, logs, swamp, ect.... anything wet and uneven. When packrafting, boating, and traversing wet habitat they are handy. I’m taking them to Kodiak soon for a bear hunt, the insulated variety.

z987k

WKR

Have you tried mucks? I made the switch after the xtratuffs went to crap. Not only is there a lot more arch support, but they don't fall apart in 6 months. And they make insulated ones!

as.ks.ak

WKR
Have you tried mucks? I made the switch after the xtratuffs went to crap. Not only is there a lot more arch support, but they don't fall apart in 6 months. And they make insulated ones!

I actually have an insulted pair that I’ve had for like almost 10 years. They’re pretty skookum.

Do you have an uninsulated pair?

z987k

WKR
I actually have an insulted pair that I’ve had for like almost 10 years. They’re pretty skookum.

Do you have an uninsulated pair?

I just have the insulated. I've not found a personal need for uninsulated.

Do it! I worked two contacts at Providence Hospital in Anchorage in 2012 and 2013. Man I could of stayed. Wanting kids and them knowing family brought me to KC.

The locals love to share Alaska with you. Just don’t ask about hunting spot or fishing spot. Also be careful not to fish in front of someone or you will find a small leak from a hook in your waders. All jokes aside, have fun and don’t look back.

Visited kenai last year for fishing. Would move there in a hot second but wife is not interested in the cold. So louisiana it is.

emarr

FNG
There’s a job open in Dillingham- does anyone have any input about the area?

Not trying to hi-jack.

I know this is an older post. I live in Dillingham and love it here. Happy to share more about my experience here and what Dillingham is like.