Move to MT?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
youll have to clarify this. if you bought property, and you pay property tax on it, and the state is electing to return some property tax that you paid, back to you, why would it matter if you are a resident or not?

if you dont pay income tax to a state, i can understand 100% why you should not get income tax back-even if you own property in that state.

If you own a "summer" home in Montana you get zip back on your property tax, if your work & live here (and pay income tax as a resident) you get some property tax relief- caused by all the inflationary havoc that damn "summer" properties have reeked on residents living here. Home values here (which property taxes are based on) have gone through the roof. There are folks who have their homes paid off and can barely pay the property taxes on them and its continuing to go up with no end in sight.

Don't like it, simply move your "summer" home to another state or start paying income tax as a resident.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you own a "summer" home in Montana you get zip back on your property tax, if your work & live here (and pay income tax as a resident) you get some property tax relief- caused by all the inflationary havoc that damn "summer" properties have reeked on residents living here. Home values here (which property taxes are based on) have gone through the roof. There are folks who have their homes paid off and can barely pay the property taxes on them and its continuing to go up with no end in sight.

Don't like it, simply move your "summer" home to another state or start paying income tax as a resident.
I like this plan, although it probably wouldn't have much of an impact as the types of folks owning summer homes probably won't sweat the small refund they might otherwise get.

What I'd like to see is the state go after the rental income of NR's. The amount of people buying up property that they rent out (mostly Air BNB) is really pricing folks out of the market. It also causes a huge scarcity of rental properties for folks who actually live here. This is a huge problem up here in the Flathead valley and I've heard the same issue is hitting Missoula and Bozeman really hard as well.

I'm not sure how they would do it, but they could probably do something like require reporting for rental income to the state and the state gets something like 10% if you aren't a resident.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ that's an area I haven't gave much thought to, but sounds right- hopefully someone in Revenue is on the ball enough to insure they're reporting it as income as a minimum

i wholeheartedly can not believe yall are advocating for more government in your life. government is rarely, if ever the answer to anything.

I will try to not be abrasive, so constructive is my angle im attempting here:

I like this plan, although it probably wouldn't have much of an impact as the types of folks owning summer homes probably won't sweat the small refund they might otherwise get.

What I'd like to see is the state go after the rental income of NR's. The amount of people buying up property that they rent out (mostly Air BNB) is really pricing folks out of the market. It also causes a huge scarcity of rental properties for folks who actually live here. This is a huge problem up here in the Flathead valley and I've heard the same issue is hitting Missoula and Bozeman really hard as well.

I'm not sure how they would do it, but they could probably do something like require reporting for rental income to the state and the state gets something like 10% if you aren't a resident.
^ that's an area I haven't gave much thought to, but sounds right- hopefully someone in Revenue is on the ball enough to insure they're reporting it as income as a minimum
ive typed numerous statements out, none of which were good. If envy, jealousy, resentment are the emotions on display, i simply have no good comment for you. your state is changing, my recommendation, instead of hiking 2023 miles this year, be at your state capital instead of outdoors or on here moaning.

be the change you want to be, make the change you want to see.

Me, I think I will be looking for land to make Montana as advantageous to me as applicable by law. Resident tags sound grand 👌 😎

Shraggs

WKR
I continue to hold out hope that this is simply another peak in a cycle. Think back to the 60's and 70's...peak hippy liberal nonesense. The children of those hippies rebelled against that and the country switched back to more conservative values during the 80's and 90's. I've already seen some exciting examples of the next generation rebelling against all of this nonsense they are being exposed to in schools.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I hope you’re right on that - guess I’ve seen a few signs from the generation after millennials what ever the name is. I fear that current lawmakers, and their tactics for forcing change compliance etc will leave little room to “return” to pre woke/fascism

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Montana is like every other western state right now. You'll enjoy your time and never want to leave but it will chew you up, eat your savings, and spit you back out as a much poorer man. If you're serious, I wish you the best.