Move to WY?

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Putting some solid thought into moving to WY; main reason is for a change of scenery and to be in the mountains/close to them. Love being in the outdoors and for a couple years think it would be fun while the kids are young along with myself/wife being young. Any good areas recommended for combination of good elementary schools/mountain views/access for hiking/fishing/regional airport within 1 hr? Appreciate the help in making a big decision. Normal 4 person family looking for 250-350k house/land range.
Note: Both are jobs are staying the same just remote.

ewade07

WKR
look at sheridan. little town close to the mountains, lots of outdoor things to do there. i lived there on and off for two separate jobs. it was great. housing is starting to creep up there in price but its not too terrible.

jmez

WKR
There are no commercial airports in WY. Sheridan would be the best bet with airport in Billings. Cheyenne close to Denver but no mountains.

JLDemo

FNG
Laramie would be a solid option. Lots of fun stuff to do for the entire family, close enough to Denver and the mountains. I lived in Cheyenne for a number of years and frequented Laramie. I'd move back to either given the opportunity, prefer Laramie.

For fishing and hiking access you could look at Pinedale. About an hour to Jackson that has commercial airline service. Just be prepared for the "9 months of winter and the 3 months of shitty sledding."

I have no idea how the schools are.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hot rod, I’ve heard that. Man that wind is nasty. Your wife will hate it. Only thing I’ll say is that Colorado isn’t where you want to be, everyone knows Idaho is the outdoorsman’s paradise.

jmez

WKR
I'd probably pick Red Lodge, MT if looking for a nice small mountain town close to an airport.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Buffalo, and Sheridan would be two places I would check out. Also, Casper might work as well.

FWIW I would take a chance and make the move. Especially if you can work remotely and not have to worry about finding a new job.

Broomd

WKR
Love life where we are, but I'd probably move to the Laramie area if I were in your situation. Overall WY is a solid choice for escaping the idiocy that is now America.

Just be sure that mountain access is available and not beyond some rancher's fence-line. Much of WY mountains are landlocked in that way.

Last edited:
OP
Bucky

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
U mite want to reconsider Wyoming.. Wind howls all year long winters are long cold and brutal.. There no elk or deer any more because of the griz and the wolves... Colorado sound like heaven;)
Lol

OP
Bucky

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the great advice and input. With no income taxes where does WY typically drive revenue? From oil/gas taxes? I see property taxes are pretty low.