Move to WY?

wytx

WKR
I'm sorry but folks just don't hole up in their homes all winter. We have skiing, snow shoeing, snow machining, ice fishing etc all winter long. Folks are out and about even when it's well below zero.
32 years up here hasn't affected our marriage at all.
We have auto repair here in town, lumber yards, hardware stores, etc. it's not the arctic.
We also have capable doctors and a hospital, wow almost like civilization.
And that auto registration comes into play at tax time.

It's not for everyone but certainly not a bad place to live.

Broomd

WKR

We have airports all over the state and most mountains are not landlocked, WTH were those comments?

That was MY comment.
Much of WY's mountain wilderness access can be difficult, ask many of us how we know that. After 32 years as a local you obviously know your way around that.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider
That was MY comment.
Much of WY's mountain wilderness access can be difficult, ask many of us how we know that. After 32 years as a local you obviously know your way around that.
How? Do you get said access, that is?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
I'm sorry but folks just don't hole up in their homes all winter. We have skiing, snow shoeing, snow machining, ice fishing etc all winter long. Folks are out and about even when it's well below zero.
32 years up here hasn't affected our marriage at all.
We have auto repair here in town, lumber yards, hardware stores, etc. it's not the arctic.
We also have capable doctors and a hospital, wow almost like civilization.
And that auto registration comes into play at tax time.

It's not for everyone but certainly not a bad place to live.

I love some of these threads....everystate says "its WINDY HOLD ON!" or "winters are cold" hahaha yeah its winter and your fairly far north...it happens. I believe the OP is also from WI....sure he knows what cold and snow is. Funny thing I've been in the eastern half of WY a ton and never thought the wind was bad...maybe a day or two but they way people make is sound is ridiculous.

WKR
That was MY comment.

No it isn't. Hunting wilderness as an out of stater is one issue, but wilderness access is not difficult at all.

4ester

WKR
Wyoming winters have taken there toll on plenty and they have moved back to warmer climates. Have seen many come and go.....and depression and divorce are more prevalent here.

Seems like the wind never stops in eastern WY. It’s better but still plentiful here in Western WY.

Oh and don’t California our WY. Aka..... we love WY the way it is so don’t come here and try and change things. Lol.

Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
Curious, what does 'an out of stater' have to do with anything? Guide requirement?
I'll try and make this my last comment here, I don't care enough to comment beyond this.

4ester

WKR
Curious, what does 'an out of stater' have to do with anything? Guide requirement?
I'll try and make this my last comment here, I don't care enough to comment beyond this.

In wilderness, Non-residents are required to have a guide for hunting.

3forks

WKR
I’ve seen this posted pic posted before, and believe I saw where this map was from 2015. I can’t verify the accuracy - but apparently the Kalispell DMV office sticks a pin in the map every time a new resident converts their license from their previous state.

1597369269106.jpeg

Last edited:
Something to consider when looking into Wyoming is vehicle/RV registration is probably 3-4 times what you are used to. I paid just under $400 to register my wifes SUV last month. I bought a new side by side this year and the registration fee on that was $600. Homeowners and vehicle insurance is also going to be more as well. You also may be traveling considerably more to get to dr. appointments, kids sports/other school activities, major hardware/home repair stores or get vehicles serviced. A lot of people I know that have moved here thought they would be saving all this extra money with no state income tax but it ends up being a wash with the additional property/registration taxes and fees you have to pay if you have multiple vehicles and a lot of toys.
😂 Under $400!! I'll take that! Try the $900-$800 mark for my pickup here in California. Absolutely terrible! Anywhere else is cheaper than here, property taxes included. From my research it is at least double what Wyoming is. Our family is definitely looking to be residents there, sooner than later.

Beckjhong

WKR
...what if all the opinions provided are accurate based on experiences? I’m a transplant to Wyoming and wouldn’t live anywhere else. I love the outdoors, a hunting/fishing friendly culture, a real community, being left alone and leaving others be, and the expectation that your neighbor is a stand up guy until proven otherwise. I just hope other transplants appreciate those values and don’t try to change it “like where they came from.”

TheViking

WKR
U mite want to reconsider Wyoming.. Wind howls all year long winters are long cold and brutal.. There no elk or deer any more because of the griz and the wolves... Colorado sound like heaven;)

Colorado sucks. Been here 13 years now, really reevaluating it. WY, MT sound much more appealing. The weather won’t be as nice, but I’m willing to sacrifice that for all the crazy left wing nut jobs that have taken over and trashed it here.

Last edited:

3forks

WKR
Colorado sucks. Been here 13 years now, really reevaluating it. WY, MT sound much more appealing. The weather won’t be as nice, but I’m willing to sacrifice that for all the crazy left wing but jobs that have taken over and trashed it here.

I agree with you - Colorado is shot.

One word of warning from me as we recently moved back from MT to Colorado... expect to have to deal with the same shit you dislike about Colorado if you chose to live anywhere in Montana that is close to good trout rivers or skiing.

wytx

WKR
Non residents only have to have a resident guide for big game hunting in wilderness areas, and I still can't figure out why all the NR think all the good animals are in the wilderness areas. I've never hunted in one.

OP
Bucky

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
The hunting is the easy part if a resident or non resident.. started this thread as advice on the dos/donts of moving to certain areas of WY with the family. Don't want to move to some dog shit down if I can prevent it when a better option is right up the road. Every town/city in this country has its pros and cons however some much further on the ends of the spectrum. Thanks for all the input!

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I was born and raised in Casper and have since come back after being gone for school and training for a few years. I also lived in Laramie for college, if you have questions about a specific town shoot me a message I’d be happy to help