movin to colorado

bnsafe

WKR
well as alot of you know from other sites im movin to colorado, windsor area, sometime in december. i wont be able to apply for resident tags at the draw cause you gotta live there 6 mos but im gonna put in for pref pts for about everything and buy leftover or otc when ive got my 6 mos in. any other advise would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have things lined up bud!! Go OTC for Elk and Antelope and then for deer you can look into left-over tags or look into heading to Nebraska for some whitetail does!!! NR tags are like $55 for 2 does plus a $20 state habitat stamp.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks evan, didnt know they had otc antelope tags, that really really excites me. i know a guy in nebraska that will let me kill a mulie doe for a small fee. not sure what co has for mulie leftovers but i will do my research. i cant wait to get out there. this is a dream come true and i shoulda done it years ago.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
we will only be about 45 minutes from cheyenne so i will look into that if i can find some public huntin. waterfowl is my passion so hopin i can find some public huntin for that

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
thanks evan, didnt know they had otc antelope tags, that really really excites me. i know a guy in nebraska that will let me kill a mulie doe for a small fee. not sure what co has for mulie leftovers but i will do my research. i cant wait to get out there. this is a dream come true and i shoulda done it years ago.

Mule deer does can be had easily in the NF, SRA and CRP plots of Western NE but the nine day rifle season is madness. Haven't been to whitetail country yet this year but EHD has been hammering them. Good thing they were way over objective to start. For NE antelope if you're willing to ask farmers will let you on but most times they'll try to talk you into shooting everything in sight.

bbrown

WKR
Don't mean to be a downer but I live in the Fort and public land waterfowl is tough - there are a few spots but you have to be early and ready for combat wing shooting with alot of HIGH pass shots. Can be very frustrating!!!
Find some access to some private and you will be MUCH happier and succesful.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks bbrown, thats about what i expected. i wont fight it, if i have to i will take a weeks vac and come back to mo. do you have to lease the private or will owners let you hunt there if you ask. doesnt do much good to ask around here

Yukondog

WKR
Waterfowling is tough! Public gets hammered by everyone that lives on the front range. The CDOW does have a reservation system and some good shooting can be had. I have searched for the last 10 years for good spots. It is rough going. Unless you can pony up a lot of coin. Most outfitters have all the goose fields and water holes tied up. I do know a guys who spend thousands to have a spot each year. One guy rides the coat tails of a friend who spends 15k+. They knock some bills off of the ducks and geese though.

Hit me up when you get here. Be happy to take you out. Be warned, the more miles you drive east the better and even then most hunts are over in 30 minutes or less.

Matt

I'm jealious I've been tryin to talk my wife into moving to Colorado for 2 years now. But she won't leave her family. Hopefully one day!!!

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
hang in there flatlander, it took me 19 years to wear my wife down.
yukondog, i will take you up on that if you dont mind. east sounds fun to me. im use to getting up at 2 am, driving 1:30 hours to stand in line and try to draw a spot. if you get in you got a good hunt, if not you get to drive home for nothing. i was hopin co was different but sounds like its gonna be a hard time to get decent hunting. oh well, its worth the work.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
yukon, you will have to come back to mo with me to hunt also

Yukondog

WKR
As crazy as it sounds Kansas and Nebraska is not a bad idea. You have to figure that there are several million people from Ft Collins to CO Springs, any and all public gets hit hard. The birds are shot at as if using surface to air missles. Sky busting is a cancer here it seems because if you see birds you get so excited you unload your gun. I have had some real barn burners here though. Like everything else we hunt location is the ultimate key. I LOVE waiting for the first duck to hit the water before I shot. Getting pressured public birds to land in your spread gives me a huge sense of accomplishment. Because I aim for that to happen lots of birds fly by. Though, I still can't get enough of it and those great days always have me dreaming and looking for that next ultimate experience.

The reservation system does help with crowding and letting birds rest. Only problem is that once the phone lines are open everyone is calling at the same time.

It would be fun to organize a Rokslide duck hunt. I believe all the reservation spots only allow 4 hunters. Water is low this year, but if we catch it right a Platte River hunt in Dec or Jan could be the ticket. When the ponds and lakes are frozen the birds are on the river.

Anyone up for giving it a go?

Matt

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
absolutely, i will be there in late december and i will go anytime after that. count me in

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
matt, you still thinkin bout a hunt in january. i will be movin out there around december 17th.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
the leftover deer tags for a resident who can scout could have as much potential as a nonresident in a premo unit who can't scout.