Moving away from alpha glass

Hi all,

I'm considering selling my 10x50 el sv Binos. They are excellent glass, but way more than I think I'll ever need hunting 99% of the time in southern MN. Every time I use them, I am amazed at how clear they are, but can't stop thinking that for less than $1000 I could likely have a really nice pair of 8x42 something that would be lighter and serve my purpose of looking at deer in the woods 100 yards or closer.

Anyone make the switch away from alpha glass and NOT regret it?

ChrisAU

WKR
I know it seems taboo, but I think I'm with you. I'm thinking my SLC's will be on the classifieds soon, I just have soo much money tied up in them and at this point in my life I don't think its justified. They are super nice, but I don't think they'll make any difference in my hunting in the near term, which is Alabama whitetail and Wyoming Antelope. Heck, I made it 15 years of Whitetail hunting without binos at all.

Beendare

WKR
When I sold my Leica 10 X rangefinding binoculars I Thought what the heck I can get two pair of Vortex vipers,8x and 15x for less money then I got for the Leicas. A mistake!

If you spend a lot of time behind binoculars that’s where the difference shows.

it was like going from my new Ram pickup back to a used 1980 beater- it sucked. I dumped the vipers quickly.

-

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
Your thought process is why I'll likely never invest in alpha glass. I primarily bow hunt whitetails in MO. I don't need anything fancy to figure out if its a doe or a shooter in the woods at 150 yards or less. The once a year trip west isn't worth the investment. If I lived out west, I think it would be different.

Jo83ben

FNG
If I were in your shoes I would say sell the Swarovski and get some used 8 or 10x42 meopta or the cabelas euro HD’s (which are meopta). Apparently they’re like 95% of what Swarovski are (in terms of glass and quality), and used you can pick them up for 400-800 bucks depending on the deal you find. That way you’ll still have near alpha glass on a vortex budget.

That being said I have a truck pair of vortex diamondbacks and a pair of Swarovski SLC’s. But if looking to downgrade I would go the above route for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
Your thought process is why I'll likely never invest in alpha glass. I primarily bow hunt whitetails in MO. I don't need anything fancy to figure out if its a doe or a shooter in the woods at 150 yards or less. The once a year trip west isn't worth the investment. If I lived out west, I think it would be different.

Yup. As I whitetail guy in WI, my BX-4’s and Meoptas are light years ahead of what I grew up using. They are pretty much ‘Midwest alpha’.

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
“Midwest alpha” . Love it!

I think every whitetail hunter around here can remember back to when you were younger and the binoculars you carried were those little foldable Tasco’s that came in a blister pack at the local farm store.

So, it’s all relative I guess.

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
“Midwest alpha” . Love it!

I think every whitetail hunter around here can remember back to when you were younger and the binoculars you carried were those little foldable Tasco’s that came in a blister pack at the local farm store.

So, it’s all relative I guess.

chadcharb

Lil-Rokslider
I've been having the exact same mental debate with my EL's. My fear is selling them and buying something cheaper and then regretting it after I do it.

JGRaider

WKR
If I didn't already own Meostar HD, SV and SLC's I'd probably agree, but since I have had them a while, I've never once thought " I sure wish I had something optics that weren't this good" when looking through them hunting. They are a pleasure to use and I don't regret it. IF I were just starting out, I'd happily hunt with BX4, Toric, etc and live happily ever after.

I think you have 2 issues going on here. One is that 12x50's probably aren't the ideal binocular for your primary hunting needs. You would be better served in magnification and weight with 8x42 or 8x32s. Secondly is the alpha glass aspect. If you can afford them, my guess is you won't regret still having alpha (maybe more entry alpha rather than top alpha) level glass. But again, your need for it is likely much less in your hunting usage - you are not likely glassing for extended periods multiple times a day like you likely would be in the more open west.

Good luck with whatever you choose and I hope you spend any recouped $$ on something fun!

Q child

WKR
Go for it. If you don't need what you have, then trade in what you have for what you need. Right at $1000 there is a lot of competition between manufacturers and as a result a lot of totally awesome options. It sounds like 8x42s would fit your needs a little better anyway.

When I sold my Leica 10 X rangefinding binoculars I Thought what the heck I can get two pair of Vortex vipers,8x and 15x for less money then I got for the Leicas. A mistake!

If you spend a lot of time behind binoculars that’s where the difference shows.

it was like going from my new Ram pickup back to a used 1980 beater- it sucked. I dumped the vipers quickly.

-

Thing is I love my old vehicles. Beat the hell out of them and don't worry about it.

Tho I don't like putting 22k behind a twenty year old one ton.
Or driving it cross country......

Crusader

WKR
Obviously, this stuff is all specific and subjective to each person's situation and whatever, but I've kinda gone the opposite way of what the OP asked about. Been hunting Missouri whitetails for 49 years and have done a handful of western hunts over the last 8-10 years. Always had the more economical gear, best bang for the buck stuff, including optics. Had kids and all the related expenses involved so never could justify/afford alpha optics. But at the age I am now (61) and because I can afford it, I figured I'd kinda earned it so I bought SLC 10x42 late last summer when prices were so low I couldn't resist. Anyway, I'm thrilled with them, as they are fantastic optics. I see no reason why they won't be my last binocs purchase ever. And I'll use them for any western hunts in my future, no doubt. Just my two cents; to each, his own. We're blessed to have options to do what we desire and feel is best for us!

OP
C
I appreciate all of the input. I should clarify that it's not really a financial decision as I bought then a few years back and it wouldn't mean anything to keep them. It's more of a use question. I made it out hunting about 10 days last year and half of those were with a bow and a lot of leaves on the trees.

While they are an excellent tool, I think I've just come to the conclusion that as I can't see past 100 yards wherever I hunt, I probably don't need arguably the best binoculars in the world to identify a shooter.

I'm thinking that they will be up in the classifieds soon and I will have to make some decisions on a different pair.

I just bought 10x42 SLC. I won’t go back to Vortex for my binos. They are now my sons this way when they need to go back again for warranty work, they are not being used for hunting. When he’s big enough to hunt I’ll buy him a better pair. Can’t shoot what you can’t see.