Moving away from First Lite

t_carlson

WKR
Might want to do a bit of reading. They have been doing blends for quite a while now, maybe 2017ish? Aerowool in its current form is one of the highest synthetic blend ratios. They have different ratios as you move up in thickness. I can’t tell if you’re saying that they don’t do it across the board or just continue to make some pure wool stuff, but they certainly do blends.

There’s plenty of stuff to dislike with most brands, but FL not using synthetics to toughen up and improve pure merino isn’t one of them.

My original aerowool hoody is circa early 2018 I think, still holding strong, and in use it a ton. It isn’t bomb proof but it also isn’t crazy delicate like some make it out to be.

I had already given up on FL when they started making blends. I expected they would move in that direction and was open to trying FL products again in the future. I checked their website during a sale in the last few years and was surprised to see how many of their products still utilized 100% merino. I thought maybe they had figured it out, but it appears not.

Maybe its a marketing thing. People are under the delusion that 100% merino is great.

In any event, their products seem to be marketed toward urban "hunters" more than actual do-ers.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I had already given up on FL when they started making blends. I expected they would move in that direction and was open to trying FL products again in the future. I checked their website during a sale in the last few years and was surprised to see how many of their products still utilized 100% merino. I thought maybe they had figured it out, but it appears not.

Maybe its a marketing thing. People are under the delusion that 100% merino is great.

In any event, their products seem to be marketed toward urban "hunters" more than actual do-ers.
Correct.....merino X is the heaviest and is all mernio with spandex blended in. The reason the lighter pieces have more synthetic is dry time and durability - the heavier pieces are by nature more durable, and dry time is less of a concern. At least that's what people say. I'm not saying it is right, but that is the reasoning manufacturers have put forth.

Interestingly enough, SG only uses 11% nylon with their merio, which they say is performance testing based. I haven't had an issue with the pieces I have used. Since they make synthetics (like sitka) I'm guessing the stink factor was most important for extended wear.

Might want to do a bit of reading. They have been doing blends for quite a while now, maybe 2017ish? Aerowool in its current form is one of the highest synthetic blend ratios. They have different ratios as you move up in thickness. I can’t tell if you’re saying that they don’t do it across the board or just continue to make some pure wool stuff, but they certainly do blends.

There’s plenty of stuff to dislike with most brands, but FL not using synthetics to toughen up and improve pure merino isn’t one of them.

My original aerowool hoody is circa early 2018 I think, still holding strong, and in use it a ton. It isn’t bomb proof but it also isn’t crazy delicate like some make it out to be.
I wear their aerowool base shirts pretty much any time I am outside hunting, fishing, camping, whatever. No trouble whatsoever.

Guys get a single tear or pop a button and decide everything is garbage. These threads are always retarded.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I wear their aerowool base shirts pretty much any time I am outside hunting, fishing, camping, whatever. No trouble whatsoever.

Guys get a single tear or pop a button and decide everything is garbage. These threads are always retarded.
Yeah no real problems with their quality, I blew out some crotches on the obsidians but the foundry pants and some of their double fronts have taken a beating, and are just fine I have some pure merino shirts from 2014 still going. Small tears and rips have happened but wife stitches them up and they work just fine

t_carlson

WKR
Interestingly enough, SG only uses 11% nylon with their merio, which they say is performance testing based. I haven't had an issue with the pieces I have used. Since they make synthetics (like sitka) I'm guessing the stink factor was most important for extended wear.

IME, it doesn't take a lot of nylon to significantly increase durability.

I tried several pieces. Actually had a lot of FL at one point.

Yeah no real problems with their quality, I blew out some crotches on the obsidians.

So what would you call a "real problem?"

Or were you trying to be ironic?

I've got a pair of Sitka Mountain pants that I've had for 4-5 years now. Wear them 90% of the time after October 1. I could almost sell them as new after a good washing.

rcb2000

WKR
I still have some pieces that are six years old and holding strong.
That said, I have moved on to Sitka and Stone glacier.

I have had none of the issues mentioned regarding FL.
When I placed orders and stuff didn't fit, they were prompt about the return.
When I wear merino, it holds together the way I would expect. Their Corrugate pants are fantastic.
Their Fusion pattern is possibly the best universal pattern for western hunting.
Their fit is for average guys, Not 6'4" 180lb triathletes.
I like and will continue to support FL.

Hnthrdr

WKR
IME, it doesn't take a lot of nylon to significantly increase durability.

I tried several pieces. Actually had a lot of FL at one point.

So what would you call a "real problem?"

Or were you trying to be ironic?

I've got a pair of Sitka Mountain pants that I've had for 4-5 years now. Wear them 90% of the time after October 1. I could almost sell them as new after a good washing.
Not trying to be ironic, Real problem would be a catastrophic failure in the field, the obsidian skinny pants blew the crotch they replaced them no issue and then next time gave me money to put toward foundry, failures of having large legs and no guesseted crotch. I own all three of the foundry models, and they have been great, the merino pair is going on its third archery season, a little pilling, but nothing major. Hunt mostly OTC in Co, nasty blow down units to get away from folks and it’s not unusual to put 5-7 miles on a day. Factor that to 20 days just in sept, mas or minus 60ish days so far and they are solid. then add in scouting, predator hunting, Rifle hunts, which though I wear the heavier pants when it gets colder. Also hunting buddies wear kuiu and Sitka pants, seem on par or better durability wise
IMO FL foundry line of pants are good to go.

Merino shirts wear out especially if worn as the only outer layer and hunting anything but super open areas, no surprises there. They could for sure do some blends and get a little more durability out of the shirts.

S.Clancy

WKR
I've never been into camo. Most of my clothes are Rab, Mammut, OR, etc. And a Grundens rain jacket for when the heavens really open up. They seem to do just fine

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Buy Gulch Gear.

Made in the USA. High quality. No social media BS.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
I use many FL products and have been pretty happy with them. I also like what ME has been doing putting $ towards public access, no company is perfect but I think they've been doing a pretty good job.

I don't mind the concept of FL. I've personally never had an issue with a piece of their gear that I can't say was misuse or that I got my mileage out of. I have moved away from FL, primarily from a sizing inconsistency, and fit issues relating to my body type with the newer gear. I do still have a few pieces that stay in my preferred rotation, but most of my gear is currently other brand(s), especially outerwear.

FHF, on the other hand, I still love, and I've beat the snot out their chest rig. The Nav Pouch has literally been a daily carry for about 3 years and it's still going...

All a matter of preference! I'd still buy FL if they came out with something that worked better than something else that I owned.

big44a4

WKR
I’ve had good luck with FL. They make the only pants that fit my legs when compared to Sitka/Kuiu. I’m 5’10/210# with a 32” waist. I own different pieces from all 3 of those brands and a few others.

Kuiu pants fit when I buy 36” waist and that’s all I wear for work. I have not found anything better than tiburons for work.