Moving back to Alaska

swat8888

WKR
For once the Army has given me my first choice of assignment...after only a 2 1/2 year hiatus they are sending me back to Alaska. Haven't been this pumped up in awhile. Cannot wait to get back.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome, Swat! I am probably biased, but I can't think of a better place to live :) Plenty of great opportunities to get outside in our great state!

When are you heading up?

sk1

WKR
i think i messed up when i was in the air force....i had to extend for 2 years if i wanted to take a 3 year tour in alaska....i turned it down, went to north dakota and got out a year later..would have been an experience!

congrats on your assignment

OP
swat8888

swat8888

WKR
I head up in April....just in time for breakup. When I leave I'll try to hold off until September so hopefully I can get 4 full summers out of the deal. Right now I'm most excited I don't have to pay my taxidermist almost the cost of my entire sheep mount to get it shipped to the lower 48, and I don't need to look for a new ATV because mines still sitting in my garage. Excited to try out the Anchorage experience, I was up in Fairbanks last time around...as you know, a little different ballgame up there. Better upgrade to a bigger chest freezer before I make the trip up there.

Anybody have any experience in Eagle River? Quality of rentals/crime/community. High on my list of potential places to live if we don't live on post...which looks to have pretty crappy housing.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Awesome Swat!! Eagle River isn't too shabby, close to Anchortown if thats important. I'd live there if I had to no problem. Housing is quite a bit more expensive for this cheapskate though. :D

I too just got my first choice of assignments (for the THIRD time!) and will be moving to AK in just a few months. I am pumped! Fairbanks though, but none the less I will be living where I have dreamed of living since I was old enough to read a hunting magazine!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I too just got my first choice of assignments (for the THIRD time!) and will be moving to AK in just a few months. I am pumped! Fairbanks though, but none the less I will be living where I have dreamed of living since I was old enough to read a hunting magazine!

Good to hear Nick!!! We'll have to connect sometime while you are up here...granted in the lower 48 we'd be considered likely in different states. :D

aggieland

WKR
I pray my family can make a trip to Alaska in the next few years, even if it's just to visit and see all the state has to offer.

Floorguy

WKR

To be honest I prefer Fairbanks to anchorage and the valley