Moving back to Trigger Release

I thing I'm going to move back to a wrist strap trigger release. I don't have trigger punching issues so I didn't have a performance reason to change things, I just wanted to try something different. currently have a Nock 2 It and I've had a lot of AD/ND shots. I may need to reconfigure how I have it setup, I know I'd much rather have a full 3 finger release(thinking of trying to find a trade for a Carter Wise Choice) The Nock 2 It is basically a 2 finger . I should probably adjust the thumb barrel too but as of right now I think I should move back to the wrist strap trigger.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I went from a index wrist release to the carter wise choice last year. On the pro side my groups tightened up and I have never shot better in my life. The downside is that I have had issues needing to constantly readjust my wise choice to make sure it will hold my draw weight. I'd make sure to adjust the tension screws periodically or risk the jaw springing open and sending an arrow to who knows where during your draw cycle. Also just a little more difficult to carry around the mountains without risk of losing it. That being said I tried going back to an index wrist release and my accuracy deteriorated as I just cant shoot long distance with one. Decided to go back to a thumb button indefinitely. Hope you find what works best for you!

OP
D
Yeah, Its nothing to do with holding the string weight and everything to do with me trying to have the proper finger lock on the release and accidentally hitting the thumb button. I had 1 ND because as I was trying to relax on the shot, the release slipped out of my fingers. I had about 3 or 4 AD's because I was trying to get set for my shot, changed hand position and hit the thumb button. Its scary AF cuz my arrows aren't tiny do nothing on impact.. They'll blow straight through a 3/4" thick fence board at 60yards

I switched from a wrist strap to a "too simple" (wise choice with no index circle, or nock2 with no circle and 3rd finger from what I've heard).

I spent a few weeks in the basement working on tension release with the thumb trigger. It is so natural now that I think I'd have a really hard time going to a wrist strap again. My groups are better, and I have the ability to punch it when I need to. But I'll say, after 4 months of practicing the tension release with thumb trigger, I don't know if I'll ever feel I need to punch it. It's so smooth...almost like what archery was supposed to feel like.

It have only had the thing for maybe 6 months but I've never had it have a problem with a 72# draw weight. I mostly shoot at 67# draw weight and the release works just fine either way. That said, I'm going to tighten the set screw tonight :)

SIR_34:16

FNG
Try increasing the trigger tension. It also helps if you remove the thumb barrel and just use the stud to trigger the shot.

Reactions: Zac

N2TRKYS

WKR
I tried a handheld release and hated it. I felt more apt to punch the trigger with it and my groups weren’t as good as with a wrist strap release. I went back to a wrist strap release and things went back to awesome.

I go back and forth between a hinge, a four finger Insatiable and a Like Mike. POI is the same for all 3. I do tend to punch so I like to mix it up. Just make sure your index release is short and the trigger sits in the 2nd knuckle(closest to palm) and continue to use BT to fire it.

TSAMP

WKR
Try increasing the trigger tension. It also helps if you remove the thumb barrel and just use the stud to trigger the shot.
I was thinking about this as I read the thread! I have a Nock2it and groups did improve and I love not having somthing on my wrist. But I've had some premature releases when that thumb screw catches my collar on my outlayer. I fold that side in now but it happened twice while hog hunting at night and really killed my confidence in the setup.

nphunter

WKR
I love my thumb buttons, I've used several but currently, shoot a wise choice. I've never tried a two-finger model but don't really see how they would be advantageous in a hunting situation or if wearing gloves etc. I have never accidentally fired my thumb buttons but have let one go when I had a major timing issue with my bow and it pulled hard off of the wall. (had rotation mods a full setting apart).

I have way more confidence with my thumb triggers, I also shoot a hinge and tension release from time to time to keep me honest. I never really had issues punching a trigger release and actually shot my wrist strap using back tension as well. The main driver in going to a thumb button was that I spend most of my days out west walking around and calling, when constantly shedding layers or adding others I always had to take my strap release off. For me, I spend days hunting without ever having a shot opportunity and didn't like the idea of always having something tied to me I never used. I keep my handheld in my pocket and have never felt like it cost me any shot opportunities, after using the handheld for the last 5+ years I can't imagine ever going back to a wrist strap.

I switched to a thumb release three years ago, I also practice with a hinge to keep me honest. I seem to shoot better with the thumb, but if I screw up I hit way left. If I screwed up with a wrist release it seemed more forgiving.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Shot a wrist release for 35 years. Developed a health case of trigger panic. Can usually push through and make the shot, but still there.
Played with thumb releases every once in a while over the years, but only found one that worked for me, Cascade 8. No longer made.
Decided this spring to make the switch. Bought a Wise Choice 4 finger. It’s been a couple months now and I’m liking the way I shoot with it. Now quite ready to sell my Mongooses, but ready to pick up a backup Wise Choice.

I keep trying to shoot a handheld I shoot a hinge pretty well and picked up a nock 2 it I'm not sold I think I shoot my wrist strap using back tension and a heavy trigger better and more consistent

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this as I read the thread! I have a Nock2it and groups did improve and I love not having somthing on my wrist. But I've had some premature releases when that thumb screw catches my collar on my outlayer. I fold that side in now but it happened twice while hog hunting at night and really killed my confidence in the setup.
This has happened to me in practice. I think this is the sort of thing that typically works itself out if you practice with your gear on. I would never have noticed the collar issue (same as yours) If I hadn't just decided one night to put on my jacket and hunting shirts. Not saying you didn't do this, just a friendly reminder...practice how you play.

Everyone is different, but from my limited experience and the experience of other hunters I talk to, a thumb release with back tension is kinda the best of all worlds. For those who tried them and went back to the wrist strap, I would bet spending more time with the thumb release would vastly improve groupings...just a thought and everyone is different.