Moving from an Eberlestock to a seek outside pack??

laclement

FNG
I have a blue widow right now. It weighs about 8-9 pounds empty. I used it on one elk hunt after picking it up used. I’m looking to get a lighter brand. I know about exo, sg, etc. does anyone have experience with seek outside breakaway packs? How do they stack up to the pack leaders?

also, thoughts on integrated vs breakaway. I like the idea of breakaway but is it necessary. I’m looking for 5-7 night backpacking capability.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried out most of the major hunting brands. The Seek Outside definitely is up there with the best of them, although some people will be turned off by the simplicity of some of their bag designs. The breakaway option is very nice and well executed, although it does take some figuring out at first. The people at Seek Outside are always eager to answer any questions and helped me to figure out my pack when I was wondering about some things.

I agree that Eberlestock cannot compete with Seek Outside, not even remotely.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Seek Outside packs are excellent. I have used Kifaru, Mytery Ranch, Kuiu. I much prefer Seek. For my and my style of hunting I like the break-a-way set up. It is all personal preference.

brsnow

WKR
I have breakaway but after having how much carry meat with integrated and a talon sounds far more efficient.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Seek outside are great but are not for beginners. The strap systems take a lot of tinkering to figure out how you like them arranged. But once you get your setup they are great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RCL

WKR
You will like Seek.
If you have problems with set up just e mail or call them.

Rokwiia

WKR
I agree that Seek Outside backpacks are absolutely amazing. I'm not a hunter so I won't be packing out any meat. In spite of that, I chose the breakaway platform because I wanted that capability for other functions. The weight penalty is 5oz over the integrated platform, which I was willing to accept.

I did not find the strap system to be complicated at all. For me, the gatekeepers system is much better than buckles. It's far more flexible and allows almost unlimited options in the way you arrange your straps.

Good luck.

OP
laclement

laclement

FNG
Thanks for all the info! I bought the Eberlestock used for my first trip out west. I had to get quite a bit of gear so I figured I could save there and upgrade for my next trip. It did ok but I know I’ll be happier with something lighter and more functional. I like the simple concept of seek. I’m not interested in a lot of pockets. Leaning towards the fortress. Now I’ll spend another week figuring out which size to get

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll echo the above comments - Seek makes excellent packs and it’s leaps and bounds better than an Eberlestock. I don’t think you can go wrong on bag size, most of the higher end packs compress down to not much bigger than the frame. If you’ve made up your mind on the fortress, there was one for sale in the classifieds recently for a heck of a good price.

Dvl_Doc

FNG
I have tried out most of the major hunting brands. The Seek Outside definitely is up there with the best of them, although some people will be turned off by the simplicity of some of their bag designs. The breakaway option is very nice and well executed, although it does take some figuring out at first. The people at Seek Outside are always eager to answer any questions and helped me to figure out my pack when I was wondering about some things.

I agree that Eberlestock cannot compete with Seek Outside, not even remotely.
And Seek Outside is made in CO. Eberlestock, while a US business, is made in Asia.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that Seek Outside backpacks are absolutely amazing. I'm not a hunter so I won't be packing out any meat. In spite of that, I chose the breakaway platform because I wanted that capability for other functions. The weight penalty is 5oz over the integrated platform, which I was willing to accept.

I did not find the strap system to be complicated at all. For me, the gatekeepers system is much better than buckles. It's far more flexible and allows almost unlimited options in the way you arrange your straps.

Good luck.
I converted every strap on my SO pack to buckles. It has a bunch of buckle locations I don't use at the moment, but I can swap around a lot faster, especially in sub zero temps like I often run into. I like the gatekeepers in June, but in December-February, I was not a fan.

SO deserves to be included with the SG, Exo, Kifaru's of the world, and their pack simplicity is part of the allure in my opinion.

I have an Exo, SG and SO, and I like all of them. I have never owned a Kifaru as I don't like their bag designs as much, but I have always read good things.

cronsman

WKR
I've used ES packs with the military for a while and to be honest, I am not impressed. SO or exo would be my choice of packs

I converted every strap on my SO pack to buckles. It has a bunch of buckle locations I don't use at the moment, but I can swap around a lot faster, especially in sub zero temps like I often run into. I like the gatekeepers in June, but in December-February, I was not a fan.

SO deserves to be included with the SG, Exo, Kifaru's of the world, and their pack simplicity is part of the allure in my opinion.

I have an Exo, SG and SO, and I like all of them. I have never owned a Kifaru as I don't like their bag designs as much, but I have always read good things.
Do you have the xcurve frame on your SG pack? If so, how does the Seek compare to xcurve? I love my xcurve and if fits me very well, but the seek has me intrigued to try.

CO-AJ

WKR
I had 3 packs in my final decision. Exo Mountain Gear, Seek Outside, and Kifaru. I do own other Seek equipment and concur with everyone on here that it is top notch. I went with the Exo pack due mostly to the frame design, and the exterior pocket layout/type. I too have an Eberlestock pack, but it is just a daypack. I absolutely love my Exo but agree that you will likely be very happy with your SO pack.

They're both called backpacks but That's where all similarities end!!! Seek outside is on another level to actually most packs. Especially to a pack that's just sold in masses over the counter!