Moving from Crispi Guides to ??

tam9492

WKR
I'm moving from my insulated Crispi Guides to something with a little more stiffness. I'd like to stay insulated (Goretex Insulated Comfort) - I've found I can still wear these lightly insulated boots year round. The Guides were comfortable, durable, and warm, but the fit was a little sloppy. I hunt eastern mountains - steep, leaf covered and slick - and I often find myself side-hilling. I also have an upcoming sheep hunt.

In the Crispi line, I'm looking at the Briskdal and Briskdal SF. As I understand, these are slightly narrower than the Guides, so I expect them to fit my foot better. Any opinions between the two?

The other boot I'm really looking at is the Scarpa Manta Tech. This checks the same boxes, but is rated slightly stiffer than the Crispi options by the guys at goHunt (great footwear resource, by the way!).

Other brands have models in this same arena, but they tend to be heavier.

Do you typically have a narrow foot? Im considering getting some Guide’s and trying to decide on wides or not. Nowhere local for me to try them on. I need a wide in about half the footwear I have, and am swimming in a wide for the other half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Never worn a wide. I don’t know if my foot is considered ‘narrow’, but I’ve never had a shoe feel too narrow.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I use birksdall SFs and guides. I don’t have narrow feet, they are about as normal as they can be. I really like both boots but for different uses. I’m really steep technical-ish stuff the birksdall gets the nod. For long days of packing with the occasional scree field I like the guides better.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
I use birksdall SFs and guides. I don’t have narrow feet, they are about as normal as they can be. I really like both boots but for different uses. I’m really steep technical-ish stuff the birksdall gets the nod. For long days of packing with the occasional scree field I like the guides better.
Maybe the original Briksdal would be a happy medium between the two...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maybe the original Briksdal would be a happy medium between the two...

I’ve never tried the regular birksdall, but the SF is a great boot to have available. As far as insulation, I think the SF only had like 200g and I have not found them to be too warm. My guides are the uninsulated version though. I got the guides awhile back for sheep hunts where I’m not in really technical terrain. I’ve been wanting to get a pair of hunters but I need to kill one of these boots first.

OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
My Guides are the insulated version, and my experience has been the same - not too warm, but warm enough when temps drop.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Ever looked at the wild rock GTX w/400 grams? I’ve been thinking about these for late season but never had insulated boots before. Feet can get cold while sitting/glassing for longer periods of time…

Last edited:
OP
tam9492

tam9492

WKR
Looked into them, but more insulation than I wanted. Not stiff enough for what I’m looking to move into now.

chilly460

FNG
I have a pair of uninsulated Guides, I'd say if you need boots with a bit narrower last look at the Schnee Beartooth as I found it narrower, possibly the Hoffman Explorer. I just did a review of boots I've worn try to help with these questions